Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: Donner Version of "Superman II" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Robot Wrangler

Posted: April 19 2005 at 7:20am | IP Logged | 1  

Anybody know about this fan-assembled DVD of Donner's version of the second Christopher Reeve movie? Terry Austin just phoned to say he'd read something about it in "Entertainment Weekly", but the website to which the article directs the curious (www.supermancinema.co.uk) does not yeild much.

(And if you don't know anything, please, please, please don't post to say you don't!)

Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew Kneath
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: April 19 2005 at 7:24am | IP Logged | 2  

Aleady discussed in another thread...

http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5303& amp;PN=1&TPN=1

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Robot Wrangler

Posted: April 19 2005 at 7:25am | IP Logged | 3  

Anybody care to save me having to scroll thru four
pages of posts?

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: April 19 2005 at 7:29am | IP Logged | 4  

These two pages are all that were posted 

Edited by Rob Hewitt on April 19 2005 at 7:30am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: April 19 2005 at 7:29am | IP Logged | 5  

Almost four years ago, a group of dedicated Superman fans around the world sent out the call for video recordings of the first televised broadcasts. Thousands of dollars and countless hours were spent restoring the footage and reintegrating it into the film. And finally, the results of their hard work are ready to be seen. The project leaders have announced that the Superman II: Restored International Cut two disk DVD set has been completed. According to the announcement, the set contains:
  • The complete two hour, twenty-six minute version of the film.
  • On-screen commentary track, detailing what footage Donner shot, and other Restored International Cut trivia.
  • Long out of print documentary "The Making of Superman II."
  • Long out of print "Superman II Soundtrack."
  • "Lost Scene Gallery" featuring pictures of Donner's unreleased work on Superman II.
  • "Restoration Demonstration" showing before and after footage examples.
  • Complete RIC artwork folder. All the artwork, from the cover to the disc art, it's all included in TIFF file format.
Also included is the following message to Donner, which explains the motivations behind this project:
    An Open Letter to Richard Donner
    Your work is not forgotten. This restoration project, the Restored International Cut exists as a tribute to your vision and efforts.
    It's been more than twenty years, and your fans are still patiently waiting for the real Superman II. Many of us have gone to great lengths just to get a glimpse of the film we've long been wanting to see. While we wait for an official release, the bootlegging community has shown no qualms in charging fans extravagant prices for low quality reproductions of footage known to exist. It is our hope that this project will offer fans a more reasonable way of obtaining those scenes.
    This Restored International Cut of Superman II has two main purposes. First, to give fans the opportunity to see those scenes in the best possible manner, without having to pay inflated bootleg prices. This whole endeavor has been done as a labor of love, and is strictly non-profit. Secondly, to let you, Warner Brothers, and anyone else with influence know that the fans are still eager to see the rest of your lost work on Superman II.
    Thank you and everyone else who collaborated with you, for all your hard work on the Superman films. I hope someday, all the fans of this film will have the opportunity to see the rest of your vision.
As stated above, the Superman II Restored International Cut was a non-profit project and thus, it is not available for sale. However, the creators behind this project want to ensure that Superman fans everywhere get a chance to see this DVD. Towards that end, free copies are being made and distributed. And fans are being encouraged to make more copies to share with others. There is a forum, to request copies of the RIC, which can be found here. Due to a large number of initial responses, the request list is currently closed, but it should be reopened soon.

A trailer for the Superman II Restored International Cut is already online and can be seen here. It not only demonstrates the restoration of the footage, it also includes a preview of an even more ambitious project: the Superman II Green Cut. The Green Cut will be a fan edit of the film with spruced up special effects and reedited, to remove some of Lester's changes, in order to create a film more in keeping with Donner’s original vision of Superman II.

For more on the Superman II Restored International Cut and the Green Cut, check out http://www.supermancinema.co.uk/

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: April 19 2005 at 7:33am | IP Logged | 6  

April 4, 2005: Superman II: Restored International Cut

In 2001 work began on a fan film project for "Superman II." The ultimate goal was to raise awareness about the lost footage from that film, and hopefully convince anyone with influence that the work of original "Superman II" director Richard Donner should see the light of day. If you have no idea about the long odd history of this film, please refer to the Superman II section. You'll learn all you need to know, and more.

This project began as a fan edit. The hope was to recut the film to make it feel more like Donner's "Superman The Movie." Before work could seriously begin, the extended TV broadcasts needed to be acquired to include some of those great Donner moments that didn't make it into the theatrical cut.

There would always be those hard-core fans that would want to see everything. So with the support of fans and friends from around the globe, the fan edit was put aside, and the business of restoring the entire film began. It took about 2 years to acquire the footage, and make it watchable, but the results were less than satisfying. The word once again went out for extended broadcasts, and both Bill Williams and Jonathan Hoyle answered the call. The choice wasn't easy, but after a lot of scrutiny, Bill's footage was the actual source chosen to improve RIC. But special thanks to Jonathan for sending his original master as well.

It's been said many times, this film will never win any quality awards. The footage supplied came from home recordings. So anyone expecting amazing detail and clarity will be sorely disappointed. But if you've seen any version of the extended broadcasts, you'll probably appreciate the way it's presented here. Great care has been taken to make the film as watchable as possible, no commercials, no subtitles, no station ID's. Thanks to the generous help of a very talented individual, even the audio got a polishing as well.

