Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Shakespeare: Plagiarist Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2018 at 11:02am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

"Any number of biographies of Edward DeVere discuss Lord North. I've consulted, for example: Edward de Vere (1550-1604): The Crisis and Consequences of Wardship by Daphne Pearson, and, Monstrous Adversary: The Life of Edward de Vere, 17th Earl of Oxford by Alan H. Nelson."

Ugh, you're going to compel me to read Nelson. Fine. And the Pearson currently seems to be the world's most expensive book on De Vere. You're killing me, man. Haha. 

But actually, I was meaning to ask about George North. I have several sources which mention Lord North. I just can't seem to find any mention of George: as he relates to anyone in question here, Oxford, Lord North, Roger North, anyone. Know of anything which mentions George's relationship to any of these folks?

Rebecca: regarding the relationship of Marlowe to Shakespeare, I find Whittemore's commentary on that compelling (though, I'm a devout Oxfordian, so, of course I would):

Edited by Laird Williams on 23 February 2018 at 1:17pm
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2018 at 11:39am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Pearson writes that Lord "North was connected by marriage with Oxford." (Page 156).

In the Illustrated Catalogue of Fine and Rare Books, Issue 251, by Myers & Co., Booksellers, London, we can read that the original manuscript of "Discourse on Rebellion and Rebels" was dedicated by George North to Lord North.

I do not have a source that discusses Oxford and George North, but since Oxford was being directly spied upon by Lord North, at the service of Burghley, and Oxford was related to Lord North, who was related to George North, I cannot imagine these men were ignorant of each other.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 February 2018 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I do not have a source that discusses Oxford and George North, but since Oxford was being directly spied upon by Lord North, at the service of Burghley, and Oxford was related to Lord North, who was related to George North, I cannot imagine these men were ignorant of each other.

••

After all, a case has been made for the Stratford Man on far less than that!

Laird Williams
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2018 at 5:45pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Michael, thank you so much for looking up that quote in Pearson for me.

Do we have proof Lord North and George North were related? Seems it's just speculation (though a fairly good one, I would agree). We don't even know when he was born, do we, or into which branch of North family? 

I am sure G North and De Vere knew one another (the Christoper Hatton connection alone is evidence enough for me)—and, given North's alliances, probably didn't like one another much. Ha.

Edited by Laird Williams on 24 February 2018 at 10:57pm

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2018 at 7:00pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I wish I could help further, Laird. I'm not remotely an Elizabethan scholar, just a fascinated non-professional.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version