Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 65 Next >>
Topic: OT: We’ve got to get rid of the guns (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2006 at 4:22pm | IP Logged | 1  

Amen to that!

Three weeks ago, here in Montreal, another nutcase attacked Dawson College with an automatic weapon.  One 18 yr old girl was killed and a number were wounded.  This is the third such incident in this city in the last 17 years.

Back to Top profile | search

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2006 at 4:31pm | IP Logged | 2  

If it wasn't guns, it'd be something else for these people!

Don't blame the inanimate objects, blame the system for a) not identifying these people and b) Security measures relating to the movement of said weapons.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Stephen Bergstrom
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2006 at 4:41pm | IP Logged | 3  

"What are the guns for? So that citizens can rise up against a government they don't want? I think the Civil War settled that issue some time ago : it's illegal."

What about the Revolutionary War? People rose up against the established government then, too. The only difference was they won that one. It's only illegal if you're on the losing side.

People have been killing people for as long as we can remember. Take away the guns, they'll use knives, take away the knives, they'll use rocks. At that point, it gets very difficult to take away the rocks.

I'd rather live in a world where everyone can get guns as opposed to one where only a select privileged few can.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2006 at 4:49pm | IP Logged | 4  

" If it wasn't guns, it'd be something else for these people!"

There's a certain degree of truth to that. For example in Britain they are having a problem with knives. The difference is that guns allow a person to do far more damage. With a sharp instrument a nutjob can cause maybe one or two victims. With a gun in a place like a school they can become killing-machines.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2006 at 4:51pm | IP Logged | 5  

"I'd rather live in a world where everyone can get guns as opposed to one where only a select privileged few can."

The victims of gun violence would rather not. Of course, you may not have a place for them in your idea of what our society should be.

Darren De Vouge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2006 at 4:52pm | IP Logged | 6  

Let them use knives then.  It would slow down the killing at least.

Steve Horton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2006 at 4:53pm | IP Logged | 7  

Yeah, I doubt that the crazy school shootings in Colorado and Canada could have been pulled off with a Bowie knife or even a machete.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Keith Elder
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2006 at 4:57pm | IP Logged | 8  

Gun ownership is a consitutional right.  Until that right is amended, this isn't an issue.  You can no more suggest banning guns than you can suggest forcibly requiring prayer, unreasonable searches, or barring free speech.*

Trying to do an end run around the constition in order to outlaw guns, even if that's an admirable goal, makes us all less secure.

*All of which have often been suggested, so that list is somewhat tongue in cheek.

Eric Kleefeld
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2006 at 4:58pm | IP Logged | 9  

I'm against banning guns.  What I'm for is setting up and enforcing rules that would prevent or penalize total whackjobs from getting them.

Joe Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2006 at 5:00pm | IP Logged | 10  

True. I think gun control should fit the specific needs of the community. A rancher living in a remote region who cannot count on the protection of law enforcement certainly should have access to certain types of guns. A civilian living in Los Angeles has no business owning an AK-47.

So does a civilian in LA have business owning a handgun or a .22? 

Steve Horton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2006 at 5:02pm | IP Logged | 11  

So we're all into forming "well-organized militias", then?

I know I'm not organized!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Stephen Bergstrom
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2006 at 5:12pm | IP Logged | 12  

"The victims of gun violence would rather not. Of course, you may not have a place for them in your idea of what our society should be."

Nice. Why bother rebutting an argument when it's so much more fun to demean someone?

First of all, don't presume to speak for someone other than yourself. Unless you've been the victim of gun violence, all you're doing is making an assumption based on your own views. And we all know what assuming does.

Secondly, don't presume to know what my idea of society is based on one statement. It's made on insufficient evidence.

Fact is, we live in a society where guns exist. They're obtainable by the criminal element regardless of any existing laws. Any sort of blanket ban on firearms would reduce those possessing them to the law-enforcers and the law-breakers. People would still be victimized, only now those who would otherwise have been able to defend their house/loved ones would not be able to. History has as much as shown us this. In Feudal Japan, banning swords only led to the creation of newer (and in some ways, messier) weapons. Let's not give the criminal element cause to improvise.

<< Prev Page of 65 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version