Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: Everyday something new Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2022 at 7:39am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I have John Byrne stored in my Ebay preferences, so that whenever something John Byrne related pops up, it shows on my 'saved' timeline. There I get the usual comic book and the original artwork sales. 
But occasionally some stuff from other John Byrnes appears on my saved page, like John Byrne the poet, John Byrne the musician and there seems to be even another John Byrne cartoonist.

Today I got something new. The saved page was flooded with pictures of John Byrne the football/soccer player...lol.

Back to Top profile | search

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2022 at 2:04pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

If for nothing else, great quad reference!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 July 2022 at 2:19pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Coincidentally, I was trying to find out if there had ever been a collected edition of a certain comic I did at Charlton. Without giving it a whole lot of thought I googled “John Byrne Space 1999”.

Of course, many of the results were about Johnny Byrne (no relation) who wrote for the show.

(This set me flipping thru the bound volume of my Charlton work, and the horrifying realization that the first ROG-2000 story published there was in an issue of E-MAN with a January 1975 cover date.)

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2022 at 10:03pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Oh, how about a Space:1999 mini series to bring you out of retirement/unemployment?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 July 2022 at 1:59pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Not a chance!

The Eagles are among my favorite spaceship designs, but the show—-well, a guy’s gotta eat.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2022 at 5:25pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Just about when I was first discovering the comic book art of John Byrne, was around the time that began to also pay close attention to football -- this was the 1985 to 1986 football season, and back then I collected the Panini Football 86 sticker album.

As a consequence, just about every player from the English First Division is scorched into my memory, from Ricky Hill (Luton Town) to Glenn Roeder (captain of Newcastle) to Luther Blissett (Watford)... and that means I remember well John Byrne of QPR.

(back then the sponsor for West Brom was -- good for the kids -- a No Smoking symbol, paid for by W Mids Health. QPR's Guinness wasn't quite as good for the kids)

Before then, in the early 80s, my favourite TV show was Doctor Who. I remember well The Keeper of Traken, which introduced companion Nyssa and Anthony Ainsley's version of the Master. It was written by Johnny Byrne (the one who wrote for Space: 1999, mentioned above by JB. He also worked on another old favourite: All Creatures Great and Small).

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version