Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: THE CASE FOR KIRBY Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2018 at 8:03pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Beyond that, we have Evanier's testimony in the Kirby trial that Stan told him that that "he and Jack had sat down one day and figured out what the Fantastic Four would be."  And in Origins of Marvel Comics, Stan says that he wrote the synopis after "kicking around" ideas with Kirby and Martin Goodman.

That still shows that it was a collaboration.  No one's saying that it all came fully formed from Stan's mind, just that it wasn't a solo Kirby creation.

We all know that Stan loves alliteration, and that led to "Reed Richards" and "Sue Storm," but did it also lead to the book's title "Fantastic Four"?

Bringing in Kirby's take on Spider-Man lends credence to the Stan side of the FF's creation too.  Stan tells Jack "Hey, I'd like to do a story about a teenager who gains the abilities of a spider--a Spider-Man!  What can you come up with for that?"  Jack's input was all wrong so Stan gave it to Ditko instead.  If the same process happened with the FF, Stan says to Jack "I want to do a team book called 'Fantastic Four'--four people who get super-powers in an accident--maybe bring back the Human Torch in some way.  How about a monster and a pretty girl?  Led by one of our typical scientist types."  Jack might have thought "A foursome?  I did a foursome over at DC!" and suggested recycling some Challengers elements--some of which Stan accepted.  (Crash landing?)

Even if Jack brought in stuff from CHALLENGERS #3, Stan still had to okay and incorporate what would work long term.

That synopsis reads like a work in process, Stan working out some ideas.  In the days before computers or word processors, it was not easy to make corrections, so you did them by hand in the margins.

Finding the synopsis seems fishy to some, but they might be imagining a pristine and empty desk except for these two pieces of paper.  I keep everything!  I imagine a drawer full of messy and crinkled random notes and files.  Was there a pile of receipts and grocery lists too?  Does anyone know what ELSE Roger Stern might have found that day?

Edited by Eric Jansen on 17 May 2018 at 8:07pm
Back to Top profile | search

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2018 at 8:40pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Kirby admit to (I think) Joe Simon (in an interview for a book that Simon wrote about comics) that he lied about being the sole creator of all of those Marvel characters and about Stan not having any hand in creating them? Didn't Kirby admit that the only reason why he lied was because he was out of work and hurt? I believe that someone on this forum pointed this out some years ago, but I could be wrong.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 May 2018 at 9:03pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

When was Kirby "out of work" post FF?

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2018 at 9:24pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Kirby left Marvel while Stan Lee was in Europe if I remember correctly, and stepped right into a better page rate and more input with DC. He wouldn't have left if there hadn't been work elsewhere.

I see the Fantastic Four as something of an outgrowth of Stan hearing about The Justice League comic selling well and their existing monster character focus. Their powers are given a monster-type quality in that first story caused by cosmic rays (not a crash) especially with The Thing, and the first villain is a monster attack type of character too.

The ITC Champions tv show of the late '60s started with an airplane crash, a lot more like Challengers, and the three people rescued by strange Himalayan hermit types were saved and received strange powers which is a bit more like the FF. But mostly I thought of '40s Kid Eternity when I first saw that series. These are old pulp fiction adventure tropes being reshuffled basically.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 17 May 2018 at 9:25pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2018 at 11:03pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Eric Jansen wrote:
That still shows that it was a collaboration.  No one's saying that it all came fully formed from Stan's mind, just that it wasn't a solo Kirby creation.

I agree with that.  All I was saying is that I think the most likely scenario is that they created the characters and story together during a plot conference, and then Stan typed up the synopsis... like typing up the minutes after a meeting.  I don't think Stan wrote up that synopsis without notable input from Kirby beforehand.   

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2018 at 12:54am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I just read the synopsis again and--if taken at face value--it's quite fascinating how LITTLE the original idea seemed like the Challengers!  It's clear that Stan wanted to concentrate on the super-powers--and their drawbacks!  Interesting observations include:

1. The Thing moved ponderously and was practically a villain (a wolf in sheep's clothing).
2. Sue was glamorous but now--literally--lost her looks!  (She would have to wear a lifelike mask to cover her permanent invisibility!)
3. Stan actually mentioned the original Human Torch, and how Johnny would differ from him.
4. No mention of costumes, but Stan did plan out Ben and Sue's regular clothes.
5. The craft did NOT crash, but managed to land.

Nothing there says Challengers!  BUT Stan DID include in the synopsis that the team felt that it was FATE that gave them their powers!  If I was typing a fake synopsis to draw credit away from Kirby and the Challengers, I certainly would have left THAT out!

The FF didn't get their costumes until issue 3.  I wonder if people would have compared the two teams if the FF remained "plain clothes" super-powered heroes.  The only real (initial) connection between the two teams is that there are four of them and Kirby drew both.

(I wonder if the dividing line identifying where Kirby started doing more of the plot is where Ben went from a villainous jerk to a lovable heart of gold type.)

Edited by Eric Jansen on 18 May 2018 at 12:56am

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2018 at 11:08am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Jason Czeskleba wrote:
And in Origins of Marvel Comics, Stan says that he wrote the synopis after "kicking around" ideas with Kirby and Martin Goodman.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Okay, pretty strong vote in favor of the "Stan wrote it up after talking to Jack" theory. :-)

BUT I still think too much is being made of the "amazing parallels" between the plane crashes. In the FF origin, you needed them in space to get exposed to the cosmic rays and on the ground to demonstrate their new powers.* The question of "how do we get from one place to the other?" has a pretty obvious answer and doesn't require someone with prior experience with comics that have a plane crash in them.

*It would've been a little crowded to do it in the rocket and disjointed to have a caption with "they managed to land safely and went home; but a few days later..."

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2018 at 7:16am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

For an idea just how convoluted creator credits can be -

Back to Top profile | search | www

Darren Ashmore
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2018 at 12:14pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

IMHO the first similarities of the FF  to the Challs was when they introduced the matching jumpsuits and the HQ  with all the gadgets,  before that FF was more akin to Cave Carson or the Sea Devils. How different would the series have been (and Marvel overall) if they had stuck to costume less superheroes?

Darren Ashmore
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2018 at 12:29pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Of course both Carson and the Devils first appeared after the Challengers but their line ups were more FF like (scientific lead, burly 2nd member, lead's girlfriend, younger 4th). Both Carson and Devils debuted in late 1960, and probably given the lead time for the creation and publication of the FF there was no influence present, but maybe Jack caught wind of these two new upcoming DC strips and at least mentioned it to Stan?

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2018 at 7:31am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

QUOTE:
And in Origins of Marvel Comics, Stan says that he wrote the synopis after "kicking around" ideas with Kirby and Martin Goodman.

Stan Lee wrote in ORIGINS that he conceived of the Fantastic Four before talking to Jack. He doesn't say anything about coming up with the names and powers of the team before speaking to Martin Goodman and Jack Kirby. He described coming up, on his own, with their basic relationships and personalities. Then he wrote: "After kicking it around with Martin and Jack for a while I decided to call our quaint quartet the Fantastic Four. I wrote a detailed first synopsis for Jack to follow, and the rest is history."

We will never know for sure who contributed what to that synopsis. But there's no reason to suspect Stan Lee was a liar about first having the idea for the Fantastic Four. And there's no reason to assume that it was the "kicking it around" with Jack Kirby that led to that synopsis containing 95% Kirby and 5% Lee, or some such creative split.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 May 2018 at 7:39am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

"After kicking it around with Martin and Jack for a while I decided to call our quaint quartet the Fantastic Four."

That reads to me as if it was the NAME that was being "kicked around".

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version