Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: 7 Alpha Flight questions to JB Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2024 at 10:11am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Hello JB,

Long time lurker, the appearances of Guardian and Shaman in X-Men Elsewhen prompted me to reread your run on Alpha Flight and reading them as a (ahem much) older adult procured me new levels of stimulation. I know that Alpha Flight is not your favorite subject however I have questions that came to mind when reading the issues concerning the creative process. I acknowledge that the concept was not someting that interested you to begin with and it fascinates me how much quality there is in those issues and it shows how much you were fighting to get the best stories possible with those concepts.

1)        I actually found Jerry Jaxon and James Hudson’s relationship fascinating. Seeing this middle executive going to bitter Lex Luthor type nemesis was I think a very understated quality of the run. The whole notion of patent ownership for the Guardian suit technology was actually very thought provoking and actually made me thing of an allegory for comic creator ownership which was a  topic at the time. What was your inspiration or thinking for the Jerry Jaxon character ?

2)        The disbanding of department H was done at the end of your X-men run and it became the starting point of the Alpha Flight Comic. What was the reasoning behind the disbanding and were there already plans in motion for an Alpha Flight comic ?

3)        I actually like the setting of Department H and all the backstory you created for it, including Beta Flight and Gamma Flight. Why was it decided to discard this setting ?

4)        I found also very interesting how the Alpha Flight characters from your X-men run was actually quite different from the ones in the Alpha Flight run. There was a shot in the x-men run with all their secret identities and description.  It seems that during the first year, Northstar, Aurora and Snowbird went into another direction quickly. Why did you take the characters away from this description ?

5)        It seems re-reading the comics that Beta Flight and Gamma Flight were created to birth Omega Flight from the get-go which is such a good arc for the first year. Omega Flight is I think an underrated villains team with a very good SF concept which reminds me in terms of mood what would come in Next Men. I was actually shocked reading the comics as an adult by the bitterness of the members of the team. Was there any inspiration or thinking with the creation of this concept ?

6)        The tragedy of Guardian’s death is incredibly strong. I actually admire how much depth you gave to the character even though he was not a character you were interested in the first place. It gave the whole run a very mature vibe. All the SF concepts and horror concepts were very incredibly novel to me at the time. What was the thinking about using those concepts in a superhero comic ?

7)        I was reminded how much I like Shaman’s character. It is a staple of your writing in the 80s where you could always find a dependable rational wise man your comics, Reed Richards, Doc Samson, Hank Pym himself. I found interesting the way Heather described him in the end of your run as the backbone of the team and the secondary leader. I was very happy to see him again in Elsewhen , although I really thought for a second you were going to kill him. Was Shaman a character you used for introducing yourself with the mystical concepts of Superhero comicbooks ?

Thank you,

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 September 2024 at 11:39am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Sorry, that’s just too much from too long ago!!

Jason K Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2024 at 3:28pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Nicolas, there's a ton of info from JB re: ALPHA FLIGHT in the FAQ, if you're interested:

https://www.byrnerobotics.com/FAQ/listing.asp?ID=2&T1=Qu estions+about+Comic+Book+Projects#9

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2024 at 3:29pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Hi, Nicolas.
This is Joe from the ‘Waken, Dear Guardian of Alpha Flight” support group.
(Found at WDGAF.org).

I, and others like me, understand your trauma and are here for you when the
itch needs a scratch. I believe as I write this, Ryan is getting an alert on his
Dept H beeper. He should show up soon to facilitate the 28 steps we’ve
meticulously mapped out for ‘Longtime Overreaching Stunted Emotional
Rehabilitation’. Decades of research and intense psychological excavation
have led us to this plateau as we’ve soothed the ache and yearn for the
knowledge and depth just out of reach.

It’s great to have you here, and I hope we can thaw the tundra your soul is
encased in before it becomes a ball of icy mud.

Cheers,
Joesmith(Realname)
Graduate of L.O.S.E.R.
Managing Director WDGAF.org
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2024 at 4:08pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I was actually shocked reading the comics as an adult by the bitterness of the members of the team. 
===

MMy understanding is that Delphine Courtney’s Influencer was stoking these feelings in order to goad them into joining the plan against Guardian.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version