Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 57
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN 27--Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2022 at 3:00pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Came upon a site declaring that I cannot draw children. “Proof” was offered in the form of my portrayal of young Logan in this issue.
------------------------------------
Obviously they didn't bother to understand lil' Logan was not your average-looking kid.
Your drawings of children always looked normal to me. But I have noticed this theme fairly recently. It's the fact that someone wrote this once and the 'fanboys' ran with it. Doesn't matter how well you draw them or not, it becomes a thing - "Do you know John Byrne?"  "Oh yeah, isn't he the one who can't draw children?"
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 September 2022 at 3:33pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Yes, probably just the latest in the never draws backgrounds all faces look the same only lasts eight issues, etc.

Why cloud the issue with facts?

Back to Top profile | search

ron bailey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2022 at 4:58pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Now that you mention the "only lasts ..." criticism, I distinctly remember appreciating that you gave the courtesy of ANNOUNCING that you were leaving a book, for whatever reason(s), and I really appreciated that, however disappointing, rather than being surprised by a new team when you weren't expecting it.  < id="protanopia"> < id="deuteranopia"> < id="tritanopia">

Steven Queen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2022 at 1:26pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I re-read the Miller Wolverine mini-series again after many many years.

Two thoughts on it:

1) It was a good story, but not really a Wolverine story.  It twisted his character along Miller's preferences, which didn't really fit what had been established.  So many modern movie anti-heroes are now carbon copies of this version.  Lot's of implied killing by our hero too which was taboo back then.  It should have been an alternative universe story.

2) I have no idea how Claremont ever got "scripting" credit on this book.  The dialog, pacing, everything is so clearly and strongly in Miller's voice who is listed only as "penciler".  The exception seems to be that repetitive hero-summary at the beginning that has to remind us ad nauseam who Wolerine is and what his super-powers are.

When I read Elsewhen I see exactly the same thing with respect to the original X-men run --- those are so clearly in John Byrne's voice --- except for some injected weirdness.

It has me wondering if this was some sort of long-running con-game Claremont played to take credit for his collaborator's work?

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2022 at 4:10pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

QUOTE:
It has me wondering if this was some sort of long-running con-game Claremont played to take credit for his collaborator's work?

This is bizarre. Are you actually suggesting Claremont didn't script the books with which he was credited?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 December 2022 at 4:57pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

A couple of curious strands tangled on that Wolverine book. Frank, having noted Chris’ tendency to bury my art under his copy, left lots of open space, while Chris, seeing Frank’s terse scripting style, decided to mimic it.

The result was a book that neither read nor looked like a typical Claremontian job.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 December 2022 at 4:34am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

ELSEWHEN is something that is pure John Byrne and, as such, I have trouble understanding any complaints about it. This book exists because John Byrne had an itch to do it. It scratched that itch. Period.

People who wish it did anything different see some other purpose, some other reason for it to be made-- missing what it is by mistaking it for what it isn't.

Steven Queen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2022 at 10:40pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

JB wrote:
A couple of curious strands tangled on that Wolverine book. Frank, having noted Chris’ tendency to bury my art under his copy, left lots of open space, while Chris, seeing Frank’s terse scripting style, decided to mimic it.

Either Frank gave him an uncredited assist with the script or Claremont is a very skilled mimic.

I think I found a panel that demonstrates what you were saying:

All that space left for the words and then they still put them inside the illustration with terrible contrast to the background.  Someone got their wires crossed!

Now that you mention it, I do see some of Claremont's finger print in the repetitive text.  Every interesting idea has to be said two or three times, like a recap.

With regard to Miller:  In retrospective I had come to see him more as a writer than artist, because he settled into such a minimalist style.  Looking back though, his layouts were fairly inventive, and poking out here were the shoots of his Moebius-like hatching that bloomed on Ronin starting to emerge.  It just was something he discarded pretty quickly.  Too labor intensive?

Edited by Steven Queen on 14 December 2022 at 10:45pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 57
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version