Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: JACK KIRBY’S FOURTH WORLD OMNIBUS (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2007 at 7:41pm | IP Logged | 1  

It's vintage Jack (even though everything that Jack ever did worked for me) .. that's all I needed to know, and more than reason enough to buy it. 

Edited by Jesse Garcia on 03 July 2007 at 7:42pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Angelo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2007 at 7:59pm | IP Logged | 2  

I bought the Paranoid Pill issue off of the spinner rack.  It was my first exposure to Scott Free.

Whoah. What a great memory and first exposure.

My first Mister Miracle exposure was a Perez JLA issue. It had a situation where Batman and Mister Miracle were breaking into this locked and heavily chained cube. I can't recall who or what they were freeing, but I was like, "Who is this cool-looking hero in the red, yellow, and green - surely not Karma, Karma, Karma, Karma, Karma-Chameleon!"

*On another tangent: I watched a ton of Justice League Unlimited episodes while on vacation last week. It was cool to see the Mister Miracle/Big Barda/Flash episode written by the escape artist himself - Steranko!

Zaki Hasan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2007 at 9:42pm | IP Logged | 3  

I got this and the 2nd FF Omnibus in the mail today.  Talk about Kirby overload!

George Edwards
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2007 at 1:52am | IP Logged | 4  

JKFW omnibus- finally here. To me it's required study material! Kirby was the best. Someone well-remembered by lifetime fans, and well-deserved to be called a genius.

Gene Mason
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2007 at 4:47am | IP Logged | 5  

I just got mine yesterday and I can't put it down. It's...too..much...for...words. I think I need a new word to describe it. It's mindblowingly beautiful.
Back to Top profile | search

Jeff Albertson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2007 at 12:06pm | IP Logged | 6  

QUOTE:

I bought the Paranoid Pill issue off of the spinner rack.  It was my first exposure to Scott Free.

That Omnibus could have a forward by Jimmy Hoffa...  no one would buy it unless they're a Kirby fan.  (They might read the forward in the bookstore or on Amazon.)

I'd prefer an introduction by Evanier, Infantino, or someone else that was there (But I can wait for Evanier's Kirby bio.)

I'd like to see Stan Lee write an intro to one of these volumes.  Just for the hell of it.

Evanier does have an article in the back of the book, so it's not like he was bumped by Morrison. 

I'd love to read Stan's opinion about the books and his reaction to them at the time, but I doubt he'd remember particulars.  I also suspect that he would be so conscious of not wanting to ruffle feathers that he would decline an invitation to do so.

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2007 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 7  

I was going to pass on this after hearing all the negative reaction about the paper, but if JB is RAVING; it deserves a look!

John Angelo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2007 at 2:13pm | IP Logged | 8  

I've been on Amazon reading these Omnibus customer reviews. About 3 consumers gave one star based on the low-quality paper. They're liking it to newsprint and one even stated the ink was rubbing off.

Anyone can verify or deny?

I for one am glad the paper is not glossy, but I don't want overpiced newsprint or ink that rubs off.

John Papandrea
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2007 at 2:17pm | IP Logged | 9  

I just received the second volume of the Fantastic Four Omnibus and highly recommend it. Excellent quality print and paper.

David Ferguson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2007 at 2:32pm | IP Logged | 10  

I might pick this up even though it'll cost more over here. $50 should be about 45 Euro, but I'll bet it costs around 60.

Scott Free has always intrigued me.

Gene Mason
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2007 at 5:24pm | IP Logged | 11  

I've been on Amazon reading these Omnibus customer reviews. About 3 consumers gave one star based on the low-quality paper. They're liking it to newsprint and one even stated the ink was rubbing off.

Anyone can verify or deny?

+++++++

I've been reading it all day and I haven't experienced any ink rubbing off. Sweaty palms maybe?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 July 2007 at 5:33pm | IP Logged | 12  

About 3 consumers gave one star based on the low-quality paper.

•••

Blockheads. The paper is not "low quality" -- it's just not so friggin' shiny you have to read the book in a dark closet. Those who have trouble with the quality of the paper are exactly those the comicbook companies have been aggressively courting for the past couple of decades. Magpies. "Yes, we had to raise the price again, but ooooooooo, look! We made the paper shiny!."

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version