The final two disc RIC DVD set contains:

• The complete two hour, twenty-six minute version of the film.
  • On-screen commentary track, detailing what footage Donner shot, and other RIC trivia.
  • Long out of print documentary "The Making of Superman II."
  • Long out of print "Superman II Soundtrack."
  • "Lost Scene Gallery" featuring pictures of Donner's unreleased work on Superman II.
  • "Restoration Demonstration" showing before and after footage examples.
  • Complete RIC artwork folder. All the artwork, from the cover to the disc art, it's all included in TIFF file format.

So how do you get a copy? This question has been incredibly difficult to answer. The most reasonable solution seems to be a trading "tree" idea. DVD's have already been sent out to all the contributors, as well as a handful of others. Simply make a request on Superman CINEMA's message board in the Trader's Forum. RIC was mastered in both NTSC and PAL. There's no guarantee someone will help provide a copy, but people have already shown interest in trading it.

"Restored International Cut" is strictly non-profit. It's become a worldwide effort created by the fans, for the fans. If you would like to contribute to the project, please help spread the word about the real "Superman II." With enough fan support, maybe Warner Brothers, or even the Salkinds themselves will someday make available the lost work of Richard Donner, Christopher Reeve, Marlon Brando, Geoffrey Unsworth, and many many others. If you get your hands on a copy of RIC, please share it with others.

RIC's artwork and DVD menus were generously donated by the immensely talented George

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/print.php?type=N&item_id =666

Dave Pruitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: April 19 2005 at 7:35am | IP Logged | 7  

I read the same piece in EW. A team lead by an unnamed person cobbled together something closer to Donner's version from pieces of video tape fans provided. Apparently years ago, a truer version was broadcast on television in Europe. They were giving DVDs of the so-called "restored international cut" away via a website www.supermancinema.co.uk, but have stopped due to pressure from WB. It was basically designed to get WB to consider issuing a Donner director's cut.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Wayne Osborne
Byrne Robotics Member
Manhunter

Posted: April 19 2005 at 8:29am | IP Logged | 8  

http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/rage/index1.htm

Looks like it's been shut down.  I would have really liked to have seen the scene with Superman and Lois.  But I'm sure that there will still be copies floating around at cons.

WO

Back to Top profile | search

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: April 19 2005 at 9:00am | IP Logged | 9  

I bet we'll se copies of this DVD at the big conventions this summer.

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: April 19 2005 at 9:33am | IP Logged | 10  

To Mr. Byrne and everybody else. I have a few things that I want to share with you, this is probably a lot of old stuff that you know already, but there might be some new facts and views:

In a mag (from the US) I read when Christopher Reeve was still OK, I mean before the tragic accident, there was an interview with Margot Kidder, where she said in short: 

The movie company did suddenly not want to pay Richard Donner for his work, then they put Richard Lester as the director: Of course, Richard Donner was the director, and the film was completed, but according to US law the director is not the director if his time of footage directed is less than 65 percent of the film.

According to Kidder, the easiest way to "change" directors would be to let 65 perecent be directed by Richard Lester and since it was already filmed 100 percent by Richard Donner as the director, they decided to reshoot the easiest scenes, which happened to be the scenes with "Chris" (as she called him) and her.

To save money, and to not step on Richard Donner's toes, they had to rewrite the scenes completely. The scene where Kidder through herself into the Niagara river, was a new version of a scene by Donner, where in a similar manner, Lois in order to prove that Clark is Superman, throws herself out of the Daily Planet building. The interviewer found this to be a wonderful scene.

All the scenes in Canada had their equivalent Donner version in Metropolis, according to Kidder. When asked, where this footage was, she said that it was in a vault somewhere, and it could not be released, because then Donner will have to get paid since it will exceed the 65 percent limit.

The versions on TV, therefore, do not (my conclusion)

• exceed the 65% limit
  • include the vault footage

With vault footage I do not mean added scenes, they are probably added in several TV versions, but the scenes that should be there instead of the footage shot in Canada. There is a big diference there.

Another strange thing: When I was a kid, in our Superman book (Sweden), some guy got published, had sneaked into the studio and read the entire Superman script and he wrote down the entire film in short. This was probably bogus I thought at first, it was in 1976, and I actually read it, it was very short but it exactly resembled Superman I and Superman II connected in the way that the bomb at the end of the first movie "became" the bomb bginning the second movie, releasing the phanotom zone villains. Superman did not turn back time, he instead threw the bomb into space.

There had to be some thruth to this, since the synopsis or whatever matches the two movies. I have also heard that they were filmed at once according to Gene Hackman. In an interview Hackman was approached with "this is you third time in a Superman movie" right after Superman IV and he said "no, it's my second time, the other movies were filmed at once".

Edited for spelling and in order to more directly reply to Mr. Byrne's question or thoughts, I want to add that if the DVD or VHS cover there doesn't show Lois throwing herself from the Daily Planet building I am not interested in this "Donner version" of the film.

Edited by Lars Johansson on April 19 2005 at 9:40am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: April 19 2005 at 9:48am | IP Logged | 11  

Matt Hawes wrote:
I bet we'll se copies of this DVD at the big conventions this summer.

No doubt, although I'm sure you'll have to pay dearly for it, which is against the original idea of it being a non-profit item available to everybody.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: April 19 2005 at 9:53am | IP Logged | 12  

Richard Donner noted on the commentary to the DVD release of "Superman: The Movie" that he had shot more than 60% of "Superman II" during the same period he shot the first film, as I recall.

For fun, watch "Superman II" and notice how Lois's hair changes length during the course of the film.

Also, any footage with Gene Hackman clearly shown as playing Lex Luthor (not long shots, for instance) was filmed by Donner.

Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version