Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 291 Next >>
Topic: Pencil Practice -- and Beyond! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2019 at 10:39am | IP Logged | 1  

I had conversation with an art student long ago (1992?) that seemed to consider Zip-A-Tone "cheating" as well.
Back to Top profile | search

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2019 at 10:40am | IP Logged | 2  

Freaking ridiculous page.  I just can't cotton to this project not finding prompt publication and copious distribution to a comics shoppe near me. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2019 at 10:41am | IP Logged | 3  

Seriously,  such critics are ignorant in the truest sense of the word. Artists have used reference materials and several tools to create a desired effect as long as humans have created art. 

I do find outright swipes of another artist's work to be a negative thing, but that's because I see that as using another artist's vision as your own. But using photos, or models, you are still creating your own vision of that which you are referencing. 

Keep doing your own thing, JB, and don't let the loudmouths get to you. I support any artist using whatever tools are available to create the art they envision in their imagination. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 April 2019 at 10:49am | IP Logged | 4  

One of the reasons I’ve gotten into trouble for the model work is that so many people don’t seem to understand how it works. They seem to think I type “1940s Batmobile” or “Shi’ar space shuttle” and walk away to let the computer do the work.

It’s not quite like that!!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 April 2019 at 10:51am | IP Logged | 5  

I hope this is represents the continuation of Project Wideawake.

•••

You bet! I’m allowing myself use of Wideawake since the original concept was mine, and I’m sure whatever Chris did with it, it had nothing to do with what I had in mind.

(This morning I was contemplating exploding some heads by actually showing the President this time—and having him be Barack Obama!)

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2019 at 11:05am | IP Logged | 6  

It's been many years since I read the X-Men comics Chris Claremont wrote after your departure,  JB, but I don't recall him doing much with Project Wideawake, at all.

Richard Palmgren
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2019 at 12:04pm | IP Logged | 7  

Wasn't Chris' connected to those blue and grey Sentinels in "New Mutants"?  I don't think Sentinels ever made it back to Uncanny in any real threat.  
And having just finished re-reading the interview in "Art of John Byrne" , I'm super super excited to see any form of the continuation of the original ideas of having Sentinels roaming around scooping up people.  I only wish there were "Avengers Elsewhen" and "Fantastic Four Elsewhen" so we could see how the Sentinels would cross over into your other masterpieces at the same time
(Don't get me wrong, not actually pushing or hoping for anything more than this already amazing project)

Gundars Berzins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2019 at 12:07pm | IP Logged | 8  

What a great page JB. I've always loved the use of Sentinels. Meant as a complement, that page instantly gave me such a sci-fi Doctor Who vibe. Wonderful.

Keep using whatever process is needed to produce great stuff like this.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2019 at 12:12pm | IP Logged | 9  

"I only wish there were "Avengers Elsewhen" and "Fantastic Four Elsewhen" so we could..."

As long as we are wishing let's go whole hog and just say "Marvel Elsewhen" =)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 April 2019 at 12:18pm | IP Logged | 10  

I'm reminded of one of Shooter's unrealized schemes: he wanted to do a "John Byrne Month", in which I would do ALL the books. Of course, it would have taken MONTHS to set up, producing that much work, and, as we know, the cries of "It looks RUSHED" would ring forth once again, issuing from those who did not realize all the books were not drawn in the same month.

One of the frustrations of my job is the people who imagine themselves EXPERTS, but who really have no clue at all about what goes on behind the scenes. (I actually miss the Good Old Days, when fans were content to know only what that saw on the printed pages of the comics.)

Richard Palmgren
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2019 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 11  

One of the frustrations of my job is the people who imagine themselves EXPERTS, but who really have no clue at all about what goes on behind the scenes. (I actually miss the Good Old Days, when fans were content to know only what that saw on the printed pages of the comics.)
---------------------------------
Personally, everyone who complains about ANYTHING created by an ARTIST (and that includes illustrating and / or writing) should just be completely ignored.  An ARTIST creates their "art";  the public is supposed to just sit back and appreciate it.  It's been that way for literally thousands of years.

I'm thankful for any little treasure you produce.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2019 at 1:28pm | IP Logged | 12  

Richard  Palmgren wrote:
...Wasn't Chris' connected to those blue and grey Sentinels in "New Mutants"?...

Ah... that's right! The Sentinels story migrated over to "The New Mutants."

<< Prev Page of 291 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version