Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Politically Correct Reprints Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 December 2017 at 8:34pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Are there no records in the books? No more cards in the back?
)))))))))))
Same here in Seattle. No cards. If there were cards, I wouldn't be able to tell
from just the names who were children of course. I do miss the cards though.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 December 2017 at 8:54pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Haven't had cards in the back of library books here in probably a decade, give or take a year or two. As Brian Miller said, they're barcoded and scanned. Instead of a card in the back, whenever I check out a book (or multiple books), I get a printed out slip of paper with all relevant information (including due date and my library card #) on it.

I've seen the Wonder Woman book from the picture that Michael Roberts posted for sale at an overstock liquidator store recently, but the Batman and Superman books sold out fairly fast at the local Sam's Club here. I was tempted to get the Batman book, but didn't.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 10 December 2017 at 1:09am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 December 2017 at 9:26pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

When I moved here 12 years ago I no longer had a specific room to call a library, so to decrease the clutter in my studio I took to the local library all the books I knew I would not be reading again. Took several trips, and on one of them I asked if they had any use for graphic novels.

The woman looked at me as if I had offered a complete run of Nuns and Nazis.

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2017 at 12:30am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I had the exact same experience John. I ended up donating them to a domestic
violence shelter though and they were happy to get them.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2017 at 3:34am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Even if they're not checked out, a lot of graphic novels are the perfect length to read IN the library!  I've done so myself!  (I buy the stuff I'm sure of, the other stuff gets read for free.)  And I'm not the only one.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 10 December 2017 at 4:25am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
Are there no records in the books? No more cards in the back?

Been a while since you been to a library!  There haven't been cards in books in libraries I've visited in decades! They started barcoding books in the 90s.  

I do miss those cards, reading the people who had checked the book out before me and what year they did so, but that's a bygone era. 

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2017 at 5:33am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I bought a cheap TP copy of J.B`s Superman vol 3 off
Ebay,it is not in mint condition,but was the property of
Tacoma public library,now it resides in England!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2017 at 6:32am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I have a handful of students who check trade paperbacks out of my school library (which is also a public library for my end of the county) all the time. The librarian was happy to take the donation when I wanted to unload a bunch of Marvel Ultimate and DC books.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2017 at 8:12am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

At the 30,000 square-foot branch library I work at we have hundreds of trade paperbacks in our teen area.  Many of which are reprints of "Bronze Age," "Silver Age" or "Golden Age" stories.  If you're a librarian serving teen clientele and don't have large graphic novels and manga sections you're doing a poor job - they're very popular.

And I've been working here since 1980 and we've had a computer-based circulation system since 1977.  We regularly use circulation statistics to weed out slow-moving items, however the majority of the items we remove from the collection are either items that are obsolete (non-fiction in most cases) or in poor condition from repeated use.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Warren Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2017 at 8:21pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

When I was a kid I received the Batman and Superman "from the 30s to the 70s" books as a birthday present and loved them. And my first exposure to Lee and Ditko's Spider-Man was through a paperback collection I checked out of the library. But in the 70s and 80s I was probably more of an exception than the rule. And today's kids have so many choices in entertainment and seem less interested in things that are older (speaking as the father of a 13-year-old).
But I have noticed even the libraries in our middle class area have a fairly well stocked section of graphic novels and trade paperback collections, usually in the Young Adult area, so perhaps there's hope comics will find a new audience. Of course, those comics are free. Will the young library patrons become interested enough to buy new comics?

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2017 at 11:02pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Warren Scott wrote:
... But in the 70s and 80s I was probably more of an exception than the rule...

I am betting most of us here on the board fall into that group, too. When I wrote on a previous page that the average kid these days is unlikely to be attracted to Golden-Age reprints, there is an exception for the kids that are of the mind that many of us were when we were the same age.

I know that even when I was a preteen and checking out books from the library about older comics, I was aware enough to understand some context of the period from which those stories were originally published. And even in the 1970s' most of the collections had a foreword, or accompanying text pages that explained some of the history to the new reader.

Kids like us were the exception, though, even then, when it came to wanting to read comic book stories that were decades before our time. And being that we were more inclined to read those tales, we also seemed more understanding about such things such as historical context.

Let's be honest, the average person when we were young and to this very day can't be bothered to read a postage stamp. So, those of us who were/are hardcore fans not only read more, we understand that which we are reading more, too. So, yeah, even at 10-years-old, reading a World War II story from "Captain America" in a reprint, I realized that the caricatures of the Japanese soldiers was exaggerated and racist, and I even understood it was due to the times in which the story was created.

So, again, I vote for not altering the stories for reprints. I say again that there should be some foreword or something to put things in historical context for the new reader. And for all the cries of "What about the children?", I say that the smart and/or interested kids can handle it, and comprehend it, and the kids that don't are unlikely to have the interest in such books to begin with. For those kids, even getting the book for the art is a turn off, as the average person rarely seems to appreciate what they see as antiquated artwork.

Why dumb down, simplify, and ignore history for those that don't get it, or care? And as for young children who still might be interested in comics, why can't this serve as an education about not only comics, but about the changing of societal norms throughout history? Better that, I think, than to whitewash things and pretend they happened differently than they did.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 11 December 2017 at 11:04pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2017 at 8:06am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Our local libraries have a very good selection of graphic novels and collected editions. I've donated some myself, but am hoping to fill some long boxes to donate to our local children's hospital. We have a couple big ones here in DC.
Not a bad way to spend Christmas break.

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version