Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 15 Next >>
Topic: Kirby in the 1970’s Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2023 at 6:05pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I really want all the Kirby Mister-Machine-Man run now, plus Devil Dino! It was scratching at my memory that the one issue I had of DD had the name Byrne on the cover... and looking up a scan of that issue I see he got to ink Kirby on the cover of #9! Also get to see how valued these seem to be compared to the past where you could pick up most all of these '70s comics like new in the '80s and probably even most of the '90s for not more than $2 apiece usually. There were other titles along those lines like Godzilla and Shogun Warriors, I guess anything sans superheroes was less wanted in comic shops back then. I remember how hard it was to find (or even ask for) Scamp and Chip N' Dale comics in any but the one shop run by a total Ducks fan. I even remember being told "nobody" wanted the DC Tarzans I was looking for back then when asking about that. Like E.C. fandom, ERB-dom was (and Krenkel and Frazetta fans) a foundation block of comic book and fanzine fandom. You run a music shop do you scoff at customers seeking Bread or Abba because you personally only listen to hard rock?

Anyway, back on track... I like Mike Royer as an inker on Kirby, and early Keith Giffen where he's influenced by Kirby. I'm thinking he may've been the truest of all to the pencils!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2023 at 1:18am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Not from the 70's but I wonder when the artwork was actually done.

CAPTAIN GLORY #1 penciled by Jack Kirby and inked by Frank Giacoia

NIGHTGLIDER #1 penciled and inked(?) by Jack Kirby
Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2023 at 2:13am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

My want list just keeps getting longer!

Ha, if anyone 'complains' about the Byrne signatures on those '70s Charlton covers again just show them these Topps covers.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2023 at 7:14am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Here are some annuals I missed!

AVENGERS ANNUAL #6 penciled by Jack Kirby and inked by Dan Adkins

INCREDIBLE HULK ANNUAL #5 penciled by Jack Kirby and inked by Jack Abel (with John Romita)

THOR ANNUAL #5 penciled by Jack Kirby and inked by John Verpoorten

Edited by Eric Jansen on 14 March 2023 at 2:36am

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2023 at 7:55am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

And Kirby's powerful art graced the covers of a few of those big Treasury Editions!

MARVEL TREASURY EDITION #7 penciled by Jack Kirby and inked by Frank Giacoia

MARVEL TREASURY EDITION #10 penciled by Jack Kirby and inked by Frank Giacoia

MARVEL TREASURY EDITION #11 penciled by Jack Kirby and inked by John Verpoorten (with John Romita)

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2023 at 7:22pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Looking a little green for St. Patrick's Day, here's SILVER STAR #1, (with the main picture) penciled and inked by Jack Kirby.

In fact, issues 2 (inked by Mike Thibodeaux) and 3 (inked by Mike Royer) also have a green tint to them!

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2023 at 3:46pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I've started collecting the '70s Devil Dinosaur and Machine Man... so far just DD #1-6 in my hands to read and read the first three. I'm really savouring these. The first three have a text page by Mr. Kirby and they're pretty thoughtful, even inspiring. He sketches out known science about large reptiles and proto-humans and claims artistic license for the sake of story which is more than fair. I used to have #3 and 9 way back. After the fairly brutal (though we are in prehistoric times) violence in #2 (not too graphically shown though), #3 is quite refreshing as a peaceful resolution between antagonists eventually results! :^)

I'm sure kids simply loved to see a big red T-Rex stomping stuff and baddies (with a monkey guy riding on his back), a bit like the Hulk in action, and you get that, but also something thoughtful in each story. They're stand-alones (so far) with a general progression over-arcing. The art is a great treat and the rough Kirby style dialogue fits really well on this series. I'm thinking he writes kind of thinking aloud Id people ala John Cassavetes, but I'm likely overthinking this! :^D

Kirby was the editor, plotter-scripter and penciller on these two late '70s series, even ran the letters pages from a California address, something Id didn't notice or remember from when I had a few of these first time around. Was this the case for The Eternals I wonder? Would sure like to get that series, but twenty issues is a lot to afford, and I see there is a Godzilla appearance by Devil Dino (and Moon Boy) with prices for that series also seeming rather high! 2001 #8 and Machine Man #1-4 are on their ways at least as well as DD to #9 and a 1997 one-shot.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 24 May 2023 at 3:48pm

Paul Wills
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2023 at 3:58pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

It's nice as time rolls on that Jack Kirby is getting more and more recognition and admiration for what he's done for the comic book industry. Many people didn't give him his due in the early years but that seems to have corrected itself. Maybe its because we compare his stuff with the stuff of today and see what used to make comics great.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2023 at 6:14pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Interesting to be reminded how Kirby in HULK annual #5 essentially did his version of the then-current on model Hulk instead of rendering his own classic 60s version. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2023 at 9:44pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Interesting how they ended up shifting the Marvel monsters around for the final page:

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2023 at 4:29am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I'm thinking the presence of Groot might have raised the asking price for that particular Hulk annual. :^(

Devil Dinosaur #4-6 look like some wild epic with amazing alien machines from the Kirby-verse invading! This series is crackling now. B^)

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2023 at 10:46pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Hey!  Here's some more Kirby!  From DC this time.

ATLAS just really grabbed me as a kid.  I understand they used him in SUPERMAN at some point.

Boy, this one issue redefining MANHUNTER changed SO MUCH in the DC Universe!

Edited by Eric Jansen on 26 May 2023 at 11:00pm

<< Prev Page of 15 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version