Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: Q for JB: Dealing with fans (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2006 at 10:11pm | IP Logged | 1  

That's a shame Brian.  Dragon*Con is a great place to go for autographs.  Every one of the pros I've met there has been very easy to talk to.  One of the advantages of D*C is that since so many genre's are represented, lines aren't always long, especially around the comic book area.

One thing I refuse to do, however, is to pay for an autograph.  I'm there showing my respect and admiration to them, and don't feel I need to slip them a 10 or a 20 to get something signed.

Back to Top profile | search

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2006 at 10:27pm | IP Logged | 2  

Jeff Gilmer: One thing I refuse to do, however, is to pay for an autograph.

Same here.  The only exception I've made is when George Perez had a charity donation can at his table.  I gladly dropped a few bucks while thanking him for making some of my favorite comics.

When Jeri Ryan was at the Motor City ComiCon a few years back, the ticket to get into the show itself was $18, and then a ticket to get in line to see her was $25.  Even if I was a Trek fan, I wouldn't have paid that.  They even had her in a completely "shrouded" booth because apparently even glimpses aren't free.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2006 at 10:43pm | IP Logged | 3  

One thing I refuse to do, however, is to pay for an autograph.  I'm there showing my respect and admiration to them, and don't feel I need to slip them a 10 or a 20 to get something signed.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I agree with that, to a point. Its one reason why I'll never have the autographs of William Shatner (he charges about 300 or 400 dollars!) or some professional athletes. (Incidentally, Pete Rose is to blame for a lot of baseball players charging for their autographs)

I can understand why former celebrities who haven't worked in decades and athletes who played back when they were paid what is considered chicken feed compared to today's actors and athletes make charge, because that is mainly how a lot of them make money to live on. However,  I wouldn't pay a dime for the autograph of a current or recently retired athlete unless the money was going to charity, because in those cases the fans ARE (or were) paying their salaries and they should'nt be charging $10.00 a pop for an autograph with the money going in their own pockets when they're being paid millions of dollars a year to play a game.

That George Perez piece I got off eBay is a print of a headshot of Power Girl and I bought it because I thought it was priced decently, but if I ever manage to meet Mr. Perez in person and get his autograph, that print is going to go to a friend of mine as a present. (Why Power Girl? Because the prints of characters he is well known for were going for $10.00 more and I am having financial problems at the moment)

I have noticed that some professional comic artists do have their own shops set up on eBay and I do have to admit I have been tempted to buy autographed items at times, but I'm talking sketches, prints and original artwork, not signed comics.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 28 December 2006 at 11:21pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2006 at 11:10pm | IP Logged | 4  

I'll never buy a signed comic.  To me, part of the draw for having the signature is to be able to take my comic personally and have it signed, to be able to say to the person, "This book is my personal favorite, and having you sign it makes it invaluable to me."

I wouldn't have a problem buying signed artwork, however.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2006 at 11:14pm | IP Logged | 5  

My celebrity encounters include Debbie Reynolds, Harve Presnell, Teri Copley, Robin Curtis, Roger C. Carmel, Patrick Stewart, Angelique Pettyjohn, Stephen Wright, and DeForest Kelley.  In the world of comics, I've met Ralph Macchio, Mark Pacella, Matt Feazell, Joshua Quagmire, and Sam Kieth.  All of these encounters were unfailingly positive and brief, as they should be when one is imposing on the time of someone dealing with a number of responsibilites and people.

My short conversations with Chris Claremont were odd, but still not unpleasant...

Chris Hutton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2006 at 12:00am | IP Logged | 6  

Brian, how was DeForest Kelley? I've heard his friends describe him as sweet. I wonder how he was with fans.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2006 at 12:58am | IP Logged | 7  

QUOTE:
with regards to the Lithgow "incident," who's to say he didn't have a sick family member, fight with his wife, or relative/friend just died?

I think the only thing you can do when dealing with people is judge them by your own standard of conduct. I know during my worst days I always do my best to be polite to others. I do not think common courtesy is too much to ask of anybody, whether they are famous or not.

As a lad I met Junkyard Dog and he was a cool dude. But in Alabama you seldom get the chance to meet famous people.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2006 at 2:52am | IP Logged | 8  

The case i mentioned earlier about the 60`s actress who has done nothing much since, was a sign for cash thing,the fact she was giving the impression she would rather do her nails than pass the time of day with a `customer` annoyed me and my friend,especially him as he had been a fan since childhood.

Gabriel Garcia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2006 at 4:16am | IP Logged | 9  

I met Deforest Kelley at a convention at the Roosevelt Hotel in NYC and he was a gentleman to everyone that stood in line to get his autograph or to take pictures with. I had the same experience with George Takei, he was very happy to chat with fans and insisted in personalizing all autographs evn one that I requested for my sister, who was not at that particular con.

Jo Harvatt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2006 at 5:41am | IP Logged | 10  

I think there is a distinction to be made between actors/'celebrities' and other forms of creative people . For those in the performing arts putting themselves out into public and/or courting media attention is intrinsic to the job and they should do it with as much good grace as they can muster.

For an artist or writer, what they are like as a person is irrelevant to their work and they should not be made to parade themselves for the benefit of their fans.

Some may enjoy it, some may have the patience of Job and be able to endure it but others don't and should be entitled to their privacy.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2006 at 7:12am | IP Logged | 11  

"I had Walter Simonson sign 3 or 4 copies of the same book (!), Way of the Rat, just because I enjoyed the artwork that much."

Chris, which issue(s) of WAY OF THE RAT did Walter Simonson draw?  I thought I had every issue of the series, but I don't recall seeing any artwork by him in it.  Let me know what I'm missing.

Sean Hollenhors
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2006 at 7:46am | IP Logged | 12  

"Uh, Sean... aren't you interacting with a comic creator right now? Welcome
to our fetish!"

HAW! I see your point.

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version