Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: Q for JB: Dealing with fans (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2006 at 8:54am | IP Logged | 1  

Never had "bad -insert author- stories".
And I'm not talking only about meeting, but even during discussion on forums/emails.
Before I came in this forum, I had to get an interview with JB for a comics journal and, later, for my book. I was a bit "afraid"... "Hey, that's John Byrne, the important comic book author, how could he have some time for me?". Well, he answered in a couple of hours to all my questions. Very kind, polite, fast.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joakim Jahlmar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2006 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 2  

JB wrote:
"The other day, someone posted here that I should be 'grateful' that there are 'thousands' who want to come here and interact with me. Not to put too fine a point on it, this is exactly the opposite of the reality -- it is the fans who should be grateful that forums such as this (for any professional, in any field) exist."

Methinks that poster has a problem distinguishing between being grateful for having a huge number of fans of one's work and having a thousand fans demanding one's attention. While I've more than once disagreed with you on various topics, JB, I'd like to state that I for one am grateful that you are taking the time to be part of the dialogue in here at all. As you say... it's not in your job description and you sure as hell don't get paid for it (especially since it's not a pay-site, for which I am also grateful).

Bruce Buchanan wrote:
"However, I do believe that it works both ways. Yes, fans should be grateful for chances to interact with comic book creators. But comic book creators should also feel grateful for the chance to interact with the fans who pay their salaries. Without the readers, there are no comic book professionals."

Um, actually I'd have to take some opposition to that, Bruce. While I enjoy a chance to meet an author or artist I enjoy as much as the next guy, there's nothing to say that I need to appreciate them as people to appreciate their work. Heck they could be immensely shy and therefore spending their time drawing or writing, never wishing to speak to people more than absolutely necessary.
Heck, if you hire a plumber you don't get annoyed because he don't wanna have a cup of coffe and talk to you about the weather for a while. Artists should appreciate that they have fans making their creative work possible in many ways, but they don't owe them any chat time or otherwise. That's just bonus to the fans.

Emery Calame – thanks for that little fan to god story. Silver-lining of the day. :)

John Webb wrote:
"Do you use the plumber to fix your sink who is obnoxious or the one who always asks after your mother? Social behaviour works to the advantage of all parties in my experience"

Funny, I picked plumber as example before I read your post, John. ;)
Anyhow, I do think there is a great leap between being obnoxious and asking after one's mother. Inbetween that you have the guy who does the job excellently without bothering you either way, and might very well be your guy. And the guy asking after one's mother might be the guy overcharging you and doing a substandard job, so...
Talk is cheap, it's in the plumbing you measure the plumber.

Bruce Buchanan also wrote:
"Likewise, the artist has no entitlement to expect fans to support his or her work, particularly if they treat the paying customer in a shabby manner."

Now that I do agree with. Civility and good manners is a good starting ground for anything, if it's just visiting your local store. And that bit does go both ways... unfortunately as JB points out the world is full of people who in fact lacks such civility and good manners, and to whom the world is seemingly swirling around them. My girlfriend works in a bookstore and some of the stories she shares about the behaviour of certain customers are just horrifying.

More Bruce:
"I agree that simple application of the Golden Rule - from all parties - would solve 99% of these problems. Heck, it probably would solve 99% of society's problems."

With the slight caveat that everybody might not want to be treated the way you want. To each his own, but general politeness and common courtesy goes along way to open up any meeting of any kind.

Vinny Valenti wrote:
"I have a coworker that thanks the cleaning ladies every time they come by and empty our trash bins at night. I have to admit I hadn't thought of doing that before."

As someone who's worked as a cleaner for a while, it's always nice when people do treat one as a fellow human being. Although I preferred jobs where I would clean when the offices were empty (handier if nothing else), when that's not possible it's always nice when people don't treat you as non-existent or as a disturbance.

Dave Powell wrote:
"What happened seemed rude to me, but I know that I am applying my standards to someone else. I tend to thank cashiers, and smile at them on my way through a line at stores. I know this is because of my midwestern US upbringing."

O I don't think anyone in here would argue against that being a rude treatment, Dave. And I think that some degrees of decency is to be included in any definition of the term itself. I'm born, raised and living in Sweden, and for the record I try to be polite and friendly with cashiers as well (unless they treat me really badly, but then I have a legitimate complaint on the other hand...)

Robert Last wrote:
"This is honestly not an attack on anyone (I thought I'd better add that given the heated nature of some threads today!) but why get more than one copy of an autograph at a con or whatever? I can kinda understand getting another book signed at another con, so you have something as a memory from each, but multiples? Anyone wanna clue me in?"

