Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Adam Savage Disappoints Me Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 May 2024 at 5:42pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Him and a lot self styled rational thinkers, actually.

LINK

A little past the six minute mark he declares it’s hard to disagree with all the nice things Jesus has to say about humanity. And in so doing he neatly skips over the fact that it was Jesus who first codified the torments of Hell that await all of us who do not worship him.*

I’m frankly disgusted by people who try to fold Jesus into their agnostic thinking. The Bible is not multiple choice. It’s all or nothing, and if you think Jesus said anything different, you’re kidding yourselves. And you’re going to burn in Hell for doing so.

———-

*Forcing the invention of the Trinity, unless we want to accept Jesus standing in violation of the First Commandment.

Back to Top profile | search

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2024 at 5:55pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Adam Savage said, "I agree with pretty much everything that Jesus says in the New Testament."

How does that not make him a Christian?

Which is fine, but why doesn't he just say it. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 May 2024 at 6:08pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

This is a game some people play. I have heard the term “small ‘c’ Christian” used by people attempting to follow the teachings of Jesus without embracing his divinity.

It’s all nonsense, of course. What we call the teachings of Jesus have been passed down thru centuries of biased editing. There’s unlikely to be even one passage that contains what Jesus “actually” said (allowing for the sake of discussion that Jesus really existed, and said anything).

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2024 at 7:15pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I always enjoyed the ominous double edged sword stuff warning how he was supposedly here to overturn and set people against each other. If there was a such a guy whose sayings some people tried to remember and record much later I doubt he would be what many people 'want' never mind some white Robin Hood almost trans dude full of "love' and/or "peace".

It's all a big pile of mess really as it's always been because one thing I do believe is that her on Midgaard or Middle Earth everything is at least half fubed. All writing about everything "belongs" to everyone who wants to read it and make of it what they will, so I neither buy nor shun... it is there, it has effected many, obviously still will effect many, in typical double edged bad and good ways. Someone claims they got off a dug from it, great... another wants some group of fellow humans wiped from existence, not so great. People really should speak for themselves though, using this old Rabbi prophet guy as their sock puppet is just a big dodge and a con.

I'm still going to hell for thinking like I do, and yet still I have the will to think. The "creator" shouldn't have given me my brain otherwise, duh! I think all the mindless prayer reciters and chanters are the people such a creator would really not want around. Can you imagine having to listen to all those people telling you how great you are and how wonderful over and over, for centuries, and by the way usually also wanting something for themselves too. Ick. :^)
Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2024 at 8:25pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

QUOTE:
The Bible is not multiple choice. It’s all or nothing, and if you think Jesus said anything different, you’re kidding yourselves

I find this a slightly curious tack, given you know the history of how the Bible was compiled, and then translated, retranslated, and even recompiled. I would contend it's actually impossible to be 'all or nothing', as the churches themselves have played at multiple choice through canonical debates: for example, the story of Susanna and the Elder, from the Book of Daniel, is not in the Protestant canon, but it is in the Catholic canon.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2024 at 12:39am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The story of Adam & Eve predates Christianity. It came from ancient Babylon, and the fruit was apparently a pomengranate.

Even if you believe in the Bible, you can't be sure of its accuracy. Some of the books were written well over 200 years after the events they're about.

All the paintings of Jesus aren't even accurate: He didn't look like a white guy hippie from the 60's with a tan.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 May 2024 at 1:03am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

All the paintings of Jesus aren't even accurate: He didn't look like a white guy hippie from the 60's with a tan.

•••

If he did, you’d sure have to wonder why the Romans needed Judas to point him out.

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2024 at 1:40am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I could go for a pomegranate right now, but I don't want to be made aware of my nakedness
Back to Top profile | search | www

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2024 at 3:25am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

These “Buffet Christians” annoy me almost as much as people who say
things like “I don’t deny that Hitler was evil, but he did do some good things
for Germany”. To which I typically reply: name one “good thing” he did that
was worth the loss of millions of innocent lives.

Ditto Christ’s alleged teachings - most of which predate Jesus by centuries
or even millennia, derived from historical myths spread throughout the near
and far east by oral tradition. Whatever goodness these teachings bring us,
they could and should be completely separated from the overwhelmingly
negative impact of religion which lasts to this day (see for example Gaza).
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

ron bailey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2024 at 1:26pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I would argue that what we are seeing in Gaza is more the result of the last vestiges of colonialism more than it is that of religion.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 May 2024 at 2:38pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Israel. Covenant with God.

Sure. No religion there.

ron bailey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2024 at 3:04pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

A really arrogant decision was made post WWII by the "powers that be" to move some people out and move some other people in and "give" them a nation. That decision is what has triggered all the fallout ever since. There had been plenty of Jews living in the various countries in the area without conflict for decades before that. 

Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version