Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 444 Next >>
Topic: Acting Presidential Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2019 at 10:43am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

No disagreement on either point. I just see the press trying to frame yesterday as solely Trump's fault, but I don't think it's quite that simple. Pelosi is playing a dangerous game which could backfire if she's not careful. She intentionally goaded Trump into taking the bait of walking out of that meeting, which gives him more fodder for victimhood - and that's been his MO since taking office.
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2019 at 11:40am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

It's a one-side horrible thing. They are out to get him.

So one sided that Mueller refused to make a decision one way or the other on whether he had obstructed justice. So one-sided. Which was then categorised by Trump as total exoneration. Which, to be fair, was not a one-sided representation of a multi-faceted issue...

...because it was a genuinely false comment.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2019 at 3:23pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Trump planned his tantrum in advance, he even had some signs made up just for the occasion -

Pelosi is two steps ahead and Trump is just stumbling.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2019 at 3:27pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

..... which is so ridiculous in so many levels, since Manafort is
estimated to be forfeiting $36,000,000.... the infestation actually made
money.

If Trump were actually concerned about taxpayers, he’d be behaving
very differently, from his presidential actions to his redecorating the
White House to his good trips.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2019 at 4:46pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

...oddly Trump forgot to list the number of convictions and years of sentencing as a result of the investigation?

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2019 at 5:35pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

There's a Mastercard ad in there somewhere.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2019 at 5:40pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I've noticed that people who support Trump will often say about someone who doesn't; well, you just don't like him. I don't understand where this liking or not liking plays a part in political voting, which are really hiring, decisions... at least not in a mature world. Does it matter for instance if you need an operation that your surgeon be likable? If your home is broken into do you consider if the burglar might be a likable one? So why does it mean anything if Trump is or isn't likable? It seems like something entirely beyond the subject at hand to me, like all the attention about his or anyone else's hair-dos (and donts). Oddly though a lot of the Trump people will say how they just never 'liked' Hilary Clinton, they saw a lust for power in her eyes and presumably were unsympathetic to this mostly projected on quality, something up to interpretation. Remember Michael Dukakis looking a bit awkward in a helmet on a tank, or Howard Dean and his inauthentic rallying 'whoop'? Perhaps because it often takes such incredibly superficial, even entirely subjective, flaws sometimes for a Democrat to be criticized they project onto Democratic voters that they are being similarly fickle toward their Republican standard-bearer?

Well, let's see, who did everyone like if not Jimmy Carter? That's as close to Mister Rogers as the U.S. can get for a president. But was he actually any good? Could he do the job and work with the existing systems and routines? Not really unfortunately. Wonderful person but as an outsider with limited experience he was not really able to accomplish much of anything outside foreign relations and statesmanship, which you'd expect of someone likable. Except for exceptions; this doesn't seem to be a great trademark of president Trump, so perhaps even on an objective scale he isn't really so likable, or else it really doesn't seem to be a plus or minus for the job if he is in fact very likable.

One job where likability does count is in a salesman, a pitch man... or at least someone who can pretend like they're your pal, on your side, has your point of view and needs in mind. You aren't going to find a real sour puss doing well at telling you how great a product or service is. Trump uses that word great a lot, tells you that things can be great, will be great, just buy in and believe, have confidence (and if you don't you aren't giving him a chance) so maybe he's not so much likable as a salesman? How is it having a salesman for your leader? Do you feel like he is out there selling the American dream, or is he selling something else, himself, team Trump, to you? Is it about what the U.S. and democracy is or is it more a branding exercise about how popular and likable this brand is over that other brand?

I really just don't care about liking or not liking the people we are empowering to run things for all of us. All I want is someone competent, someone with experience and a solid track record, not loads of sales pamphlets and glowing biographies written by paid professionals. I want someone who doesn't have to sell themselves to me so much, doesn't have to kiss babies and have their name on balloons even maybe; did any of that ever really win a vote? If so it seems a very silly standrad to go by. I want someone who has a solid resume, can point to work they've done in the past that would apply to the position in question. Call me goofy but I could even dislike the person for whatever superficial reason, despise their hair cut or the way they pronounce certain consonants, but if I otherwise respected them and thought they could do the job well, they'd get my vote.

Maybe I just miss Andy Rooney. He used to deliver thoughts like this on 60 Minutes, could at his best cut through a lot of hot hair and hype and get down to those brass tax, and with a dash of humor. I kind of wonder what he might've had to say about some of the current political circus we're living through? Jeanne Moos and Jake Tapper are making tries at this on CNN, but they were long ago branded the Clinton's news network so it's more preaching to the converted there. 60 Minutes was one of the last shows most people seemed able to stomach... you could imagine Rush Limbaugh and Rachel Maddow viewers alike tuning in. I don't think there's anything like that around still today if it's no longer 60 Minutes.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 25 May 2019 at 5:44pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2019 at 1:18pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Trump tweeted that the tariffs on Mexico would take effect on June 10 and remain in place until "illegal migrants coming through Mexico, and into our Country, STOP."  (He warned that the tariff will increase until the illegal immigration problem is fixed.)

Another Trump tax to American consumers disguised as a tariff.... what a great WINNING strategy headed into the 2020 election.

-C!

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2019 at 8:52am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

He tweeted earlier about taking pics of Kate Middleton sunbathing nude and selling them. What a class act we have for a president. Jesus Christ

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2019 at 1:49pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The moon is part of Mars. 

Space Force!!

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2019 at 2:00pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I’m still floored. Our President doesn’t understand why NASA always wants to go to the moon. He wants to go to Mars and and since the moon is part of Mars anyway, why do we wast our time going there? 

Do you ever wonder if he just says stuff like this to see how far he can go and still have his followers believe him? Or is he really just this imbecilic?

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2019 at 2:30pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I'd be willing to cut him some slack if I thought it were simply a grammatical error - if one is willing to read it as a statement on NASA's failure to rally broad public enthusiasm for their ongoing mission, I could see how the idea of saying "let's go to Mars!" would be more galvanizing than "let's return to the Moon."  Following that, as PART of the Mars mission, there'd be a return to the Moon.  

But who the fuck knows what he means, really?  As I said, I'd be willing to cut him some slack if it were a grammatical error, but a) it's probably not, and b) I remain steadfast in my belief that Twitter is not the platform for policy announcements, and c) how much goddamn slack are we supposed to cut this post-language, self-regarding G. Not-So-Glorious Godfrey of a President?  The man just cannot communicate a single thought without digressing into complete jumbled nonsense. Just say what you mean in a way that can be understood without it having to be parsed within an inch of its life.  

On the bright side: at least it's not more fucking racist, anti-gay, jingoistic, offensive bullshit.  How refreshing.

<< Prev Page of 444 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version