Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: New Wrinkle on FF, Apparently... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 February 2018 at 9:47am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

It IS possible that the exposure to cosmic rays caused the team to develop "synchronized molecules," in the same way college girls who share the same dorm room find their menstrual cycles synchronizing.

But, as noted, there doesn't seem to be much about this idea that actually ADDS to the characters.

Back to Top profile | search

Bill Dowling
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2018 at 4:39pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

How great would it be if, when they finally find Reed, they explain this to him and he laughs and says it’s complete nonsense? 

Then we find out that Ben and Johnny were tricked. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2018 at 6:13pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

3 years? 1 year in comic book years? 

•••

Please don't do that!!

I didn't start it.

•••

Does that mean you have to continue it?

•••

Well I happen to be one who likes some sort of time basis to the characters. I like characters that age and mature and grow. Time has always passed for the characters of hero books, at least in my lifetime.

I don't equate super hero books the same as say a Richie Rich. No single story should ever influence another single story for Richie Rich, but that should not be the case for Super Hero comics. 

If they were the same there would never be any intrigue, subplots, suspense...all kinds of story elements that need time to build. Boring.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 February 2018 at 8:29pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

You don't want others to experience your the characters as you first did. You want them tailored to your selfish needs.

Welcome to my IGNORE list.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2018 at 10:31pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Well I happen to be one who likes some sort of time basis to the characters. I like characters that age and mature and grow. Time has always passed for the characters of hero books, at least in my lifetime.

It is because of that kind of selfish short term thinking that has hurt sales on the Big 2 comic universes and has damaged a number of the MU and DCU characters. Aging the characters certainly hasn't helped bring in new younger readers to replace all of us old readers who are either stop reading comics or literally dying. Like the continuing adventures of the James Bond movie franchise, the Marvel and DC characters are supposed to be timeless and that any growth or changes that are made to the characters are supposed to be superficial. It's all about the illusion of change.

OMT, there is a danger to aging/maturing and changing characters, both financially and to the brand itself. A character can evolve/change and mature/age so much that they are no longer recognizable or popular with the audience (both new and older readers). Now granted, aging and changing characters might be fine for some intellectual properties that have a story with a planned beginning,middle,and end (like most manga and anime and many live action TV series and movies), but it doesn't work for any properties that were meant to be timeless and have their current adventures being set in the "here and now" and their past adventures being set "a while ago".

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2018 at 11:09pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Well, I can see how long-time readers might want the characters to change and grow, but it's pretty short-sighted IMO.

Adult issues like having children, maintains a professional career and having a healthy married relationship are the last things that young kids want to read about.

Is it any wonder why comic books have lost a lot of their luster to young people?  They're written more and more for an aging audience rather than the young audience they need to cultivate.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2018 at 2:07am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

3 years? 1 year in comic book years? 

•••

Please don't do that!!

I didn't start it. I blame whomever decided it was time for Robin to grow up. He's the first comic book character who actually aged, that I know of at least.

•••

Does that mean you have to continue it?

•••

I don't equate super hero books the same as say a Richie Rich. No single story should ever influence another single story for Richie Rich, but that should not be the case for Super Hero comics. 

If they were the same there would never be any intrigue, subplots, suspense...all kinds of story elements that need time to build. Boring.

You don't want others to experience your the characters as you first did. You want them tailored to your selfish needs. 

Welcome to my IGNORE list.

Woohoo...made it to the JB IGNORE list before my 1000 post! Interesting to see that our host feels any opposing OPINIONS are only to fill our own SELFISH needs instead of you know.....presenting a different POV. 

Edited by Robert Shepherd on 19 February 2018 at 2:08am

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2018 at 2:49am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

At least you weren't wished into the cornfield.

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2018 at 3:05am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

LOL...I had to Google that reference but then it all came back to me.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2018 at 3:21am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

It's GOOD you looked it up...it's REAL GOOD you did that, Robert...

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2018 at 9:06am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Time DOES pass in superhero comics, Robert. There's what happened BEFORE, and there's what's happening NOW. No muss, no fuss...until readers come along and demand that a FICTIONAL teenager character grow into adulthood at some point. And at what point does time stop? If we take your argument to its "logical" conclusion, Steve Rogers, Tony Stark, and Bruce Wayne will all hit retirement age. Or do you mean you want these characters to age and grow to a certain arbitrary point and then stop? If that's the case, why age them at all?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 February 2018 at 9:11am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Time DOES pass in superhero comics, Robert. There's what happened BEFORE, and there's what's happening NOW. No muss, no fuss...until readers come along and demand that a FICTIONAL teenager character grow into adulthood at some point. And at wha

••

Often I have said there are four time periods: the Past, the Present, the Future, and World War II.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version