Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 444 Next >>
Topic: Acting Presidential Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2017 at 7:09pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Eric, we can agree to disagree on a political level, as you have done with the points I raised.  It doesn't change the fact that your initial statement about how "it's their [the Democrat's] rule" was wrong.  Democrats utilized a procedure for changing Senate rules that was available to either party as long as they can muster the 51 votes to change the Senate rules.  The rule belongs to neither/both parties.
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Doyle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2017 at 7:21pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Jeremy, I think we may both agree, no matter who devised it, it's a bad rule.  They should have to find a way to work together within the established system.  I think we both can agree the political climate isn't good long term.  Let's both hope each side can compromise a bit.  

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2017 at 7:35pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

However, the Republicans had been blocking so many of Obama's initiatives simply out of partisan spite
---------------------------------------------------------
How many Bills sat on Harry Reid's desk, why would he not bring up a vote on Obama care, same partisan spite?
•••••••••
Let's keep it real here... plenty of what occurred during President Obama's first term was not just "out of partisan spite" - it was because he was a black man. Before Obama, I had never seen so many acts of disrespect towards a President of the United States.

Now the GOP cries foul whenever they're met with any interference or criticism toward them or even Trump.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2017 at 11:37am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Eric Doyle wrote:
If Democrats were in power, would they have done the same thing?

I truly don't think they would have.  Garland was a very politically moderate nominee, and he was older than average (17 years older than Gorsuch), meaning his tenure on the court would not have been extremely long or far-reaching.  He was intended as a compromise nominee for those reasons.  If positions were reversed, I think a Democratic Senate majority would have accepted a moderate conservative nominee under the same circumstances.  They wouldn't have accepted an extremist, but they would have accepted a moderate.

McConnell's decision has short-term benefits for the Republicans, but it's far-reaching destructive consequences will outweigh that.  What's going to happen from now on is that Supreme Court nominees will only get seated if the President and the Senate majority are the same party.  Since it's pretty common for them to be from different parties, the new normal will be to have very long Supreme Court vacancies, possibly lasting years.  That will be Mitch McConnell's legacy. 

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 05 April 2017 at 11:38am

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2017 at 10:58am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Fuck you, Republicans, FUCK YOU!

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2017 at 12:22pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Whenever the Democrats take control of the Senate, they will inherit that same power benefit.

Dems will also have the power to impeach Gorsuch or any other appointments on any legal grounds, or no legal grounds, as they see fit. 

The Republicans are playing hardball, but that game will go both ways.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2017 at 3:58am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Charles, the Democrats CAN play hardball that way; but the Republicans DO, and HAVE, and there is no evidence that they will refrain in the future. Look at them stonewalling on just about every issue during Obama's tenure. While past performance does not guarantee future performance, I think the smart money says they're still going to be in it for themselves, and to hell with the electorate.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2017 at 6:39am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Sen. Orrin Hatch admitted that the GOP would have gone nuclear *no matter when* the Dems filibustered a SCOTUS nomination, because they care about getting a far-right Court.

So no deal with the GOP would have been honored; they are, by their own admission, untrustworthy and unreliable.

It's true Harry Reid opened Pandora's Box here by killing the filibuster for executive branch appointments and lower court judges--but given the absolutely toxic stonewalling of the GOP, which filibustered a record number of times during Obama's administration, I don't know that he had many alternatives.

To me, the vicious and hyperpartisan politics of the GOP set the stage for what we're seeing now. If this comes back around to bite them hard and lose them the Court for a generation, so much the better. I won't shed a single tear.

Eric Doyle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2017 at 8:39am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

To me, the vicious and hyperpartisan politics of the GOP set the stage for what we're seeing now.
------------------------------------------------------------ ---------
Democrats do the same thing, Reid wouldn't bring items to the Senate floor, and Obama with the "republican's can ride in the back", and "I have a pen and a phone".  Remember how Obama care got through? 

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2017 at 5:09pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Do you mean what actually happened or the standard Fox News rhetoric? The ACA's about as bipartisan as you can get; you have what's effectively a Republican framework (making use of private industry as much as possible and making sure all participants have to have "skin in the game") with Democratic priorities filtered in (essential benefits and subsidies). If you're using that as an example of the Democrats' hyperpartisanship, you're reaching pretty far.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2017 at 8:18pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

It still blows me away that not so long ago, a paid (and secret) Turkish agent was appointed Director of the NSA. Whoever engineered that deserves a raise. And Flynn wasn't even fired for being a foreign agent.

Meanwhile Republicans are pig-biting mad because an Obammunist conspiracy is afoot to undermine their Constitutional right to hold top secret security clearance while accepting undisclosed payments from foreign governments.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2017 at 10:36pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

All the Russia-Trump stuff evaporated now that Trump attacked Syria.  It's as if it never happened.

<< Prev Page of 444 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version