Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Galactus vs. The Celestials. Who wins? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 8:30pm | IP Logged | 1  

let's define some power levels here:

Galactus:  to me, the stan lee/jack kirby and john byrne interpretations were the best by far(though i do have a fondness for the jim starlin  interpretation).  but, for sheer power these versions should be enough.

The Celestials:  we have a peculiar problem here:  though this is pure kirby, i don't think he got the chance to really delve into the characters.  they are just powerful and mysterious.  i guess that's enough.  and i know i like the original versions and intent of the creator, but in a situation like this, and for this scenario, we can use the rest of the appearances of the Celestials for the remainder of the '70's and 80's.

but with that all said, i think Galactus wins.
Back to Top profile | search

Monte Gruhlke
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 8:37pm | IP Logged | 2  

Awesome pic... I'd side with Galactus winning any time it's one on one. But you know what happens in gangs: several of them need to fight you so one of them can look so tough!

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bill Catellier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 10:24pm | IP Logged | 3  

A fully powered Galactus wins this battle.  Until you get into the aspects (such as Eternity) Galactus is the single greatest power in the Marvel Universe.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2011 at 5:23am | IP Logged | 4  

If one follows the journey of Franklin, we get an added wrinkle.  Post-Hero Reborn storyline says Franklin is a "Young Celestial" and in the weak Abarax storyline, he burns out his power restoring Galactus to life.    and he isn't even a fully mature Celestial and he creates pocket universes.

Overall, I think Kirby created them to fulfill the same role--battle against the gods, so they originally were probably equals.  Both were space gods.

Garry Porter II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2011 at 7:57am | IP Logged | 5  

I think Kirby created them to fulfill the same role

that's the thing here:  Kirby.

these concepts and characters need to be on Kirby levels, in terms of power level, of course, but most important of all, in terms of how to write them.

IMHO,  if Galactus and the Celestials were written right, then Galactus would be the most powerful.  even if a whole group of Celestials fought Galactus.

the current writers at Marvel really think that the Celestials can beat Galactus in a "group on one fight".  they even think one Celestial can beat the big G.

i once read where a current Marvel writer or editor or a reveiwer on a famous comicbook site was saying that the Celestials can easily kick Galactus' butt.

mainly its because in their mind, the Celestials are way bigger and taller than Galactus, and because of that fact alone, then they can beat him.

Current Marvel just looks at Galactus as a guy in a purple suit who "eats" planets.  and that's pitiful.

when in reality, Galactus is an entity/being who is the totality of the old super universe or the "first" universe for Marvel(possibly a multiverse), who birthed this universe/multiverse.

the Celestials should avoid Galactus whenever they can.

The Celestials cannot dare to compare to who and what Galactus is.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2011 at 8:15am | IP Logged | 6  

Galactus.

Much as I like the conncept of the Celestials, Galactus wins this one hands down.

Jonathan Stover
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2011 at 8:24am | IP Logged | 7  

What does Galactus look like to a Celestial? Does he look like a Galactus-type Celestial as much larger than a Celestial as he is bigger than human beings or other alien races when they see him, or do they perceive his 'real' aspect, whatever that is and however big that is?

Food for thought!

Cheers, Jon

Garry Porter II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2011 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 8  

What does Galactus look like to a Celestial? Does he look like a Galactus-type Celestial as much larger than a Celestial as he is bigger than human beings or other alien races when they see him, or do they perceive his 'real' aspect, whatever that is and however big that is?

Food for thought!

there is another thread on this forum that pops up from time to time.  it's called "Galactus Stuff".  one of my favorites. 

anyway there is one post of a pic of Galactus where he is so big that the silver surfer can barely size up to his nose. i remember someone posting that Galactus is now "Celestial size", and that he was not used to seeing Galactus looking that way.  also,  i remember JB commenting that Galactus can attain that size(maybe even bigger), if he were fully satiated.  seeing, now, as to how Galactus can be written the right way and the potential he has as a character, i tend to agree.

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2011 at 8:20am | IP Logged | 9  

It's interesting to note that in an issue of "What If" Korvac dispatched Captain America armed with the Ultimate Nullifier to take out Gatactus, most probably because he could not defeat Galactus personally.

I'm not sure how this plays into the whole Marvel continuity thing. But later on in that same issue Korvac simply drained the Celestials of their power and absorbed their energies into himself.

Admittedly at this time Korvac had absorbed the energies of several other cosmic beings in the Marvel pantheon, so he may have then had powers that he had not formerly had. But I'm not sure if he could so easilly absorb Galactus into himself as he did with the enitre Celestial host.

Galactus appears to be in some way linked with the very essense of the Marvel universe, whereas the Celestials appear to be outsiders to it, perhaps from another parrallel universe altogether. Their combined powers may rival that of Galactus but I do not think the Celestials would be able to defeat him, even with Exitar.

Of course if Galactus were to enter the dimension of the Celestials the shoe might be on the other foot. It's definitely an interesting question. 

Ok, here ends my fanboy rant...

PS. That artwork by Giorgio Comolo is really cool!

Edited by Dale Lerette on 01 April 2011 at 8:24am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2011 at 9:31am | IP Logged | 10  

Dale; here is my fan boy response:  Korvacs may have avoided Galactus because he got his powers from Galactus.  He raided Galctus' computer and the information evolved him.  So his avoidance of Galactus might have had something to do with that rather than fearing his power level.

And if I remember correctly, someone asked how could Korvacs absorb the Celestials.  This was in a letter page and the answer was, after absorbing the powers of mutants like Franklin and others who could equal Phoniex, he would have the power to absorb the Celestials.

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2011 at 9:34am | IP Logged | 11  

Marin; I think the idea is not that only one Celestial has the power to destroy planets, but that each one has its own job and powers.  Plus the big red guy doesnt destroy planets; he erases all unworthy life and civilization and restarts life on that planet, Garden of Eden style.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2011 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 12  

Galactus. He's a force of nature. The Celestials are just beings within nature.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version