Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 40 Next >>
Topic: OT, a cautionary tale for art collectors (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2007 at 6:29am | IP Logged | 1  

That's a very classy thing to do JB.
Back to Top profile | search

Martin Arlt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2007 at 7:35am | IP Logged | 2  

This came up in a thread in the Spring, but with no names.  At the time, I didn't want to name the artist, because I figured I'm one guy with a bad experience, but that doesn't mean it happens to everyone.  I didn't want to start doing the "Bad Golden Story." 

In the Fall, I went to a con with the opportunity to meet Michael Golden.  I was excited, as the Micronauts, featuring his art, was the title that got me completely hooked on comics.  He was very nice, and signed my hardbound Micronauts books and a couple of pages of Micronauts original art for me.  I was relieved, as I always worry when meeting someone who's work I admired, especially as a child, because I'm afraid they'll turn out to be an ass.  And he wasn't. 

I commissioned two drawings (of Micronaut characters, of course) at $100 a pop.  He told me he was pretty much booked to the con, but added my name and said to try back later (he took no money yet).  When I returned to his table later in the con, he hadn't gotten to them.  He apologized and everything was fine, if disappointing because I really wanted those sketches.  Renee suggested that, if I was willing to wait, he could work on the drawings at home and send them to me.  So all the arrangements were made.

After a couple of months, I started sending Renee some polite emails, just to "touch base."  I guess at one point, his home/studio had flooded, causing him to delay some drawing.  Fine, no problem.  But from then on, after every email I sent I was told the art was on his drawing board or done, and that I would see it soon.  After six months, I made arrangements to just pick it up at another convention. Which I did.

None of this bothered me *too* much.  I'm pretty patient, and I was never ignored, as my emails were always answered quickly.  But I confess that I was a little disappointed with what the $200 and 6-7 months wait got me.  But to be fair, most of my disappointment stemmed from an unrealistic expectation.  In my head, I was seeing these characters as he had drawn them 30 years ago, and his art style has obviously changed.  Even in my disappointment, I knew that I shouldn't have expected what I was expecting.

Well, everything was done.  I finally had my drawings.  And I had managed to remain fairly positive about the whole thing.  But now, seeing what's going on in this thread, I find myself very disappointed that I gave income to someone who seems to hold his fans in such low regard. 

I think it's time to save up so I can ask Jim Warden about a JB Micronauts commission.  I *know* that one would be cool!

Martin Arlt......................................

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2007 at 7:48am | IP Logged | 3  

I think from now on we should all begin referring to Michael Golden as Mike Pyrite.  And if this catches on, I want credit! 

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2007 at 8:25am | IP Logged | 4  

JB said: The only answer I could come up with was to make the piece about 20% wider than usual.

Out of curiosity, what would the dimensions be if the piece will be 20% wider than usual?

On a side note, larger commission sizes made me imagine JB on scaffolds doing art for a ceiling ala Michelangelo. Can you imagine growing up as a kid with some huge Byrne montage on your ceiling above the bed? Can anyone say insomnia?

Gil Dowling
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2007 at 8:52am | IP Logged | 5  

Gerry - I just read your post on the Comicart-list and rushed over here. I totally feel for you. Nothing like a disappointing commission, but to have to be insulted like this...

JB - Terrific gesture on your part. Bravo.

Dave Pruitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2007 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 6  

I guess I'm lucky I got my Golden Micronauts sketch done at a con where he finished it before the end of the day. $100 for a pencil of Acroyear. More than I ever paid for a sketch, but I thought it was okay.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2007 at 9:36am | IP Logged | 7  

I just thought i would let you know of a good experience i had...A few years ago our local pound shop(Everything £1) had a collection of X-Men plush toys,based i think on the early 90`s cartoon.I had them all except Wolverine,tried a few cons/marts etc but no luck.I finally wrote to the address on the label,which if memory serves me correctly was Sweden.I just enquired if they knew of a supplier in the U.K. where i could buy one.I enclosed a return stamped envelope.Some time later i had a phone call from a nice lady in Sweden asking me what Wolverine looked like,and if they had him as i described she would send me one free of charge.The fact that she had taken the trouble to find my phone number and would then send me one free really made my day,i never found out her name,but i sent her a thank you card,addressed to the nice lady.Gerry also did something similar for me recently so i am pleased that J.B. could be of help.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 28 July 2007 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 8  

JB, that is very generous of you to help Gerry out like that.

Corey Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2007 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 9  

Honestly JB's gesture really doesn't surprise me. He obviously cares about the experience comic book fans have with creators and artwork. That's why you can be assured of never getting some sort of half-assed (let along mocking!) commission from him. All you have to do is take a look at the commission gallery to see that each and every one of these folks easily got their money's worth.

Gerry, I just wanted to let you know I was pretty appalled by this story--especially because I am (was?) a huge Michael Golden fan and started collecting comics mainly because of his work on The Micronauts. In fact, I was so bugged by this I sent an e-mail to Renee expressing my displeasure with the situation and my hope that Golden would realize the error of his ways and make things right.

I would love to see some sort of apology and compensatory commission to restore my respect for the guy.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2007 at 10:04am | IP Logged | 10  

Doesn't the Bible warn us of association with a Golden Ass?

JB, your gesture is not only classy, but a lesson in how things in business are done, or should be, at any rate... Well done.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mike Murray
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2007 at 10:56am | IP Logged | 11  

Wow, I don't know anything about the commission business, other than what I read here, but this seems like incredibly self-destructive behavior on Golden's part.  There can't be too many guys in the world who have the disposable income and love for comic-book art to be ordering $500 commissions, and the odds seem pretty good that they'd have some sort of mailing list or club to communicate about their shared passion even before the internet came into play.  Now, of course the internet means that this story and the image Gerry Turnbull was sent are being seem by editors and Golden's fellow pros as well... even if Golden has a thousand satisfied commission customers out there, who will want to take the chance that they ruffle his feathers or catch him on a bad day now?!

If it weren't for the misspelling, it wouldn't be so bad (unless there were some particular guidelines that Gerry had given him that were not adhered to).  Oh, and looking at that customs form make me think that if the woman who signed it never looked at the contents of the package, she was lying to customs officials, so there's that too... I'm glad JB is stepping in to help ease the sting of this slap in the face, that's very classy of him.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2007 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 12  

Mike wrote:
...If it weren't for the misspelling, it wouldn't be so bad (unless there were some particular guidelines that Gerry had given him that were not adhered to)...

Does the commissioner really need to state implicitly that the artist not incorporate a dig or a reprimand aimed at the commissioner in the piece that is being purchased?

Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 40 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version