Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: DC and Marvel Characters Throughout History Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2018 at 7:17pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Matthew, might that Vance Astro confrontation have been in MTIO #69?

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2018 at 7:23pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Eric, I was a big fan of the Batman/ Superboy story as well. Did you ever read issue #215 of the Green Lantern Corps? Grumpy alien GL Salakk visits the year 5711 A.D. and the results are... weird. Jus' sayin' is all...

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2018 at 8:16pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

That issue of GLC was....interesting. But if I remember right, doesn't either Salakk, the girl, or both of them believe he's someone else for some reason?

(Or am I thinking of a different story from the same series that involved Hal?)

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2018 at 8:05am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I remember a Superboy comic (I don't know if that was its title; we would have called it SUPERBOY) where he was called by an archeologist friend to explain some ancient carvings they found. Fortunately, now that I think about it, Superboy had already had that adventure, where he traveled back in time, and, in helping someone, made his powers known and become the sun-god-king with his likeness carved into their temples.

My favorite at the moment is the Iron Man issues where he and Doctor Doom traveled back to the time of Morgan le Fey. Baron von Doom was better suited mentally to deal with that time.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2018 at 6:10pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Brian, you're right. Iona Vane saw Salakk as her lover Solar Director Pol Manning in that story. Usually, Hal Jordan was cast in that role when he traveled to her time, but for whatever reason, Salakk was the one to fill it here.

Jack, I haven't read the issue you mention, but could it have been Superboy #166?

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2018 at 11:22pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Why specify Marvel and DC characters? Does Donald Duck In Ancient Persia not count?That was probably my favorite of all the adventure comics I had as a kid. I re-read that over and over, it was such a great piece of fantasy having the ancients all turn to dust on contact with the world outside their mausoleum! I imagine today someone would say it might traumatize a child (while they allow violent computer animated stuff that at worst gives off an aura of inhumanity), but that was a huge spark for me. Donald Duck In Old California was another, capital W O W stuff... in my opinion as cosmic as Jim Starlin, and maybe even Steve Gerber.

I remember The Avengers (from 40cent mostly John Buscema reprints) where they went back in time to try to save Bucky or something like that, but then when they got back, the present was all different! People in the streets of Manhattan were staring at them with fear and puzzlement. That was a major-league fascinating set-up, but unfortunately they kind of copped-out on exploring it any further than one annual where it seemed everything had to be set back where it all had been for the next regular issue. Later (or earlier if you followed the reprints and then they never got to these) there was Hawkeye visiting The Two-Gun Kid and all those other retired western comics dudes. There was even a stand-alone story with them in one of the Spider-Man reprints of all places. Thor and Moondragon joined Hawkeye, wore old-west clothes, and rode on a steam train; now there's entertainment! Hey, at least nobody turned into a gorilla. It's not like they knew back then there would be college courses in, and thesis on, Marvel 'mythology'.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 13 February 2018 at 11:23pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2018 at 11:52pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Rebecca, believe me, I'm no fan of the oft-heard sound of jackboots in these parts or the work of those who feel it their duty to police these threads for any infringements upon or violations of the stated rules. If you wish to sing the praises of the Barks Ducks here, you are certainly welcome to do so as far as I'm concerned.

But I must ask, as an old-school DC fan from way back when, exactly what is so wrong with characters turning into gorillas? Spider-Man knows people who turn into lizards, man-wolves, and piles of sand. Thor himself has turned into a frog. Arthur Nagan, Ken Hale, and Franz Radzik, all Marvel comics scientists, have turned into... Yes, Gorillas! Turning into a gorilla is, I believe, a proud comic book tradition.

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2018 at 12:16am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Brian, that's it! I remembered some details from the end of the story, but forgot that there would have been a body! I probably saw it some years after its 1970 publication.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2018 at 9:34am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Matthew W. - Or, it might have been in Defenders #26, when Vance Astrovik encounters Vance Astro for the first time.

Brian H. - I didn't collect Green Lantern Corps, so I missed that issue, although I seemed to recall hearing the Salakk took over the Pol Manning identity. ITEM: I think that cover is for shock value alone. ITEM: They had to put another Green Lantern into that role? Somebody ran out of ideas. Sad.

And I see nothing wrong with characters turning into gorillas, babies, giant headed characters, puppets, half-bodies, or whatever you like. Back in the 60s, Julie Schwartz found that - for whatever reason - gorillas on covers of super hero comics sold better. Thus, entrez les gorilles!

"... the oft-heard sound of jackboots in these parts..." Wow. I must be deaf to such. Discussion, sure; repression, no. And that metaphor is very disturbing to me... the effect you wanted, I guess.

Rebecca - I suspect it's just that the DC or Marvel characters were simply the ones identified so far. No prejudice against Disney, or anyone else. For example, Fawcett's Marvel Family #10, "The Marvel Family versus the Sivana Family" was a fantastic time travel story, and one of the best Marvel Family stories.

And the first story you're referring to Avengers #56 ("Death Be Not Proud!")  and Avengers Annual #2 ("And Time, The Rushing River"), where the current Avengers (Giant-Man, Wasp, Hawkeye, Black Panther, and Captain America dropping in for a visit) went back in the past to try to save Bucky or at least find out what happened to him, and the Scarlet Centurion caused them to appear for real in that time... messing up the time stream so that he could change the "present" to one where he controlled the original Avengers, and take over. Good times... well written, great art, and the time paradox was NEVER undone until Marvel started changing their own story.

Oh, and welcome to the board! Your day to walk Lockjaw is Tuesdays. Bring LOTS of plastic bags! :)

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2018 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Thanks, I think... I have a little experience in walking powerful dogs. I learned to make it my will sometimes to just go where they really want to go!

"Turning into a gorilla is, I believe, a proud comic book tradition."

Well, I read an old 'Congorilla' story and at least liked it. I was always more of a sucker for the wolf and cat people myself (I think I have all the Man-Wolf and many of the Tigra comics).

I used to love the Shazam! reprint comics in the early '70s. I still vaguely remember one where a ball of string leads Captain Marvel back through some time portal... looking it up it originally appeared in #55 of his 1940s comic. I'm sure I'd have loved Marvel Family #10.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2018 at 2:51pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Matthew, might that Vance Astro confrontation have been in MTIO #69?

Thanks for posting that, Brian, but I'm not sure it is the scene |I was thinking of. In the back on my memory, I can see Vance out of  costume and the exchange being far more brief, but I may be misremembering. 

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2018 at 2:58pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

So, yes, Ben Raab's "Truth or Death" is a bit like what Bendis does. It's also a bit like what Claremont did with the New Mutants back when he had the team meet older, evil, corrupted punk rock versions of themselves via Illyana's stepping circles. Claremont sometimes had teams of X-Men and mutants meeting their alternate selves or corrupted copies of themselves at different places in their timelines such as in Magik and the Exiles.

The difference with what Claremont did is that, as you say, these were alternative versions of characters that only existed in that story (or from that story onwards) and that is not a new device. Truth or Death - thanks for the correction to the title - and the Bendis tales with the original X-Men meeting the current team are different in that these are time travel tales which feature characters from two different times in Marvel's publishing history.

This of course is problematic if we are to accept that their are only six years, or whatever, between the FF getting their powers and the present day. In the Bendis storyline, the X-Men seem to come from the time that these stories were actually published.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version