Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Bigger Melvin Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 December 2022 at 12:51am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Denny and I had some terrific conversations about those days. Revelations all.
Back to Top profile | search

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2022 at 4:06am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Another thing this sequence illustrates is the value of thought balloons.  Melvin's cockiness makes the payoff joke that much funnier, and (aside from having him talk to himself, which would be ridiculous under the circumstances) there is no other way to depict that.

Brian Hughes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2022 at 2:58pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I love that story.  I first read it in one of the DC Blue Ribbon Digests.  Being compacted down made Neal's art look even more detailed to my ten year old eyes.  

A point that sticks out to me after all theses years though.  Like Batman's "Ten Nights of the Beast" Batman is pitted against a killer dead set on killing a certain number or group of people.  Here it is the Joker killing five former gang members.

Joker gets four of them before Batman stops him and brings him back to his incarceration.

When I originally read this, it felt like a victory as Batman stopped him in the last kill and brought him back in, but was it a victory?  Four of the five are dead.  The kill count for Ten nights of the best was even higher (over 100) with Batman really just saving the President, and yet it was a victory.

Am I missing something here or just giving it too much thought?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 December 2022 at 4:43pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Batman is very pragmatic. For him it’s all about the end. His goal was to stop the Joker. Which he did.

I played off this in GENERATIONS, where Batman take over Ra’s al Ghul’s criminal empire and converts it to good. Some readers were disturbed by the fact that this would mean it was, at least for a while, continuing to operate on the dark side even after Batman took over. But I invoked the end justifying the means, which was how I imagined Batman would see it.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 December 2022 at 4:45pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Another thing this sequence illustrates is the value of thought balloons. Melvin's cockiness makes the payoff joke that much funnier, and (aside from having him talk to himself, which would be ridiculous under the circumstances) there is no other way to depict that.

•••

Agree to disagree?

I think Bigger speaking his lines aloud would play as him trying to convince himself. His cockiness outweighing common sense.

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2022 at 5:19pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The only good line in the entirety of either version of the Justice League film was Batman telling The Flash (in the context of trying to help him overcome his fear of screwing up during a battle where hostages are involved): “Save ONE.”  That felt like it had real insight into what drives Bruce Wayne… though obviously not so much Barry Allen.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Hughes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2022 at 6:20pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Batman is very pragmatic. For him it’s all about the end. His goal was to stop the Joker. Which he did.

I can buy that.  Of course the quick victory at the end on the beach with the pollution joke did help.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2022 at 6:41pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Did this page influence your (brilliant) sequence with Mister Miracle from Action Comics #593, JB? They seem like cousins of sorts, where each panel adds on another layer of difficulty for the hero, with the payoff being how the difficulty wasn't close to enough to overcoming the hero.

Big fan of both sequences.

William Costello
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2022 at 7:07pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

JB: "But I bought it off the spinner rack at a local convenience store, brand new!"

I did too. I still have my copy today but well beaten up, since I read it so many times.

Brian Morris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2022 at 8:38pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Mr. Byrne----What impact did the collaboration of Denny and Neal have on you as a fan and as a storyteller when you read them for the first time?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 December 2022 at 10:12pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Immeasurable!!

Brian Morris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2022 at 7:25pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Mr. Byrne---If Generations had continued, would you have explored Bruce's time at the helm of Ra's organization further?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version