Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 42 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN 23--Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2021 at 1:04pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

MIRROR/RORRIM

Rhymes with "FEAR FORUM"

Coincidence?

I loved this issue! This series is characterized for me by the way it has more stories going on than I can easily keep up with.

At this point, I can be totally gob-smacked by any of a dozen options popping up on the next page as a "Meanwhile, over here..." scene-- and it will feel perfectly in line.

Bring on the RIRROM!!
Back to Top profile | search

John Northey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2021 at 4:48pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Oy.  Was hoping for more today, but geez, nice page to end an issue with.  Glad it isn't 30 days until the next issue starts up (I hope...)

Like everyone here I have ideas on what is next but I expect to be nicely surprised.  Even if not, it will be fun.  As to the Facebook stuff - I post links to this forum all the time in groups when stuff about 80's X-Men comes up (seems an appropriate time to bring this up) or if someone mentions artists of that era, but never posting pages.  The links should do the trick.

A shame the Alpha Flight page couldn't have been saved for today (Canada Day) but the story comes first.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2021 at 5:39pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

MIRROR/ЯOЯЯIM

The depths of Unicode.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2021 at 9:16pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Home at last, and getting to see today’s page at larger size……I can
HEAR that image…..
Also, is it Ink?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 July 2021 at 4:31am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Aside from the outline of the vehicle, which I drew on paper and then scanned, this page is all Photoshop.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 July 2021 at 5:58am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

A shame the Alpha Flight page couldn't have been saved for today (Canada Day) but the story comes first.

•••

I didn’t pay a whole lot of attention to Canada Day when I actually lived there. In the 40+ years since then, it’s pretty much slipped off my radar entirely.

John Northey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2021 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

No shock there as Canada Day wasn't really much of a big deal until after 1982 when the Constitution Act was passed which finally made Canada (mostly) independent.  Still part of the Commonwealth and technically the Queen could force us to go to war but that is getting into details few care about.  I remember pre-1982 it was May 24th that was the big deal, but after it became July 1st.  Scary - that is almost 40 years ago now.  I pointed out in a different comic book group that 1981 is as far in history to kids today as 1941 was to us in 1981.  Time slows for no one.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2021 at 11:47am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I think we switched from singing God Save The Queen here to O Canada at school assemblies in the late '70s or early '80s. I did appreciate the snowy masthead yesterday! :^)

Canada Day this year was a non-event out west between the virus, the heat dome, and the residential school graves in the news. I was a bit worried hearing some bozo on our street late at night with fireworks given all the grass and everything else here is bone dry right now. I had to get up and go check around outside for any possible danger like my BF usually has had to do in Seattle on July 4th. The record heat and drought combined has killed people inland and even more pets outright, and even wiped an entire town from the map ala Paradise, California, but some patriot still felt he had a right to set off fireworks around others' properties at night.

Pride week is still going here however and that's more enjoyable... anyone can pretend they are heading toward Asgard on the rainbow colored crosswalks! I'd love if they repainted the buses like Berlin did so I could have Magical Mystery Tour flashbacks. :^) But of course I know the important thing is the show of welcome and acceptance for people who have always been around us, just, as Harvey Milk pointed out, many weren't able to know that. I love any sign of progress for us as a species, even if it takes an anti-hate graffiti removal task force to maintain...

Looking forward to the new issue more than ever!

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 02 July 2021 at 11:49am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 July 2021 at 5:48am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I remember pre-1982 it was May 24th that was the big deal, but after it became July 1st.

•••

I don’t recall it ever being anything but July 1st. Often thru my childhood and youth there would be a celebration at school on June 30th—if it was a weekday—as that was the last day before summer holidays began.

(And if June 30th was a Monday we were still required to put in a full day. The same was true at the other end, if September 1st was a Friday.)

What was the significance of May 24th?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 July 2021 at 5:52am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Okay, googled. Victoria Day? I don’t recall that getting more than a fleeting mention.

Where were you?

John Northey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2021 at 8:44pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Funny - guess it depended where you lived.  I live in Ontario and always have.  Grew up in Cambridge where it was a big deal (an hour west of Toronto).  Ontario has a lot more loyalists to the crown than other parts of Canada though so that might have been why May 24th was always a big deal here.

Oh yeah, we did God Save the Queen at school in the mornings until the 80's sometime here too.  O Canada was also done - morning music took forever it felt like as a kid, God Save the Queen, O Canada, I think we even did a prayer sometimes (public school, not Catholic).  Then morning exercises with pop music.  Funny what sticks in your mind decades later from school.

Edited by John Northey on 05 July 2021 at 8:48pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 July 2021 at 6:14am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

We sang O, Canada and we prayed*, sometimes with a reading from the small Bibles we had all been given. This was also in public school, circa late 1950s.

God Save the Queen was reserved for school assemblies.

* The Lord's Prayer, indicating yet again that nobody had actually bothered to READ the New Testament.

<< Prev Page of 42 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version