Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: The Effect of the internet (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2007 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 1  

"So, we're coming out against Internet comics discussion here. Am I reading that right? And no, this isn't snark."

No worries. No snark detected, Mike. It's a grand little pot we all find ourselves in. And ain't that kettle over yonder the darkest shade of black you've ever seen?

Back to Top profile | search

Mark Lafleur
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2007 at 1:10pm | IP Logged | 2  

"Whether we like it or not, the fingers on the keyboards are also pulling far too many of the strings."

Perhaps but doesn't that have more to do with the weakness and/or incompetence of the editors of the Big Two? Are we expected to walk on eggshells, just 'cause some people don't know their job?

Kirk Melton III
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2007 at 1:11pm | IP Logged | 3  

Every time you go to a website and see a post from someone bitching about MAN OF STEEL, or the Clone Saga, or the Death of Phoenix -- or, for that matter, even just discussing these twenty and thirty year old stories -- you see how inbred fandom has become.* And why the internet is, overall, a very bad thing.

An EXCELLENT point JB. It is fun to discuss these stories, to a point. It's fun to speculate what's gonna happen in an upcoming issue of a fun, readable comic. It's fun to say what's your fave story event, sketch, cover, etc. But the whole dissection, vivification, bitch, piss and moan sessions that so many forums become because of fandom .... takes away from the fun of readin comics, in this instance and being on the 'net, in general.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Patterson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2007 at 1:14pm | IP Logged | 4  

I'd agree it's a bad thing... but for many different reasons.. it has helped, along with the likes of wizard, the industry become all about "the superstar creators & their personalities" involved in the comic books, rather than about the characters - i knew who kirby was as a kid, i knew he was a brilliant comic book artist, but i didn't know what his opinions were on every little nuance & frankly, didn't want or need to... Don't get me wrong, being able to speak to creators & learn from them, or more about the industry is a GREAT thing, but i don't wanna know that 'mr.kewl from IMAGE hates mr.kewl from MARVEL'... like jb said, that type of fan turned pro mentality is only a bad thing...& unfortunately, is the norm these days

infact, if anything, that side of the web has actually STOPPED me enjoying some otherwise great work

I've made a fair few friends online who are comic book readers, but i agree that there is also a very negative aspect to everyone being 'in the know'

Adam Gomes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2007 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 5  

Kirk: Are you saying it's fun to sing the praises of good comics, but wrong to complain about bad ones?

Adam Gomes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2007 at 1:16pm | IP Logged | 6  

And, can anyone point to an example of fandom outside comics that doesn't have any sense of community, real or imagined by it's members?

Mike Thorn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2007 at 1:17pm | IP Logged | 7  

Sorry I don't see how the hobby or the fans would benefit from being alone.
Would Baseball be better if everyone believed that they alone were watching the game, and had no contact with other fans? How about -any- hobby?
Seems to me like a good way to make people who have zero social skills feel better about themselves, and not much else.

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2007 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 8  

"It's fun to say what's your fave story event, sketch, cover, etc. But the whole dissection, vivification, bitch, piss and moan sessions that so many forums become because of fandom .... takes away from the fun of readin comics, in this instance and being on the 'net, in general"

You mean like what happens here on a fairly regular basis? For a long time I've asked that the negativity stop. Might as well ask the wind to stop blowing. You have about as much chance of success. Them's the breaks. People have all sorts of opinions. Including negative ones. The big difference between now and the Golden Age of comics is it isn't a bunch of kids sitting around a playground talking about the latest Superman comic. Instead it's .. well, us.

Times change. There's good and bad in all of it. If you focus on the bad that's all you'll ever get out of it. If that's the case it's time to find a new hobby.

Kirk Melton III
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2007 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 9  

Kirk: Are you saying it's fun to sing the praises of good comics, but wrong to complain about bad ones?

+++

No...I'm not saying that..I suppose I just try to be optimistic. But I seem to see more complaining than appreciation for comics as an art form. AND I wanted to make sure that I stated that it's not just in one forum...it's in so many forums, I think I see more ... disdain than pleasure. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong forums. It is not wrong to complain about comics that are unliked, at all. I think, on the internet, I see more .. darkness or negative thinking than positive. In THIS forum, I see a pretty good balance of appreciation for comics as an art form than in other forums.

Adam, I appreciate that question as I was coming back to my post to ensure my own clarity.

Adam Gomes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2007 at 1:26pm | IP Logged | 10  

Kirk, my pleasure, and I know what you mean.  I can't think of one forum I've visited that only concentrated on the fun of comics.  Maybe that's just not human nature?

Kirk Melton III
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2007 at 1:27pm | IP Logged | 11  

Trevor I see your point, but I dig comics wayyy too much to just let all the bad stuff affect me. My point is further illustrated above. And I do admit freely that I might be lookin in the wrong forums. I hoped I DIDN'T focus on the bad...but I guess I sounded like a spelunker of angry opinions.

David Whiteley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2007 at 1:29pm | IP Logged | 12  

I see a lot of positivity for "traditional" comics here - the kind JB excels at producing. But I also see a lot of insults hurled at anything that veers from that type of product, often before the comic is even published. This is not so bad, but then the person who reads said comics are sometimes insulted too.

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version