Well, having brought more than one book with me on at least one occasion (meeting Neil Gaiman), I can at least say how at least I was thinking. Given that I REALLY have enjoyed his work for years but hadn't had any chance to meet him what with me being in Sweden, I did want to get the most out of it. That said, I did carefully limit my selection to three books, tried to pick some that aren't the ones he's most likely to sign often, and asked if it was ok when I was there. If it'd have been any problem time-wise or queue-wise I'd have never taken all three up in the end... Civility and situation can go a long way...

I am very much with you on the memory factor on an important level though. I've never understood people paying a lot of money for a signed copy of this or that... the signature should be a little personal in my book, that's what makes it fun.

Roger A Ott II wrote:
"I'll never buy a signed comic. To me, part of the draw for having the signature is to be able to take my comic personally and have it signed, to be able to say to the person, 'This book is my personal favorite, and having you sign it makes it invaluable to me.'"

I'll buy any signed item if it doesn't cost me anything extra as compared to an unsigned copy (case in point: I got a signed copy of David Bowie's Heathen at a local store for the same price as an unsigned, he'd signed some extra copies when he was in the store (and I'd not had the chance to go) and then it was a nice little addition), but generally, I am of your opinion Roger. The main point is being there.

And since people have shared some nice and unnice stories, I'd like to share a nice one (more fun). My first author meeting ever was a the Gothenburg Book Fair in the very early 90s (me being in my later teens in other words). The author in question was Robert Ludlum who of course was a bestselling author in multiple languages and to top it off an author I greatly admired. Now, the first thing I noticed while standing in line was that Mr Ludlum was very open to interacting with his audience although he was a bit too polite to impose himself in English on his Swedish speaking audience... he did for instance grasp that the lady before me was buying her copy as a X-Mas present which asked her for confirmation about and the happily wrote Merry Christmas in the book. When I came up, I stood there (having given my name to the lady responsible for getting him the names) and felt quite nervous. After all, here was a person whom I admired and whom I would most likely never meet again, so I worked up my courage and said in admittedly broken English, "You writes great, Sir." Now, Mr Ludlum as already stated was a world renowned bestselling author and was a young Swedish fan with no claim to greatness, so for all I knew I could have been given an "I know" and that could have been it. What DID happen was this: Mr Ludlum spent a short instance seemingly very seriously taking in my youthful praise and then replying, "Thank you very much, young man." It is perhaps needless to say that I went off on small clouds and kept repeating the wonderful little story to my friend who'd been standing beside me for the rest of the day.

O and before ending this (I know) very looooong post... I just have to throw in a huge thank you to Bill Willingham, seeing that he is now among us. I truly love the Fables collections so far. Keep them coming and I'll keep buying 'em.
O... and just because it needs to be asked (given where we're at) is there any chance of seeing a JB illustrated Fables story at any time in the future?

P.S.  Ari what's that new avatar of yours?

Back to Top profile | search | www

Chris Hutton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2006 at 11:31am | IP Logged | 3  

Wallace, I was mistaken (that NEVER happens!! ;) )
It was The Path #5.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 December 2006 at 11:43am | IP Logged | 4  

I don't remember any comicbook professionals charging for their autographs before the Image boys came along. In their case, it seemed like squeezing as much out of the fans as they possibly could, even tho they were already making millions just doing the books (when they actually did them).

The closest I have come to charging for autographs was back in the days when MidOhioCon was still a fund raiser for the March of Dimes. I would have a big MoD jar on my table, and asked 10¢ per autograph. Most people gladly paid more, so it was a good way to raise money for a good cause. (There were bumps on that little highway, too, of course -- mostly in the form of people who would drop a couple of dimes into the jar and then demand a receipt. That was when I would explain to them that they were not the ones making the donation -- I was!)

Back to Top profile | search

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2006 at 1:08pm | IP Logged | 5  

I met (when we lived in LA) Tom Selleck and Richard Dean Anderson. Both really nice guys especially RDA. This could be because I was only 12 at the time, but it was great to meet MacGyver in person.

Edited by Greg McPhee on 29 December 2006 at 1:11pm

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2006 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 6  

Scott wrote: I don't think anyone has a story about a bad encounter with Jim, because I doubt there's ever been one.

