Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 33 Next >>
Topic: All Star Batman and Robin #10 Trouble (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2008 at 8:25am | IP Logged | 1  

Not every retailer received copies of the "banned" issue. I didn't, for instance,. though it appears on my invoice. Apparently Diamond sent out some copies before DC decided to halt the press. JB says DC knew of this for sometime, so I wonder why DC allowed any to be printed, at all?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2008 at 8:27am | IP Logged | 2  

Remember how Al Milgrom allegedly got treated after his little "anti-Bob Harras" lettering scandal . Which was caught, stopped and fixed and then some staffer sent the wrong copies off to get coloured. At which point it wasn't even Milgrom's fault that the stuff got to press.

But this ....

This stuff has gone through every part of the production without anybody saying "maybe we shouldn't letter the actual words" or "You don't use that kind of language in a DC comic".  This mess ultimately starts with Miller.

How much are you willing to bet that Miller will not be "Milgromed" over this. They'll probably blame it on some intern in the production department instead.

Back to Top profile | search

Brian Talley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2008 at 8:30am | IP Logged | 3  

But again, the question is why did Miller even need to put those words in the script?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 September 2008 at 8:32am | IP Logged | 4  

…I wonder why DC allowed any to be printed…

••

The glitch occurred in the printing. No one at DC new about it until they saw
the issues.

Now, granted, back when I got into the Biz we used to receive "make-
readies" (coverless first printings) that could get one final going over by
editorial before the green light was given to start up the full run. But that
was in the days when the product was more important than the prima
donnas
producing the works, and everything didn't have to be churned
out like sausages (which, come to think of it, are better inspected!) so as to
feed the hungry maw of the DSM.

Once again, the main problems in the Industry today boil down to an
appalling shortage of professionalism at every level, from creative to retail.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2008 at 8:32am | IP Logged | 5  

In my opinion, Miller is trying to be edgy. Has been that way since SIN CITY.

It ultimately fall on DC editorial to present the product accordingly.

-C!

Craig Bogart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2008 at 8:36am | IP Logged | 6  

Thing is, since the lettering was (most likely) done in Illustrator, it would
have been a step of maybe another 5 seconds to make the offending
words into paths, and then merge them with the block - meaning that
you'd get the desired effect of little aspects of the lettering sticking out,
but no danger whatsoever of the block moving or a misprint like this
occurring.

that was something else I wondered.  Is there some technical reason a different kind of ink was used to make the bars over the offending words?

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joel Biske
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2008 at 8:45am | IP Logged | 7  

I spoke with a friend the other day who informed me that a Spirit movie is coming out and that it is directed by Frank Miller (I know this isn't news). He was excited and I told him I probably wouldn't be seeing it. He argued "but it's Frank Miller". I said, "I know, obviously you've never read The Spirit."

----

I heard about the Spirit and was REALLY excited until I heard the second half of the statement "by the creator of Sin City"

Not getting my money.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2008 at 8:49am | IP Logged | 8  

In four color printing, 'black' is rarely just black. There's usually various
percentages of magenta, yellow and cyan thrown in as well. My guess is
that the lettering is 100% black, with strong amounts of the other colors
thrown in, and the blocks are probably just straight up 100% black, minus
the supplemental tones.

I can easily see how that would happen - the scripting and the blockouts
were probably done in at two separate times, meaning that the letterer had
a default color for the black lettering that just wasn't properly duplicated
on the blocks.

Joel Biske
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2008 at 8:50am | IP Logged | 9  

that was something else I wondered.  Is there some technical reason a different kind of ink was used to make the bars over the offending words?

---

I'm assuming that they DIDN'T redo the filmwork or the plates for the book. They jsut ran an additional black layer. Print black is transparent and pretty much everyone separating comics today knows enough to put a full color fill under their original black.

So the letters are say 30% Cyan, 30% Magenta, 30% yellow, 100% black. The boxes are JUST the 100% black.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2008 at 8:56am | IP Logged | 10  

I wonder why the real cusswords were printed at all if there was going to be black bars over all the words in question? And what was the problem of using the traditional "cuss symbols," with exclamation points, etc., unless that was deemed to "comic booky"? And why was it really even necessary to use real cussing, or even suggested cussing, at all? Does everything Miller touches have to be so edgy?

Frankly, I think the black bars would totally distract from the story. To me, it's not just a bad editorial decision, it's a bad creative decision.

And like with many other people,  Frank Miller continues to disappoint me. I loved his classic work on "Daredevil," "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns," and his own creator-owned works, but his superhero comics work from 1990s onward has been horrible and, to me, it seems to hold disdain towards superhero fans.

Frankly, I no more give Miller a pass than I would the likes of Warren Ellis, and other writers who apparently hate the superhero genre. If he doesn't like the genre, stop working in it.

And what has Hollywood done to Miller? Based on the marketing so far, "The Spirit" is not just a slap in the face to fans of the character, but to Wil Eisner, himself! That takes stones from "one of our own."

Edited by Matt Hawes on 11 September 2008 at 8:58am

Joel Biske
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2008 at 8:57am | IP Logged | 11  

Meanwhile, just a few doors down the hall, this book had been coming out for more than a year.

----

This is the thing that gets me.... HELLO... did anyone at DC look at the FIRST 9 issues????

I've picked up maybe 3 scattered issues because I like Lee/Williams... but EVERY time I just try to look thru the art I get pissed off at Miller... and myself for buying it....

I'd like to see them collect the art in a nice TPB with ALL the words gone.... just the art so I can look at it without being annoyed.

Shame on me for even buying more than one.... although.... I bought them all at once without looking inside... That book is the reason I won't pick up anything ever again without thumbing thru...

Simon Bowland
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2008 at 9:01am | IP Logged | 12  

When lettering, the balloons should be rich black - made up from the four individual CMYK plates. The actual lettering text, however, should be just the K (black) plate, 100% K. This way, if there's any plate shift on the presses, the text will still be crisp, sharp, and easy to read. Looks like what's happened here is the black blocks have been made from all four CMYK plates, the rich black. Because of that, it's been easy to still read the offending words.

If the letterer added the blocks himself, I'm surprised because any letterer worth their salt should know the difference between the two blacks, and thus be aware of the possible problems when the pages are printed. Maybe the blocks were added by production, after the lettering had been signed off, who knows. But you know, both the letterer AND the production guys should know what they're doing, and obviously someone there doesn't, hence the goof.

Still, didn't someone once say that there's no such thing as bad publicity? It's a little bit like when DC canned "The Boys" - all of a sudden, people were snapping up every available copy from the shelves. It wouldn't surprise me if the corrected versions of ASBAR #10 sell more than the previous issue.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 33 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version