Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Using Mainstream Comics As Political and Social Commentary Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2018 at 6:56am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I guess the biggest thing, that is being frowned at 
now, is women were drawn super hot.

I blame the 90's Image style. Look at how JB, Neal Adams, John Buscema, John Romita Jr., and Walt Simonson among others drew women. Their women were attractive but there was a variety of body types not contorted and exaggerated the way that many drew them in the 90's. One could go in the same direction with males and their muscles. JB's Namor looked like he was a swimmer, the 90's Namor would sink pretty fast!

CHARACTERS should be left wing, right wing, liberal, conservative, etc. Stories should be situational, but not consistently one aspect or another.

Both sides of the political spectrum will claim that Captain America should be either right wing or left wing. I feel he represents everyone, wearing the flag doesn't mean that he has to be overly political. There can be political stories told (and have been told) but the motivations of a character should never be dictated by the writer's personal philosophy. Unfortunately, today's "pro" does that a lot.
Back to Top profile | search

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2018 at 7:14am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Cap is a product of the New Deal era. He's a "take care of the common man" type. That's just who he is. Pushing him further left than that would be out of character, but so would turning him into "privatize everything in existence" conservative.

If you take Green Arrow's left-wing views (or at least verbiage) away from him you end up with a pretty boring character.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2018 at 8:10am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

`I guess the biggest thing, that is being frowned at
now, is women were drawn super hot. I don't think that
was a right wing thing back then, but it seems to be
now`

Of course, all the male superheroes are/were 90lb
weaklings!

I don`t care who writes or draws a comic as long as it
looks good and is written well, back in the 70`s/80`s
i had no idea of the colour or gender of many of my
favourite creators (I honestly thought Sal Buscema was
a female, we don`t get many Salvatore`s in the U.K.
even now!) I doubt knowing would have changed my
opinion of their work, if it`s good it`s good!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2018 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Kelly Thompson, who writes for Marvel now*, was a blogger for CBR who once wrote that she'd follow a comic with a female lead even if it wasn't a good comic because it would encourage companies to have more female leads. I've seen a few other bloggers who have said the same about other representations. I can't spend money on a bad comic. 

*Funny story: She used to be active in her comments section and was very nice. She once commented to me that her opinion of Chris Claremont dropped because of X-Men Forever. They're both involved with the X-Men Wedding Special so I wonder if they've had any interaction?

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2018 at 10:02am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

She once commented to me that her opinion of Chris Claremont dropped because of X-Men Forever.

----

X-Men Forever read like fanfic. I don't even know how a writer can write fanfic of his own work, but Claremont managed to do so.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2018 at 11:31am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I agree. Not a favorite but a Claremont written/Grummett drawn book was nice. I didn't like The End series either. 

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2018 at 12:54pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I buy/watch Supergirl through thick and thin I guess, same for Go Girl. Also I bought various Trina and Barb Rausch paper doll type comics to support them existing more than read them. I never liked Wonder Woman though, sorry. If she was on a battle kangaroo I'd think that was cool but the character just never has spoken to me. :^)
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jabari Lamar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2018 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Mike Norris wrote:
Meyer sounds like a horrible person. Nothing I've read convinces me otherwise.

He is. He's utterly horrible, his offenses go far beyond the simple "rabble-rousing" some may try to characterize him as doing. And when caught on tape saying some repugnant things about people in the industry, from accusing woman of using sex to get hired and comparing others to pedophiles, his main defense was that was for a private group, I wish someone hadn't leaked it.

Jabari Lamar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2018 at 1:08pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Shawn Kane wrote:
Kelly Thompson, who writes for Marvel now*, was a blogger for CBR who once wrote that she'd follow a comic with a female lead even if it wasn't a good comic because it would encourage companies to have more female leads. I've seen a few other bloggers who have said the same about other representations.

I had that mentality when I was younger. Back in the 90's I would make a point to buy comic-books with Black leads for that same reason. I knew if a "Black book" failed, people in the industry would say "it failed because it's Black" (yet books with White male leads can fail over and over again - even today, people love to point to the failure of "diverse" titles, as proof of some failed agenda, but say nothing when a book like SOLO fails) and be less-likely to try again with other Black characters (that would hopefully be better). So yeah, I bought the whole run of books like that boring-ass 90's CAGE series, and that blatant Spawn rip-off NIGHTWATCH, just in hopes that they would succeed.

Of course this was in my younger  much-less-responbility-having days, where I was routinely spending a couple of hundred a month on comics (including pretty much everything Image published), because I could afford to. Those days are long gone. Now I'll still make a point to try out an issue or two of a new comic with a Black lead, but if it's not good I'll drop it.

Edited by Jabari Lamar on 16 May 2018 at 1:30pm

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2018 at 7:11pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I've not been following this "Comicsgate" debate closely, nor do I watch SUPERGIRL or read current Marvel but I find Star Trek and Star Wars fans saying they don't want any political allegory mixed with their entertainment uproaringly funny.

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2018 at 7:33pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I buy Ms. Marvel because it's the best comic Marvel has currently, and my favorite regular title period. Love the Champions, too. Though I wish they didn't copy the older heroes code-names so much. New Nova and Spider-Man are very good characters that have nothing to do with their predecessors, for instance.

But that strays off-topic. I like Waid's Captain America story. I didn't notice it being overly political. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jabari Lamar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2018 at 8:45pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Here's a Fair and Balanced reporting of the so-called "comicscate" story, 
and Mr. Meyer:

No Enemy But Peace – Richard Meyer, Antarctic Press, and Jawbreakers

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version