Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Q for JB X dropping the F Bomb (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2017 at 10:04am | IP Logged | 1  

..children don't read comics anymore...

•••

Can you be sure of that? And even if true, is that a good reason to shut them out?

My five year old son "reads" comics and what he can't actually read yet I read to him. Sadly I'm not able to buy him any of the main titles to read and pretty much stick to Marvel and DC's all-ages stuff because their main line is far too adult. He also likes stuff like Scooby Doo and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which oddly does a better job of making their stuff more all ages than DC and Marvel does. Maybe because the lead characters are considered more for kids? (Even though there are adults who obviously like them as well who grew up reading them, just like the classic superhero comics.)

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 January 2017 at 10:25am | IP Logged | 2  

I'm thinking back to when I was working on X-MEN, and Roger Stern used to say that Wolverine was the kind of guy who would punctuate with the f-word, while Ben Grimm was the kind of guy who would actually say "blankety-blank".

Time it was, and what a time it was. A time of innocence...

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2017 at 10:44am | IP Logged | 3  

Indeed, sir. I think some folks confuse "all-ages" with "for kids" when it means exactly what it says. Back when the main line of Marvel was still all-ages it wasn't just kids stuff. Take some of your 80's comics for example. I know Alpha Flight is far from your favorite of your own work, but the book (like most of your work) worked on two levels, the one that kids can relate to and the one that kids don't get but adults do. As a kid I didn't really get the Northstar stuff but reading it later as an adult it was obvious. This was true of most of Marvel and DC's output up until the late 80's when stuff started getting darker and more adult and has continued on that trajectory ever since. 

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2017 at 2:36pm | IP Logged | 4  

ELS: "...children don't read comics anymore..."

JB: "Can you be sure of that? And even if true, is that a good reason to shut them out"

Oh good heavens, you've misunderstood me! I still read comics (occasionally, sad to say) and it shuts ME out, at 56 years old. There is absolutely no reason or excuse to use such language.

I was being sarcastic about "children don't read comics anymore"... although I fear my sarcasm was too close to the truth to make its point. There is just no reason for that kind of language in an art form that is accessible to the entire populace. Even movies have ratings (and no, I am assuredly NOT ENDORSING ratings for comics... not again.)

As an example, Shakespeare used lots of curses... they simply didn't require profanity. I see no need for it today, and only laziness as an excuse.

Edited by Eric Sofer on 23 January 2017 at 5:47am

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2017 at 2:53pm | IP Logged | 5  

I figured you were being sarcastic, but people really do think that children don't read comics anymore though and for the most part it's probably true. Kids don't read much in general anymore and it's because unlike us when we were younger they have too many other alternatives that give them more bang for their buck.

I couldn't agree with you more, Eric, on comics shutting out us older readers and not just because of the language. I don't like almost anything Marvel is currently producing. Wouldn't read those books if they were free because I have no interest in all those replacement characters. And if kids aren't reading comics much anymore, just who are these comics they are producing for?

Edited by Shane Matlock on 22 January 2017 at 2:54pm

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2017 at 5:46am | IP Logged | 6  

Shane Matlock - I wouldn't have thought my one was that hard to discern. I'm rarely that subtle (as my family reminded me YET AGAIN this weekend... :)

Comics today are being printed for old curmudgeons who want what they read, but more to their specific fanboy tastes, giving them exactly what they demand... and because they're the audience, it seems that the publishers have to cater to them. A self-destructive circle.

Incidentally, that current crop SHOULD include me, but doesn't... because I just want art that is clean and decipherable, and stories that can take one issue, two issues, or six issues - depending on what the story takes. One of the very few books I still collect is Astro City, which hits all of my criteria.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version