Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Referring to superheroes by their "civilian" identities... (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 December 2006 at 12:43pm | IP Logged | 1  

I've noticed that many fans will refer to superheroes by their "civilian" names (i.e. "When Clark fought Zod" or "When Peter battled Doc Ock") even though they aren't referring to them while in their civilian identities: For example, "Clark Kent ducks into the supply room at the Planet and changes into Superman."

This strikes me as a distinct change from the way things were when I first started reading comics. As a kid, I always felt that Batman and Superman were *always* Batman and Superman -- even when not in costume. I did usually think, "Superman disguised as Clark Kent." Oddly enough, my father would do the same thing -- something I've noticed most "civilians" do. For instance, when my non-comics reading coworker described the recent FF movie, she would say, "Mr. Fantastic did this, the Thing did that, and the Invisible Woman did this." Conversely, comics fans would tend to say, "Reed did this, Ben did that, and Sue did this." Even if the casual fan didn't know their code names, he or she would more often than not refer to the character by his powers -- "Stretchy Guy" or "Rock Guy" for instance.

I'm not sure what this means, but as I said, it's something I've noticed. Do these fans feel somehow "closer" to the characters, which is why they refer to them by their "real" names? Or do the non-fans actually buy into the mythic nature of the characters more?

Back to Top profile | search | www

Gregory Dickens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 December 2006 at 12:53pm | IP Logged | 2  

I can't remember the last times I called any of the FF by their hero names. "Ben Grimm" and "Johnny Storm" just so perfectly describe those characters. But the FF are an anomaly for hero comics because they don't act any differently our of costume. Reed is ever Reed, and Sue is always Sue.

But I never call Batman or Superman by their alter ego names when the conversation concerns their adventures.

I am affected by how often a character is called by their hero names in the comics. Jean Grey remains "Jean Grey" to me because I saw her referred by her real name more than "Marvel Girl" or "Phoenix."
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 December 2006 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 3  

I am more likely to refer to the FF by their real names than their code names (whether they're in uniform or not).  The same goes for the Next Men.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 December 2006 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 4  

Depends on the character. When talking about the FF Reed, Sue, Johnny and Ben work just as well as Mr.Fantastic, Invisible Girl Human Torch and the Thing. This is because they dont have secret IDs and even when costume they are Reed, Sue, Johnny and Ben. Characters like Batman, Superman and Spider-Man who's costumed identities are separate from their civilian ones are different. Spider-man fought Doc Ock. Peter Parker visited Aunt May.  The distiction should be made and maintained. (all IMO)

Yeah, I think using the "real names" maked them seem more real to some people.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Reeves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 December 2006 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 5  

Joey da Q once said in an interview that most Marvel characters are the civilian identity first and foremost, with an alter ego.  He also said that he believes this differs from most DC characters in which the civilian identity is either secondary to the hero identity (like Batman) or is simply there just because it's necessary to have one.  I tend to agree with this for the most part.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 December 2006 at 1:08pm | IP Logged | 6  

Nine times out of 10 I will call Superman "Superman" and Clark "Clark". When Frank Miller and I were chatting about some of the ideas he had for the first DARK KNIGHT mini, one of the things I noticed was that he always refered to Batman as "Bruce" and Superman as "Clark".

It has to do, I think, with the lessening of the awe factor that used to be so much a part of comicbook mythology. As more and more fans have turned pro, we have seen the introduction of such nicknames as "Supes" and "Bats", which can only be described as irreverent, at best, and in parallel we have seen the arrival of "Clark" and "Bruce" and "Peter" instead of the superhero names. The latter is, at least, still mostly respectful. I dread the day when the next "generation" transforms these into "Clarkie" and "Brucie" and "Petey".

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 December 2006 at 1:10pm | IP Logged | 7  

Joey da Q once said in an interview that most Marvel characters are the civilian identity first and foremost, with an alter ego.

Okay, how many here would say that is an accurate description of Spider-Man, the Hulk, Thor, the X-Men, Iron Man, or Captain America? To name but a few.

Eric Lund
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 December 2006 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 8  

The characters will always be referred to by their superhero name to me... I hate the use of their civilian names by "fans" Those names are not on the title of the book... Those names are not how those characters are identified...

The only time it made any sense was in the FF where the characters would refer to each other by their real name but even as a kid I still only and always think of them by their superhero names... Superman and Batman are Superman and Batman.... "Clark" and "Bruce" I feel can be used by them talking to one another but even when they are all together in the JLA I think the characters out of respect for one another should refer to each with code names... not Diana or Clark.... It makes them small... and hearing "fans" use those terms makes the characters even smaller....

Until the titles of the books change the characters should be referred to by that name and not cutesy in-the-know name for "fans" who want to feel smug

Greg Reeves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 December 2006 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 9  

Captain America is a good example of this not being the case, JB- Steve Rogers practically doesn't exist when you think about Captain America.  Good call on that one.  I would definitely say, however, that Peter Parker is the stronger persona over Spider-Man.  He is who he is due to his humanity rather than his powers.  I'd also say that Bruce Banner (though not as much as Peter) is the stronger persona.  Much like Stan Lee described the Hulk as a modern Jekyll/Hyde, so too does Banner's personality stick out as someone always afraid to unleash the monster within. Iron Man: hard to define this one.  I think the armored persona is less than the playboy/recovered alcoholic personality, but it's close.  The X-Men, to me, are less distinct as alter egos and more by their limitations, such as Cyclops' inability to control his blasts, Rogue's inability to touch anyone, etc.

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 December 2006 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 10  

There was a discussion about this in a thread a month or so ago, and I said then that I've always called them by their superhero names, and only by their civilian names when referencing said civilian name.  The exception, of which I became aware of during that discussion, was JB's own Next Men, who I've always referred to by their real names and not the code names that Danny gave them.  Perhaps that's because the characters themselves hardly (if ever) used the code names.

Kurt Anderson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 December 2006 at 1:29pm | IP Logged | 11  

It seems that, back in the day, most of the superheroes were still "on duty" while in their civilian identities.  Clark's thought balloons didn't have much to do with his life as Clark... he was thinking about Superman's current case, or Superman's relationship with Lois.

Now we seem to spend a great deal more time watching the heroes go about their daily business.  A back-up series like the Private Life of Clark Kent that was around in the early 70's wouldn't be very useful today.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 December 2006 at 1:30pm | IP Logged | 12  

...most Marvel characters are the civilian identity first and foremost, with an alter ego.

++++

an accurate descriptions of Spider-Man...?

It's not true of Spider-Man.

But tangentially I get the sense, and I'm referring most especially to the Lee/Ditko stories, that the character felt such an acute sense of alienation at times that not only when he was Peter Parker was he masquerading as Spider-Man, but similarly when he was Spider-Man he was masquerading as Peter Parker. I mean, especially in those early stories, just as Peter Parker was Spider-Man's secret identity, Spider-Man was also Peter Parker's secret identity. Being Spider-Men kept Peter apart from his fellow civilians. Yet, Spider-Man also never fit in with other superheroes, and it seems that the not-subsumed identity of Peter behind the mask played a part in that.

By contrast, Don Blake always seemed to me quite separate from Thor, and vice-versa. Blake was Blake, and Thor was Thor.

Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version