Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 444 Next >>
Topic: Acting Presidential Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2019 at 2:33pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

For those who want to avoid Twitter, here's the full text:

"For all the money we are spending, NASA should NOT be talking about going to the Moon - We did that 50 years ago. They should be focused on the much bigger things we are doing, including Mars (of which the Moon is a part), Defense and Science!"

...so, like I said: have fun trying to parse that.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2019 at 5:30pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Given MAGA has always been code for returning America to the mid-20th century, when America was on the rise, men were men, women were objects, and minorities knew their place, the obvious retro space policy move PR-wise was to get NASA to replicate its greatest achievement. Or at least announce something to that effect.

Trump last month on Twitter:

QUOTE:
Under my Administration, we are restoring @NASA to greatness and we are going back to the Moon, then Mars. I am updating my budget to include an additional $1.6 billion so that we can return to Space in a BIG WAY!

Pence is also dispatched to make his infamous "We're sending Americans to the Moon in American spacecraft, using American propellant, breathing American Oxygen and thinking American thoughts, to honor an American God" speech. PR goals achieved.

Trump however, being a financial savant (known superpower: can bankrupt any organization in a single leap) realizes that with skyrocketing debt, and needing another distraction, it's now time to issue a quick jab at NASA's inability to follow clear directions from his administration. A stable genius of the highest order, he works out that we can skip the "Moon" portion of the Moon to Mars program, and just get straight to the point by going to Mars. Brilliant.

Lastly, he points out quite astutely that those eggheads at NASA should be doing much bigger things, like defense and science, which naturally go together like a horse and carriage. Presumably in preparation for the inevitable war(s) that he will start. Seems quite clear to me.

*Edited to add 15% more hilarity

Edited by Koroush Ghazi on 07 June 2019 at 5:36pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2019 at 6:39am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

But the moon is part of Mars. 
Back to Top profile | search

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2019 at 9:50am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Trump called MSNBC host Donnie Deutsch “a total loser” in a tweet - minutes later said in another post:or people who work for the Corrupt Media, when they make false statements about me or the Trump Administration." FALSE??

Deutsch said on MSNBC's "Morning Joe" last Friday that Trump was a "despicable human being" for criticizing political rivals on "sacred ground" while in Normandy, France.

I'd say that's about right.

Also, Deutsch is right... Dems need to substitute the word "impeachment" for "Trump criminal investigations". Make crystal clear to the American people exactly what this is all about.

-C!

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2019 at 7:44am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Dems need to substitute the word "impeachment" for "Trump criminal investigations".

--

I'm down with that. Plus, news organizations need to stop using the sugar-coated word "falsehoods". I don't see what's so hard about using the word "LIES".

EDIT: And today I see another phrase - "Dubious Lines". Sigh.

Edited by Vinny Valenti on 10 June 2019 at 10:52am

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2019 at 10:55am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I'm reminded of my frustration whenever there was a news story about a new computer virus, with no mention that they only affected Microsoft operating systems. That would have done much to raise awareness of MS's shoddy security over the years.

If it was a Mac-only virus, that the reporters would have been quick to point that out (as they should).

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2019 at 12:51pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Good analogy, Vinny... wish the MSM would get better and stop sugar coating certain presidential issues.

Seems the Justice Department has agreed to turn over some of the underlying evidence from the Mueller report, including files used to assess whether Trump obstructed justice.

Why is Nadler playing along with this obvious "slow walk" to the unredacted Mueller Report? Should be simple: promise to get ALL documents to Congress immediately or charge Barr with contempt.

-C!

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2019 at 1:05pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I don't know if the Mac/Windows security issue is really all that accurate (and I say this as a dyed in the wool, ride or die Mac user).  Yes, while the hardware/software package approach that Apple takes is going to be more stable, a major reason Windows machines are more open to hacking/viruses is simply that there are FAR more of them.  Macs have traditionally hovered around 5%-10% of the market, and generally don't represent things like servers.  It's the economics of scale - fewer Mac viruses are written, and they're less likely to spread easily.  Note that the 5%-10% window is roughly what they talk about for immunization rates to maintain herd immunity.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2019 at 11:17am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

GOP strategist: (explicitly communicates to the White House that adding a citizenship question will allow them to gerrymander in ways that devalue minority votes in favor of white ones.)

White House: So like for totally not these reasons we want to add a citizenship question to the census. 

The House: We would like to see your internal communications on the matter. 

Trump: nope. Executive Privilege 

What a cunt. 

Edited by Brian Miller on 12 June 2019 at 11:19am

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 12 June 2019 at 11:20pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

George Stephanopoulos of ABC News was granted unprecedented access to Trump over the last 48 hours and what he came away with was, in a word, stunning.  The most damning to me (and most listening and/or reading about it) was offered when he asked Trump if he would alert the FBI if foreign governments offered him "dirt" on his 2020 rivals:

Asked by ABC News Chief Anchor George Stephanopoulos in the Oval Office on Wednesday whether his campaign would accept such information from foreigners -- such as China or Russia -- or hand it over the FBI, Trump said, "I think maybe you do both."

"I think you might want to listen, there isn't anything wrong with listening," Trump continued. "If somebody called from a country, Norway, [and said] ‘we have information on your opponent' -- oh, I think I'd want to hear it."

Trump went on to say...

"It's not an interference, they have information -- I think I'd take it," Trump said. "If I thought there was something wrong, I'd go maybe to the FBI -- if I thought there was something wrong. But when somebody comes up with oppo research, right, they come up with oppo research, 'oh let's call the FBI.' The FBI doesn't have enough agents to take care of it. When you go and talk, honestly, to congressman, they all do it, they always have, and that's the way it is. It's called oppo research."

Link  There is a pop up with this link, but don't close it if you want to hear Trump say the above in the interview.

This is astounding.  It's essentially a man emboldened by few if any checks on his power to state in no uncertain terms that he would take information from any foreign source, hostile or benign, if it advances his political career without alerting the proper authorities because he doesn't give two shits about potential election interference. 

"It's not an interference". 

Obama would have been crucified by the Republicans if he said that a year and a half before the 2012 election.  Their reaction would have been front-page news and it would have led the news cycle for a week or more.  I guarantee you this will be yesterday's news come Friday.

Un-fucking-believable.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2019 at 7:02am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Can't be denied: Trump is great at politics. 

Even if Mueller equivocated about his own report regarding obstruction of justice, he was blunt as can be that Russia did indeed interfere with the 2016 election. But in one quick-hit little tiny interview, Trump cast doubt on "interference," and that doubt is now both the story and the talking point.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2019 at 8:04am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

What's amazing how Trump never gets called out on his 2+2 = 5 logic.

FBI director Christopher Wray testified that the FBI would want to know about any Foreign interference in elections.

Trump says Wray is wrong because "it doesn't happen like that in life"

How can the FBI director be wrong about what the FBI wants to know?

<< Prev Page of 444 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version