Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 291 Next >>
Topic: Pencil Practice -- and Beyond! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 May 2019 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 1  

Project Wideawake—I took the back half of the name from an unrelated BBC serial seen when I was a child in England—was intended to be a long-running subplot, maintaining the Sentinels as a background (with occasional flare-ups) menace, and reminding readers that the SPECIFIC event that led to “Days of Future Past” might have been prevented, but there were other paths that could lead to the same destination.

This, of course, went right out the window when Chris decided to have the X-Men FAIL again.

ELSEWHEN will be taking a very different course.

Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2019 at 10:47am | IP Logged | 2  

All I can think is to quote John Denver: "Far out!"

Love the identical Sentinels, love them coming out of hibernation (thinking of the Tomb Of The Cybermen too, one of my favorite old Doctor Who stories). Just love these pages and these kinds of comics telling this kind of fun story... there is often more in one page than in entire issues these days, but it flows so organically (unlike some of the cramped and crammed with text British comics I've seen of the '60s and early '70s however well rendered).

Rule for art... if it works it's good, if it doesn't work then it's bad, so you can basically do or try anything so long as it works. If someone badly traces something it's going to be just that, if they trace something well then it's what that is, and if they cop some riffs as it were and do it so well nobody notices then they are just doing what great and skilled artists have done for centuries, maybe even millennia... I mean wait until someone digs up a Greek statue dated earlier than the Venus de Milo with arms and baskets of fruit; will they take the famous statue out of display and put it there?

This could really re-ignite the stoke in lapsed comic readers of our age as well as be accessible to non-fans, and maybe even be a positive influence where Dark Knight and Watchmen got to be too influential. A much needed restoration of balance?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2019 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 3  

That final page of DOFP was interesting. For one, it was omitted from at least one reprint of the 2-parter. Maybe the editor thought that it was an unrelated subplot, which really misses the point.

Second, in that one page, Gyrich went from being the pencil-pushing pain in the ass from AVENGERS to an X-MEN villain. I am curious if that was the original intent, though.

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2019 at 3:34pm | IP Logged | 4  

Vinny: That final page of DOFP was interesting. For one, it was omitted from at least one reprint of the 2-parter. Maybe the editor thought that it was an unrelated subplot, which really misses the point.

---

I just reread that story recently... I must have one of those reprints because it was missing! I forgot about that page!

Paul Wills
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2019 at 4:42pm | IP Logged | 5  

Those Sentinels - They still freak me out after all these years! (nice page).
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Bill Dowling
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2019 at 7:33pm | IP Logged | 6  

Seeing that image with the Human Torch and Ghost Rider in the same image makes me think it’d be cool to have a Ghost Rider/FF team-up where Sue has to help Johnny (Storm) pretend to be Ghost Rider. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2019 at 8:37pm | IP Logged | 7  

Shadowy men making deals over handshakes behind closed doors at the White House. Glad things have changed!

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2019 at 6:29am | IP Logged | 8  

"I just reread that story recently... I must have one of those reprints because it was missing! I forgot about that page!"

--

Was it the one with the Jackson Guice cover? Because that's the one I recall the page missing in.

Jonathan A. Dowdell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2019 at 9:47am | IP Logged | 9  

I'm curious why that page would be omitted? No superhero? No followup? Page count/folio in a TPB? Jimmy Carter silhouette? 

I assume page count issues.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 03 May 2019 at 7:45am | IP Logged | 10  

I assume it was cut for story reasons - it sets up a future story line.  Not the decision I would have made, but I can see why they would have done it.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 May 2019 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 11  

Marvel has been known to end trades and other collections on actual cliffhangers, so I can’t see why this page would have been seen to be a problem!

Richard Palmgren
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2019 at 11:41am | IP Logged | 12  

Here's a couple of random questions:

1.Aside from Jean, do you think Scott would ever be in a relationship with anyone?

2.Was the relationship with Scott and Colleen Wing you or Chris?

3. Was there ever, in the behind the scenes machinations of Marvel, an idea to have a long term relationship run between characters in different tittles?  Like Scott dating Wanda or something of that sort?

<< Prev Page of 291 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version