Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Phoenix Resurrection Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2017 at 2:39pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Phoenix is strictly preaching to the choir. It's got zero "pull" for civilians.

I know we all know this, but that's a really poor business plan in an industry that, like many (if not all), requires new blood.

Wrestling often goes down that path, bringing in retired wrestlers, but they at least, nowadays, have the sense to make them "novelty acts" or "one-off appearances". Comics could do the same, they should be looking forward.
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2017 at 2:52pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

This feels like a correction.  I dip into the Marvel universe every few years and, last time, I was very surprised to hear that they had killed off Jean once again!  (I believe that Grant Morrison was the culprit.)  Once JB pulled off the bandaid and brought her back the first time, she was a very high profile member during the Jim Lee (and the million copy #1) era, going simply by the name "Jean Grey"--and it is this "plain name" version that made it to the movies.  This older Jean went through the Phoenix storyline there (sort of) and was later restored in a later reset.  In the meantime, Bendis brought the young original X-Men up through time, and Jean has proven to be the most compelling character in those comics.

So, to both the movie-going public and the comic-reading fans, Jean is probably the best-known (and maybe even liked) X-Man after Wolverine.  Morrison never should have killed her off the second time, and Marvel is correcting that.  And her resurrection is built in to the whole concept of the Phoenix.

Jean is possibly Marvel's best female character--their Wonder Woman.  I wouldn't mind if this "event" leaves her in her own book and, hopefully, using the name "Phoenix" (enough of this "Jean Grey" business), forever separating the heroic Phoenix from the murderous Dark Phoenix.

I can't really complain when Marvel decides to fix one of its dumbest mistakes.  IF they do it right.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2017 at 3:00pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Since the new X-Men film is supposed to resurrect* the Phoenix story again, I am guessing that's the reason for this new comic.

*Yes, I did that on purpose. :-D

Edited by Matt Hawes on 19 September 2017 at 3:01pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2017 at 3:03pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Mr. Byrne: "Is there any story in the whole history of the industry that has been dragged out for so long, and spread so thin?"

Yes, I think so, almost as old. I think the "The Dark Knight Returns" has had repercussions echoing since its publication, including three sequels in-book and two by-name sequels. And I feel that, save for a scarcity of writers, everyone has cashed in and accepted the Dark Knight.

However (and only half jokingly), it's more obvious with Phoenix because - after all - it IS Batman. But that story, dragged kicking and screaming damnably into mainstream DC, has tainted Batman forever.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2017 at 3:09pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Makes me wonder if Fox and Marvel have gotten on better terms... why else would Marvel put so much attention on the X-Men Universe and resurrect one of its most popular X-Men. (Just in time for the movie!)

Unless... there's a twist at the end of this miniseries.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2017 at 11:40pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Makes me wonder if Fox and Marvel have gotten on better terms... why else would Marvel put so much attention on the X-Men Universe and resurrect one of its most popular X-Men. (Just in time for the movie!)

In a sane world, the reason would be that it could potentially sell some comics, which is what Marvel Comics should be in the business of doing. But all they really seemed to be concerned with of late is being an IP farm for every other kind of media except comics and their comics are selling fark all. 

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2017 at 11:48pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Phoenix is such a convoluted character now, made all the more convoluted by writers that really don't seem to understand whether Phoenix and Jean Grey were two different characters.

And to be honest, I think it was Chris that started that confusion in his later stories. Once Jean was back, he seemed bent on trying to make her Phoenix again, but always shying away at the last moment. A real Rachel just confused the matter more and more.

-----

Re Gwen Stacy, I think you are correct JB, that is in fits and starts, with the occasional mega arc thrown in, while Phoenix seems relentless - it seems to be the ONLY thing any writer can think of when they write Jean
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

David Schmidt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 4:03am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I really don't understand anything about that Phoenix stuff!

It was established once that Phoenix was a cosmic entity that took the form of Jean Grey and sacrified herself to save the universe from her hunger because Jean Grey's love was the strongest...

