Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 39 Next >>
Topic: A Challenge to Marvel (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 December 2008 at 9:49am | IP Logged | 1  

Uh, hasn't he lead the company to dominating the sales charts?

••

Uh, again, much like being the world's tallest midget.

++

Any 'damage' is soley subjective. Sure, the Marvel universe has become dark
and depressing, but Marvel is trying to publish some quality, interesting
books.

DC, on the other hand....

••

…is doing the same thing. You can't play the "subjective" card for one
company, then deny it to the other.
Back to Top profile | search

George Linden
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2008 at 10:24am | IP Logged | 2  

I would love it if the Big Two would create style guides and then STICK TO THEM.  Superman with a mullet?  Spider-man with mechanical arms?  Please.  
Back to Top profile | search | www

JT Molloy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2008 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 3  

We all know Spider-Man has organic arms.

Scott Daggett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2008 at 12:46pm | IP Logged | 4  

JB, that tallest midget comment really made me laugh :)

John Mietus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2008 at 12:58pm | IP Logged | 5  

The DC version would be the same as the Marvel version. Just swap the "No
X-titles" with "No multi-crossover event series that claim to 'redefine the DC
universe' that don't really."

Pedro Bouça
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2008 at 5:56pm | IP Logged | 6  

I mostly agree with JB, but I would say that there could have been stories over 3 issues in some cases. There are some great longer stories out that, and JB himself did many of them!

Also, I think that fake deaths are part and parcel of the "cliffhanger" style of serialized fiction that superheroes are part of. Like when you think the Big Villian is dead and he suddenly appears when the hero is hopeless. And Lee and Kirby used that themselves. Just because the "death" shtick was overused by the Big Two, id doesn't mean we should throw the baby along with the bathwater.

I agree wholeheartedly with the rest, though.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Juan Jose Colin Arciniega
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2008 at 6:12pm | IP Logged | 7  

Another one..."If the talent can't deliver, they don't work in the company anymore".
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2008 at 6:28pm | IP Logged | 8  

Sad thing is, Marvel is guaranteed to fail all but one of JB's criteria. And they have so many X-Men they can kill a different onel every issue for many, many years. 

Simon Bowland
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2008 at 7:11pm | IP Logged | 9  

It's amusing (to me) that many of these suggestions involves the removal of people such as Joe Q, Bendis, Mark Millar etc, and also the end of the "writing for the trade" regime. Unfortunately, the harsh reality is that love him or hate him, Joe Quesada helped to resurrect Marvel from the bankruptcy and creative stagnancy that the company was suffering from - and along with Bill Jemas, he really began to push the Marvel trade programme which brought in a significant increase in revenue to the company. It still does today. The fact is, there are people who prefer to buy an X-Men (for example) trade, rather than a monthly X-Men comic. And said trades work (and sell) far better when they contain a complete 132 page story, rather than six individual 22-page stories. Indeed, the trades have often allowed monthly titles to remain alive when they would otherwise have been cancelled, simply due to the extra revenue and readership those trades bring in.

As for ditching the likes of Bendis and Millar, the problem with that is that those two writers are responsible for the majority of Marvel's top selling comics right now, and indeed have been for the past few years - month after month. From a business point of view - and Marvel is a business, just like any other - it would be suicidal to ditch Quesada, Bendis, Millar & co from the company, because right now those guys are selling the most units. OK, so you could argue that Writer A could replace them and do an even better job in terms of sales... but unless that can be proven beforehand, you can't change what is a winning formula.

I know Joe Q isn't too popular around here, in part because he axed Hidden Years for a reason which he subsequently did a u-turn on, but... well... get over it. It's in the past, what's done is done, the book is gone and JB is working elsewhere now. Look, I love JB's work, always have and always will, and I'd love to see him working on Marvel characters again. His commissions prove that he could do an incredible job back there. But unfortunately, we all know that's not going to happen for the forseeable future. Doesn't mean Quesada is the spawn of the devil though, and people should remember that when Joe steps down as EIC, whenever that may be, he'll be leaving Marvel in a far better state of health than it was when he took over the reigns.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2008 at 10:10pm | IP Logged | 10  

Simon, Quesada did not help bring Marvel out of bankruptcy, Avi Arad did with the movies and merchandise.

And I would hardly call rehashing old plots and/or story ideas from the 80's and 90's as an example of Quesada moving away from creative stagnancy.

And while most of Bendis books are currently at the top of the charts (mostly due to gimmicks), Millar's current FF run has been under performing in on the sales charts and continues to shed readers.

Brad Teschner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2008 at 10:48pm | IP Logged | 11  

Simon...while I appreciate you telling me why I don't like Joey Q, I do have to point out that there are at least ten more prominent reasons why I think the guy's terrible for the comic industry than his canceling of the Hidden Years.

And as Rick said...movies and licensing brought Marvel out of bankruptcy, not the trade paperbacks.

Pete Carrubba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2008 at 1:16am | IP Logged | 12  

Regarding this one:  "No stories that run more than 3 issues"

Have every issue for one year be a self-contained story. 12 one-shots. No cliffhangers.

But when read in order, the 12 single stories tell a longer self-contained story.

Reading one issue wouldn't make you feel like you need to know what came before or what is coming after.

To be honest, I wouldn't know how to do it without some major thought.

Has this ever been done? All I've seen is serials with cliffhangers and stand-alone stories that just stand alone.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 39 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version