But with your cat however... Having "almost" written on a Garfield monthly book that never took place, I have to say this, if we show Davis original strips, we call him Gustaf, we have always done that. That's fine. But if we should draw him ourselves we had to rename him Garfield!!!. Why? 90% or so of the readers will leave because they have no idea who "Garfield" is. The directions by Mr. Davis I have seen are like blueprints and what the artist should do is xerox them, if you ask me. It seems like Mr. Davis doesn't want a Swedish comic book, having a life on its own (my interpretation). I mean following those orders were impossible to a creative artist, the artists dropped one by one, they don't work that way.

Edited by Lars Johansson on 29 December 2006 at 1:17pm

Rey Madrinan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2006 at 1:53pm | IP Logged | 7  

I think this has been said, but if you buy a book, all you are buying is a story written and/or drawn by someone. Convention behavior, whatever, isn't obligatory.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 December 2006 at 2:02pm | IP Logged | 8  

When my stepdaughter was a wee girl, I used to get mad at her from time to time, for the way her expectations would automatically expand to include anything my Ex and I extended to her, so that there never seemed to be any real appreciation of what was being extended. An illustrative conversation might go something like this:

She: Why do I have to go to bed at nine? Why can't I stay up till nine-thirty?

Me: Okay -- you can stay up till nine-thirty.

She: Why not ten?

With many fans, whatever is offered is automaticaly considered part of the "package". The fact that plonking down X amount of dollars for a comic book is the totality of the transaction is not considered. What the fan has bought is that comic, which hopefully contains the best work the creative team was capable of producing. Nothing else is included in the deal. No autographs, no conversations, no portfolio reviews --- heck, there are some fans who fail to realize that even attending a convention at all is "above and beyond" for the talent.

Geoff Gibson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2006 at 2:45pm | IP Logged | 9  

"No autographs, no conversations, no portfolio reviews --- heck, there are some fans who fail to realize that even attending a convention at all is "above and beyond" for the talent."

JB:

Does this pertain to all comic book writers and artists?  Please correct me if I am mistaken, but don't some attend conventions because they get paid (whether by the convention promoter or through signings, etc).  So if, for example, talent charges for an autograph at the convention does that change the dynamic?  Should the fan expect conversation?  Certainly the fan should be polite and courteous (as one should always be when meeting a stranger) and appreciative for the pro attending but does payment for the autograph create a reasonable expectation of conversation with the pro?

On a related topic, I have seen some "rose growing" artists attend many conventions while a book they work on remains months behind its publishing schedule -- if they can't get a book out on time should they be attending a con?  Shouldn't they be finishing the comic?  To put it in a different context I'll apply the same facts to my profession: if a lawyer failed to finish a brief that was due in Court the next day because there was a bar function he wanted to attend he would be screwed. He would face admonishment from the Court, the client and his employer -- to the point of being fired or sued for malpractice.  His professional duty is to finish the work when it is due.   

Rey Madrinan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2006 at 3:32pm | IP Logged | 10  

JB summed up what I wanted to say pretty well.

What astounds me is how such an obvious statement alloudes so many people.

Brian Tait
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2006 at 5:18pm | IP Logged | 11  

Having never been to a comic convention, I am amazed at the audacity of people to actually bring large numbers of books for the talent to sign.
One or two books should be more than enough.
I don't think I would have the patience to deal with signing any more than that.
Just seems greedy to me. There's usually a long line waiting. Keep it moving.

Jim Lynch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2006 at 7:19pm | IP Logged | 12  

Imight have told this story before, but some years ago JB was at a con here in KC. I arrived at a point where there was only one other guy in line, asking for a signature on I believe Torch of Liberty (?) and JB made a comment to the effect "so you're the other guy that bought one." I thought that was perfectly self-deprecating. Then I stumbled up, looking my idol in the eye, and couldn't find anything to say. So, JB, who was at the time beginning work on Wonder Woman, took the time to show me the copies of his art for that series, including his rendition of Doomsday, discussed his FF run, thanked me for my complimenting the "Trial of Reed Richards" storyline, which was my favorite of his run, and even briefly discussed his idea for a sequel to the "Metropolis: 900 Miles" story.

What an asshole. I wish all pros were similarly rude.

And I can't even begin to talk about George Perez. On the con floor, at his table, whatever, a true gentleman. Has anyone else produced an old comic for Mr Perez to sign and have him, from memory, tell what the title of the issue is? I had a stack of ancient FFs to sign and he got every one right.

At a Wizardworld once, Rob Liefeld cut in front of me in a line for Jerry Ordway (who is another gracious guy). After asking Liefeld a couple of questions about whether he would ever finish a single book he ever started, I asked him to kindly move out of my way. he was plenty pissed.

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version