Then Rachel Summers, daughter of Phoenix arrives from the future and she has Phoenix powers...

And Jean Grey came back from the dead and became Phoenix again (in Grant Morrison run?) then dies in a brutal scene with not even a sparks of the emotional strenght of her first death.

I think I saw on some cover Phoenix possessing... Cyclops?

And now Jean Grey's back again... as Phoenix.

Can someone please explain this to me? I stopped following the X-Men series for quite a long time. I don't even get what that Phoenix entity is!

All I can understand is how "Dark Phoenix Saga" - that amazing and beautiful story that got me into comic books - was ruined!

Edited by David Schmidt on 20 September 2017 at 4:05am

kevin john webb
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 6:10am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

No, I believe they killed her again.  This will be her third “Rising from the Ashes”.  

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 6:16am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Some years back I re-read every AMAZING SPIDER-MAN issue from the start through Roger Stern's work in the mid-80s. I definitely remarked upon how Gwen Stacy's death was not constantly referred to in the years after. The story was published, it was dramatic, and then it... passed. A few years later, the Gwen Clone story came... and then went. There was in the comicbook itself for a good decade nothing remotely like an obsession about Gwen's death. 

Perhaps, the much bigger (and worse?) impact of the Death of Gwen Stacy story was actually the death of the original Green Goblin, because then that character became something that eventually spun out into other versions and retcons and whatnot.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 6:38am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Let's consider the sequence of events, known to most people here in the Forum.

Chris and I did a storyline that turned Jean Grey/Phoenix into a villain. It was a way of muting the overwhelming presence of the character in X-MEN. Along the way, showing her villainy, I had Dark Phoenix blow up a star, and thus annihilate a populated planet.

Shooter, who had been told what we were planning, unleashed his Whim of Iron and declared that Dark Phoenix must be PUNISHED for his heinous act. Chris and I argued that cosmic characters (like Galactus, who at that stage was still in his villainous phase) were not shown to be punished for their deeds, but the Whim was unshakable on this point. Phoenix must be "taken to a prison asteroid and horribly tortured for all eternity." His words.

Aside from this sounding like some twisted Legion of Superheroes story, it was also obvious it would change the whole shape of X-MEN. There was no way they would just sit back and let this happen. Thus, I spoke the words that still reverberate in the Halls of Eternity: "F**k that! I'd rather kill her!"

Shooter LOVED that idea. Kill an original Stan and Jack character? Huzzah!

So, we did that. And the story was a pretty big deal at the time, tho not as big as it is sometimes remembered. X-MEN was still a "cult" book, and while the story generated waves in the limited fan press, it was not industry-shattering.

I moved on to the next story.

Chris didn't. He couldn't. Chris never lets go of anything, and he certainly could not let go of Phoenix. (The whole time I was working with him, he was looking for ways to bring back Thunderbird, resenting as he did that he'd been forced to follow thru on the death Len Wein had planned.) Every chance he got, he peppered the book with Phoenix references. Nightcrawler thought about Phoenix. Scott thought about Phoenix. Even Kitty, who was not even there, thought about Phoenix. And none of those scene were meant for cogitations about Jean.

Wildest of all (I thought) was when Dark Phoenix showed up as the co-villain in the X-TITANS crossover.

Not too long, and Phoenix was being referred to around the Office as "the least dead character Marvel has!" So when I suggested resurrecting Jean, based on an idea presented by Kurt Busiek, there were no objections. The Death of Phoenix had been so thoroughly diluted, adding a "chapter" was seen as doing no harm.

Only, as it turned out, it did, by opening the door to countless new Phoenix stories, even tho the whole point was that Jean had never been Phoenix in the first place.

And so, three decades later, here we are.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 8:24am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

See, i got that in your story - Jean, had never been Phoenix. Brilliant. Jean, had not killed 5 billion people. She was innocent.

Most writers seem to have not got that.
Morrison certainly didn't
Claremont vacillated between getting it and not getting it - and man did that produce confusion.

Current readers? Do they even consider this?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version