Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 40 Next >>
Topic: OT, a cautionary tale for art collectors (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2007 at 12:00pm | IP Logged | 1  

Well, when you put it that way of course not.  I'm agreeing that it was unprofessional and ill-considered.  But if I saw that picture on a wall, without knowing the story about how it was sent late, I'd recognize that it was personalized for "Mr. Turnbull", but not that it was a dig or reprimand.

Then again, I just can't draw worth a damn, so I'm easily impressed by someone who can.  Looking at it again just now, I see how Golden designed the picture to give Gerry the least enjoyment possible, with the character's back to the camera, face obscured by shadow, and most of the costume (uniform?) such as the gloves, the Eye, and the rest hidden as well.  Which is kind of cool, in that you can still tell who it is, but yeah, probably not what someone who commissions a piece like that is looking for.  I rescind my comment, it would be a cool sketch idea but not suitable for a commission.  Until I looked again just now I didn't appreciate how much effort Golden went to to make the commission disappointing, that really says something about his intentions!  I'd almost think it'd have been "easier" to draw a more suitable pose and give the guy his money's worth.
Back to Top profile | search

Glen O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2007 at 12:10pm | IP Logged | 2  

Unbelievable behavior by Mr. Golden.

But JB is amazing, as always. That was incredibly nice of you Chief!

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2007 at 1:18pm | IP Logged | 3  

But if I saw that picture on a wall, without knowing the story about how it was sent late, I'd recognize that it was personalized for "Mr. Turnbull", but not that it was a dig or reprimand.
That's part of what makes this so stunning.  It's apparently intended as a private joke between the scam artist and his victim.  Like one of those a-holes who hits your parked car and pretends to write his contact info on a note to stick under your wiper-- only when you look at the note you find out that all it says is "screw you!"

Jesus Garcia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2007 at 1:49pm | IP Logged | 4  

Adding insult to injury. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

At the very least Golden should redo the commisison and spell it right.

Classy gesture on JB's part too. The "Lying in the Gutters" column will probably pick it up.

Lars Skau
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2007 at 2:50pm | IP Logged | 5  

David Barker said:

Reading through the Modern Masters book Golden came off as disinterested in Comic work. He only does it in between Commercial art gigs as far as I can tell. It seems like he disdains the industry and super-heroes in particular.

And still he does a great job - but I must say I lost a lot of respect for Golden reading about this commision. I am lost for words.

But now I respect JB even more, for that nice gesture!!

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ed Fahey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2007 at 2:54pm | IP Logged | 6  

Gerry: I'd post that art on Ebay - with the story behind it - which will alert many people as to his attitude toward his "fans".

JB - very nice gesture!

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2007 at 5:02pm | IP Logged | 7  

I read Gerry's post over at the Comics Journal board, and I can't believe some of the responses over there, including one moron who thinks Michael Golden could sue Gerry for libel! lmao

Registered over there so I could respond to that person and someone else who thinks the art is satisfactory, but they must be slow as sin at sending the account activation e-mails.....

David Barker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2007 at 5:19pm | IP Logged | 8  

Lars Skau said:

And still he does a great job - but I must say I lost a lot of respect for Golden reading about this commision. I am lost for words.

But now I respect JB even more, for that nice gesture!!

------------------------------------------------------------ -------------------------------

I agree with that part Lars I was mostly commenting on the fact that the Modern Masters volume was painful to read because of Golden's seeming disinterest. I read it before this situation with Gerry as well.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2007 at 5:25pm | IP Logged | 9  

Sue gerry for libel! Ha ha ha hahaha!

gerry blew 500 plus bucks of hard-earned (one assumes) cash in an honest transaction with an artist he obviously thinks very highly of to even consider that kind of money for a mere sketch, the artist produces a piece of work to ridicule the man, and by name no less! and gerry's at fault?

Somebody contact Jim "Killmaster" Starlin to draw a graphic novel about the death of an artist's career.

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2007 at 5:28pm | IP Logged | 10  

It's not worth it Brian, TJC posters wouldn't even deserve a warning from a deadly herpes outbreak.

I got a neat drawing of Death by Brian Stelfreeze for free, it took him no time to do and it looks just as good as his comics.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2007 at 5:32pm | IP Logged | 11  

Chad wrote:
...Sue gerry for libel! Ha ha ha hahaha! ...

Michael Golden would be an idiot to even attempt such a thing. Not only would he lose, as everything Gerry said is factual, but it would make the story of what Golden did even more public.

And, again, I think it is Gerry that should sue Golden.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 28 July 2007 at 5:32pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2007 at 5:42pm | IP Logged | 12  

If Gerry were in the U.S., I'd agree with you Matt, but it wouldn't be worth his time, let alone money, to travel from Scotland to the U.S. to sue him.

However, if one of those idiots over at TJC is actually willing to put their money where their mouth is, I'd consider selling that piece of garbage to one of them if I were Gerry and couldn't get my money, or the art I actually asked for, from Golden.

Yesterday I made a post about what happened at a board I've been a regular at for years so others would be warned about dealing with Golden:

http://freedomreborn.net/simple/index.php?topic=43729.0

Edited by Brian Floyd on 28 July 2007 at 5:45pm

<< Prev Page of 40 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version