Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 291 Next >>
Topic: Pencil Practice -- and Beyond! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member
Art Pimp

Posted: 25 April 2019 at 7:16pm | IP Logged | 1  

Nathan: My point regarding the pricing of artwork on the Cool Lines site is that they do not "post" prices; as Joe and Paul pointed out, they basically treat the artwork sales as a "fishing expedition" by showing something that they have available, but not posting a "buy it now" price, rather they wait for someone to contact them and then provide a price (which is almost always much higher than current market value).  The price quoted also may vary day-by-day!  :)

Back to Top profile | search | www

Jim Warden
Byrne Robotics Member
Art Pimp

Posted: 25 April 2019 at 8:20pm | IP Logged | 2  

I know JB does not want this thread to turn into a sales pitch, but I am very curious what the Forum readers who also collect artwork would be willing to pay for an ELSEWHEN page.

As background, a highly motivated collector (and super nice guy, who has already posted on this thread) sent me a private message before the April 14 Comic Art Con, in that message he made offers on 11 of the 20 pages JB posted in the "X-MEN: ELSEWHEN in Sequence" thread.  Both of the pages Cool Lines bought from me were on his list and they paid more than double his offer for each page.

Additionally, three close friends who are also on this Forum, met with JB and I the day before the convention and were aware of the asking prices placed on the pages Cool Lines purchased.  The Forum members had advance access to the pages and none of them purchased a page; this may be due to having seen 100+ pages of additional ELSEWHEN artwork and their sites were set on pages JB has not yet posted!

So, to those "collectors" who love to stir things up and/or bitch and moan about not being offered something first, it's time to actually "shit or get off the pot" and send me what you'd actually be willing to pay for the pages JB has shared on his Forum.  My personal e-mail address is:

capshockeyfan@yahoo.com

I look forward to hearing from you.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2019 at 12:23am | IP Logged | 3  

To Jim Warden:
Genuinely, my post was not meant as snarky. It was a genuine question being asked on what appeared to be a number of people on the forum saying that they would have liked a shot at buying these pages, but not at those prices, and then JB saying the prices looked to be more than you sold them for - so the buyers appearing to buy the pages purely to flip them at higher prices.

It was genuine confusion as to what the process had been. I personally don’t buy original art and so do not have a dog in this race. 

I apologise for any perceived snark or offence, absolutely none was meant.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jim Warden
Byrne Robotics Member
Art Pimp

Posted: 26 April 2019 at 8:38pm | IP Logged | 4  

James Woodcock:  Thank you for the follow-up message above; I am sorry if my previous message was overly terse. 

As Eric mentioned above, I have been deluged with messages about the ELSEWHEN pages and I misinterpreted the intent of your initial message. 

I admit I was quite frustrated when I read "If more come up for sale, might it be worth mentioning here that they are available?"  given I had covered this in my previous message. 

For some reason, my brain was processing the last part of the above line as "it might be" worth mentioning here that they are available?"  My reversing those words put the meaning into an entirely different context.  Mea Culpa!I

Thank you again and I appreciate the opportunity to iron things out in a civil manner! 

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 12:41am | IP Logged | 5  

To Jim Warden: all’s well. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 5:44am | IP Logged | 6  

Okay, all done now!!
Back to Top profile | search

Paul Wills
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 7  

John - sorry if this has been answered earlier but when do you decide to draw covers? I know you don't do them right after you finish an issue.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Richard Palmgren
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2019 at 9:53am | IP Logged | 8  

Random Questions:

1. if you had continued Hidden Years for as long as you wanted, would you have brought it right up to GS #1?

2.  What's your favorite Cockrum issue?

3.  Did you have to convince anyone to let you take Logan out of the "Fang" costume for your run?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 April 2019 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 9  

1. That was the plan, tho it would have taken me YEARS to get there.

2. All too good to pick just one!

3. Nope.

Richard Palmgren
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2019 at 11:06am | IP Logged | 10  

Thanks for the answers!

Either before of after you started this "pencil practice", did you ever consider "Elsewhen-ing" another point in X-men history?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 April 2019 at 11:17am | IP Logged | 11  

Nope.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 April 2019 at 7:50am | IP Logged | 12  

A little Photoshop magic:

Something that's bugged me over the years--and that I've mentioned before--is when things seen in adjacent panels, which are supposed to be identical, aren't.* As far back as IRON FIST I was asking the Office to stat backgrounds and the like, to make sure they were the same in multiple panels in a row.

Haven't traditionally been able to do this with pencils, but with modern technology--namely, scanning--I now can. So, some duplicated Sentinels. (Best thing about this, when the inker inks them, there will be enough subtle variation in line to add an extra layer of depth.)

Byrne Bashers, the words you'll want to trot out are "cheating", "lazy" and perhaps even "creatively bankrupt". Have fun!

* This probably dates back to a sequence seen in my fan days, in which a Hero was being shown the death of another character on a monitor. The image was of the figure in fire, freeze-framed. But over three or four panels the penciler drew it each time, and the inker make no effort to make sure the images looked identical. Result, the "frozen" figure seemed to be dancing a jig--not the intent!!

<< Prev Page of 291 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version