Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2017 at 4:22am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Really sad.
Back to Top profile | search

Drew Spence
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2017 at 6:35pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Link: http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/why-len-wein-felt-a-close-bond- to-his-most-iconic-creations-wolverine-and-swamp-thing

In a way, it’s ironic to think that some of the most powerful characters we’ve ever rooted for were inspired by health issues that rendered their creator, Len Wein, physically sapped of power. But according to Wein’s wife, Christine Valada, that’s exactly how the comic legend’s most well-known creations came to be.  

"Most people don't know exactly how sick Len was throughout his life," Valada (shown above with Wein and Hugh Jackman at SDCC 2008) told The Hollywood Reporter, after Wein passed away on Sunday. "He was in and out of the hospital since he was three years old. And I have always felt his characters reflected a lot of what he went through. Swamp Thing was a reflection of this body that didn't work for him. But then there was that healing factor of Wolverine, which kept getting him through it."

How cool is that? Instead of laying down and letting what ailed him derail him, Wein used it as fuel to energize his own creative powers. By finding power in weakness, Wein created some of our most beloved comic characters.

Interestingly, out of all the creations that Wein is known for – including those above and Storm, Colossus, and, Nightcrawler – the one who proved to be the most profitable was more of supporting player than a series anchor. Granted, that ensemble member was Lucius Fox, played by Morgan Freeman in Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight trilogy, which made a gazillion dollars.

With Batman being Wein’s “No. 1 comic hero,” it seems appropriate those films would help him attain some financial comfort. Although Valada, a lawyer specializing in creators' rights, made it clear that once comic book movies started catching on big time in the early 2000s, such compensation wasn’t always so easily forthcoming, particularly on Marvel’s end.

But in the end, "[Wein] was always like, 'I know what I have done and the people who know me know what I have done.'"

And so do we, Len. So do we.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2017 at 7:43pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Grew up reading many, many of his books, starting with the second comic I would ever own, The Incredible Hulk #202. I regret I never met the man to add his signature to this cherished book...

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2017 at 10:13pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

A rather...pointed quote from Len Wein on Hugh Jackman and the Wolverine films can be found here:

Darren Ashmore
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2017 at 3:57am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Very sad news. Len wrote the first American comicbook I read, Justice League issue 106 (1973), I'd been exposed to U.S. comics earlier than that with the B/W Marvel UK weeklies, but that was my first 'proper' colour comic.  He was also the editor of New Teen Titans in 1980, when at age 14 I was getting a little jaded of comics and nearly quit the hobby, Titans brought me back in.  So I guess in many ways Len was very important to my personal comicbook history. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 September 2017 at 5:38am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

A rather...pointed quote from Len Wein on Hugh Jackman and the Wolverine films can be found here:

http://comicsalliance.com/the-wolverine-chris-claremont-work -for-hire-marvel/

••

Nice of Hugh Jackman to acknowledge Len, but he "owes [his] career" to a whole conga-line of people.

Len told me, long ago, in the way of faulting where Chris and Dave and I had gone with the character, that when he conceived Wolverine the character was 18 years old with claws that telescoped out of the backs of his gloves. Chris and Dave made him older, and added the element of the claws being part of him. When I came to the book, one of the first things Chris told me was that he wanted to write Wolverine out, and I put my Canadian foot down and said no to that idea. Later, when we were discussing how Wolverine's healing factor made him practically immortal, I suggested that we make him still older, to emphasize his immortality. After I left, Chris and Frank did their miniseries, and a cascade of tweaks and modifications was unleashed.

Like so many characters, Wolverine does not have a single point of origin.

(Similarly, while I knocked over the first domino for Kitty Pryde, Chris and Paul Smith turned her into a nearly unrecognizable character, and the process continued after they were gone.)

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2017 at 9:08am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Wolverine's healing factor didn't come from Len, did it? I thought that wasn't established until your run with Claremont.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2017 at 9:11am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

On the other hand, here's a character that did not change much from Len and Dave's creation:

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 September 2017 at 9:21am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

On the other hand, here's a character that did not change much from Len and Dave's creation:

••

True, but his little sister got walloped pretty hard!

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2017 at 2:58pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Was Chris into the whole witchcraft, Wiccan thing? It seemed like he wanted to make everyone have magical powers.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2017 at 3:05pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Am I missing something, how is witchcraft a mutant power?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2017 at 3:17pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Bill, witchcraft is not a mutant power. To this end, I reference the story where the Hellfire Club swapped Storm's mind with the White Queen. The H.C. captured the X-Men and a hanger-on or two, and put anti-mutant collars on them*. But Nightcrawler's girlfriend, Amanda Sefton (you know... his step-sister)(!!!) was able to work her magic just fine.

As I recall, Illyana's mutant ability was the ability to summon and direct "stepping circles" - directable space warps that simulated teleporting.

*Yeah, they put an anti-mutant collar on Kurt Wagner... and he did not turn into a white skinned, five fingered, tailless man with blue eyes. How's THAT work?

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version