Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Q for JB X dropping the F Bomb (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2017 at 12:38am | IP Logged | 1  

That is out of character for Professor X, but then again most of the movies go wildly off model when it comes to the characterization in the comics. I do think even the best role model is capable of uttering an F bomb in a moment of anger. But to have it in a movie just to get an R rating to be hip seems pretty lame.

As for swear words in the trailer, it seems like there have always been what they call red band trailers attached to r-rated movies that are basically r-rated trailers. I remember seeing nudity and swearing in some movie trailers back in the 70's when they played before r-rated movies.

Edited by Shane Matlock on 21 January 2017 at 12:44am
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Peck
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2017 at 12:45am | IP Logged | 2  

The X-Men have been out of character for over a decade
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2017 at 12:50am | IP Logged | 3  

This is true, Brian, but with the exception of X-Men The Last Stand which was freaking terrible, I've enjoyed at least something in all of the X-Men movies even though the characterization has been wildly off. I do think Marvel could probably do a better job with the X-Men movies than Fox has, but it's not like the FF which Fox has pretty much ruined when it comes to cinema. 

And it's not like the comics have a much better track record with the characters than the movies have. What they did to Cyclops in the comics over the past 10 years or so is criminal. 

Edited by Shane Matlock on 21 January 2017 at 12:51am

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2017 at 8:10am | IP Logged | 4  

Just found the trailer in question. Absolutely
embarrassing and shameful.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2017 at 8:45am | IP Logged | 5  

Hundreds of thousands of word in the English vocabulary, and that's the one that gets emphasized.

I don't remember the first mainstream comic that dropped the F-bomb, but I do recall the first time I saw the word "bastard" - "X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills", and Wolverines line, "Let's nail the bastards." I remember being surprised, but not shocked, because it was in a Graphic Novel - an obviously special story separated from the main distribution.

That was the same book in which Kitty said, "Suppose he'd called me a NIGGER lover, Stevie!" But again - shocking and startling as this was, it was in a separate context.

To paraphrase Ralph Waldo Emerson, profanity is the first refuge of the incompetent. Comic books are no place for it.

And yes, I know it's the 21st century, children don't read comic books anymore, and other acts and words in the comics make this expected. Doesn't mean I have to like it, any more than I like such language in any other venue. Obviously, I'm too old anymore...

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 January 2017 at 8:49am | IP Logged | 6  

...children don't read comics anymore...

•••

Can you be sure of that? And even if true, is that a good reason to shut them out?

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2017 at 9:23am | IP Logged | 7  

Apparently they don't go to movies either...

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2017 at 9:44am | IP Logged | 8  

I would have thought an actor of Patrick Stewart`s
standing,would have flat refused to say something so out
of character for Xavier.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2017 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 9  

With Wolverine having not-Wolverine hair, and Professor X having some hair, even outside the bad characterization and F-bombs it doesn't even feel like Wolverine and Professor X on the screen.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 January 2017 at 11:21am | IP Logged | 10  

I would have thought an actor of Patrick Stewart`s standing,would have flat refused to say something so out of character for Xavier.

••

Stewart did not seem too concerned about casting a Brit as the scion of an old Boston family, did he?

I don't know Patrick Steward, and I cannot read his mind, but I would imagine that the role of Professor X was a paycheck, not the fulfilment of a lifetime goal.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2017 at 11:36am | IP Logged | 11  

To paraphrase Ralph Waldo Emerson, profanity is the first refuge of the incompetent.

-----

David Mamet would probably disagree!

Edited by John Popa on 21 January 2017 at 11:38am

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2017 at 9:58pm | IP Logged | 12  

"With Wolverine having not-Wolverine hair, and Professor X having some hair, even outside the bad characterization and F-bombs it doesn't even feel like Wolverine and Professor X on the screen."  

Yeah, when I first saw the trailer I was wondering what was up for the hair on both of those guys, especially Professor X. Also except for a little claw popping at one point it seemed like they were trying to hide the fact that this is actually a superhero movie. Although maybe hero is the wrong word. 

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version