Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: JB’s FANTASTIC FOUR Omnibus Vol.2 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member
King Of Pain

Posted: 26 April 2013 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 1  

Alright, What If 36!  I love that story.  The Last Galactus Story is a nice addition, too. 

I still wish the Byrne FF Omnibus Volume 1 would have consisted of FF #232-262 and Annual 17, with What If 36 included after FF #250 and Alpha Flight #4 after FF #260.  They could have added the FF Special Edition as a bonus, since the vintage would have been correct in terms of JB's contributions.  (Maybe The Thing #7 as well -- it's a fun companion piece to FF #262, another "Assistant Editor's Month" book.  Might as well throw in JB's fine cover to The Thing #1 while we're at it.)  That would have been Byrne FF perfection -- my dream book!  Nothing against the rest of the run, which is great, but that initial period is my favorite.  Breaking up the "Trial of Galactus" stories between two omnibus volumes seems odd.

All is forgiven if Marvel comes out with a Stern-Romita Jr. Spider-Man Omnibus (including Amazing Spider-Man #224-251, minus the odd fill-ins, and Annual 16), though!  I'm stunned they haven't yet collected this run in full.  1983-1984 was quite a year for Marvel, when you could get the latest issues of Stern's Spider-Man, Byrne's FF, and Simonson's Thor at the same time.

Edited by Ian Carroll on 26 April 2013 at 1:34pm
Back to Top profile | search

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2013 at 2:31pm | IP Logged | 2  

Still not on Amazon though. Odd.
----------------------------------------
The Hatchette catalogue is for the bookstores so contains things months before seen elsewhere.

Steven Legge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2013 at 6:11pm | IP Logged | 3  

Looking forward to this one. Really enjoyed the last omnibus, only ever had the sideways issue in print as most of my collecting started just as JB was wrapping up his FF run.

So happy to hear the "Last Galactus Story" is in there. Outstanding piece of work, even if it finishes with a page of text explaining how it ends.

In my personal fantasyland, it IS finished, just sitting in a box waiting for William Roberge's cheque to clear.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 26 April 2013 at 10:47pm | IP Logged | 4  

I was in for this to begin with, but the addition of "The Last Galactus Story" is huge!!  So cool! 

Between this and IDW's JB Fantastic Four Artist's Edition, we're seeing some cool editions that this run really deserves.

Trevor Phillip
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2013 at 1:20am | IP Logged | 5  

My dream would be for JB to actually FINISH the LAST GALACTUS story for this edition.  That would be a huge selling point for the book in my opinion, aside from just it's classic nature.  It would also allow Marvel to release the LGS as a stand alone trade.

--- but I can dream, I guess.

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2013 at 7:23am | IP Logged | 6  

All is forgiven if Marvel comes out with a Stern-Romita Jr. Spider-Man Omnibus (including Amazing Spider-Man #224-251, minus the odd fill-ins, and Annual 16), though!  I'm stunned they haven't yet collected this run in full.  
----------------------------------------------------
There is a nice fat trade coming that has a lot of the run in it called The Mark of the Tarantula. 

Also coming is a trade of JB's Spider-Man work comprising The Gathering of Five and Last Chapter arcs.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2013 at 4:55pm | IP Logged | 7  

I missed the first one, so I decided to be content with my trades. I've
never read The Last Galactus Story, so now I have to rethink the
whole thing.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2013 at 5:35pm | IP Logged | 8  

I know what I'm getting for Christmas.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2013 at 6:00pm | IP Logged | 9  

I'll totally buy that!

Sean Watson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2013 at 7:04pm | IP Logged | 10  

Hey Stephen! The LGS is awesome. I highly recommend it. Back in the 80's when it came out it was so cool to get a JB story in magazine size. It is one of my top ranked JB stories. It has a unique feel to it that other books at the time did not have and a cool mystery as well.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 28 April 2013 at 12:36pm | IP Logged | 11  

"My dream would be for JB to actually FINISH the LAST GALACTUS story for this edition.  That would be a huge selling point for the book in my opinion, aside from just it's classic nature.  It would also allow Marvel to release the LGS as a stand alone trade.

--- but I can dream, I guess."

I think someone should commission the final chapter and allow it to be posted on the forum at the time when this book comes out.

File this under "things I would commission if I had the dough"!

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2013 at 4:45pm | IP Logged | 12  

Tim: I think someone should commission the final chapter and allow it to be posted on the forum at the time when this book comes out.

---

About 2 years ago, I came really close to commissioning Byrne to draw THE LAST FF STORY. The story would also include the end of the LGS. 

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version