Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6
Topic: LGBTQIAPK Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2017 at 3:17pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I hate to be the one to pick a nit (well, actually, I don't too much mind) but it might be a tiny bit easier if there actually WERE an acronym instead of a collection of letters. 

Technically, an acronym is a word that is made up from the first letters of a collection of words, e.g., laser or scuba. 

All the current references for the collection of sexually differently-oriented persons is a non-pronounceable assemblage of letters. 

There was (and likely still is) the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation... GLAAD. It happens that the acronym suits a very good word for its purpose. 

I can't say this is a major contributor either way, but a real acronym might not engender that little extra aggravation that the "goddamned alphabet soup from hell!" raises.

Just a point of grammar. Please continue you regularly scheduled discussion... glaadly.

Back to Top profile | search

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2017 at 3:45pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

TERF...Trans-Exclsusionary,Radical Feminist, I am not
making this up.
--------------------------------------
There are reasons for this. I don't want to take this thread off on a massive tangent, but the transgender narrative is fundamentally incompatible with feminist theory as it currently exists.  These feminists are reacting to what they see as an attack, as popular acceptance of the transgender narrative threatens their ability to reach their goals in a democracy. 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2017 at 3:50pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I've also heard the terms "Genderqueer" and "gender fluid". I have no clue what the former means, and kind of maybe think I know what the latter means. But I could still be wrong.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2017 at 7:56pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The more new terminology/rules  come up, the more it sounds like a living game of 'Calvinball'.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 6:50am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

"Diversity" so often leads to division. The smaller the slices we make of ourselves, the greater the tendency to an "us vs them" mentality.

As I have said many times, the Melting Pot is a much better model than the Mosaic. In a melting pot, strengths are combined. A mosaic is made from broken pieces.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 8:33am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I think that further confusion sets in when you consider that  the current string of letters mixes two fundamental things.
One is about sexual preference and the other is about self perception.

Should these be connected?
Gay/lesbian/bi etc are all about the type of person you like
Trans/gender fluid etc are about the type of person you see yourself as.

I'm not so sure these need to be lumped together. If the argument is that they are lumped together because they are discriminated against, then that list gets an awful lot longer.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 9:01am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I`m not complaining,i used LGBTQIAPK as a voucher code at my Amazon Checkout and got £20 discount!

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 9:09am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Gay/lesbian/bi etc are all about the type of person you like
Trans/gender fluid etc are about the type of person you see yourself as.

---

They are very distinctive things but there's overlap. Completely divide them into two different "movements" and some people will have to go to more than one center. (The Gay Center in Manhattan became the Gay and Lesbian Center, then the LGB Center, then the LGBT Center...you get the idea.) They won't like that. 

My "shorthand" is to write "LGBT+" and leave it at that. (I do think that the intersexed have a legitimate beef -- one that starts virtually at birth! -- but yes, the more letters the more that people who don't fall under the umbrella wave it all away as annoying, at the very least.)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 6
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version