Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: The Alpha Flight ’blueprint’ Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2023 at 2:20pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

If I was restarting the book, I'd have gone with the idea that JB's stories were the last "real" Alpha Flight adventures--and what we've seen since is a result (maybe) of the Canadian government no longer approving the comic book stories... and thus they're made up, unrelated to the real team's doings.
And we'd see:
- Mac is on the verge of retirement, having lost a leg years back and dealing with the wear and tear of being a public superhero, plus the demands of being a dad (he and Heather are still happily married and have a teenage daughter);
- Shaman, struggling with what might be terminal cancer, is reaching out to his daughter to train her before he's gone (she'd since renounced her Talisman identity);
- Walter is dealing with PTSD when a car accident killed a close friend... and now he has trouble changing back from his Sasquatch form;
- Snowbird is back but her doings are problematic, as it seems she attacked a gathering of nature-lovers (who turn out to be a cult devoted to the Great Beasts--one of whom is Walt's son);
- and so on.
Back to Top profile | search

Jim Petersman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2023 at 3:10pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

If JB's adventures were the only real ones (and they were;) then Mac and Walt are dead. I suppose Elizabeth may be able to renounce her Talisman identity, but she isn't able to renounce being Talisman, as shown in JB's run.

Personally, I think Heather became a much more interesting character after Mac's death. Would rather just see her happy and having healed.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 September 2023 at 3:30pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I felt Mac was the least interesting character, but that his death generated the most interesting stories—especially for Heather.

Tho it was not my intention for her to put on the suit!

(A hundred years ago a gal pal asked me to make a ROG-2000 shirt for her. So I found some dye pens and drew a Rog head on the front of a white T. Sadly, the colors did not turn out to be as permanent as claimed, an after a few trips thru the washing machine, the drawing was faded almost to nothing. However, while she was wearing it I was struck by how much even a modest bust distorted the image. And when her even bustier roommate borrowed the shirt, the stretching practically obliterated the image.

(I thought of that when I saw Heather being drawn in the Guardian costume. That design was not suited to those curves.)

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2023 at 4:44pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I really looked forward to the title, one of if not thee most anticipated #1 I've ever known. Had the 'Marvel Age' showcasing it and went around to various newsstands to get a UPC code in box edition (and maybe it had a Canadian price, I don't remember). I did the same routine for Thor #337... maybe the comic shop we had was sold out of both of these by the time I'd managed to get into town? Later I'd get the subscription box thing there (and end up with multiple copies of things like Annie #1 along with Wolverine #1 as I had checked ___ copies of any new Marvel #1).

I always thought of Heather Hudson as the wife of Gabe Kotter from Welcome Back Kotter, she would have that Marcia Strassman voice. :^)

I was happy to see anyone 'normal' (wearer of clothes I could relate to as 'real') in comics I liked so I probably wouldn't have wanted her to become another superhero. I always wanted to see more of the X-Men not in costumes and it fulfilled that more than most comics!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Wesley Wong
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2023 at 5:44am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Gabe Kotter's wife! That's it! I could never pinpoint who
Heather reminded me of. HahA, by jove! Now I can't unsee
it.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 September 2023 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Marcia Strassman was quite lovely, but she did not influence my design for Heather.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2023 at 5:33pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I hope I didn't do any damage sharing that fantasy of mine. It could be like when the guy who played Freddy 'Boom Boom' Washington in Kotter showed up on Hill Street Blues... can't unsee him there watching an old Kotter show now.

So often comics had real generic background and supporting characters, or even the main characters out of costume would look very, well, boring... when I think of artists who that was never true of, that made even the older blander out of costume people visually interesting and identifiable I think of Neal Adams and John Byrne foremost.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 27 September 2023 at 5:34pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 September 2023 at 5:57pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

So often comics had real generic background and supporting characters, or even the main characters out of costume would look very, well, boring... when I think of artists who that was never true of, that made even the older blander out of costume people visually interesting and identifiable I think of Neal Adams and John Byrne foremost.

•••

The Stan Lee/Moebius hardcover SILVER SURFER book included all kinds of “extra” material, including the artist deconstructing some of the pages. One, he revealed, he had redrawn several(?) times because he felt one character was not important enough for the amount of detail he was originally including.

Now, my respect for Moebius is nearly boundless, but that brought me up short. I could not imagine deliberately “underdrawing” a character.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2023 at 6:08pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Interesting! Moebius was a great original; original thinker included. :^o

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2023 at 6:09pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

"Heather, did I ever tell you about my uncle Herschel
MacDonald?"

I'll show myself out.