Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 444 Next >>
Topic: Acting Presidential Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2018 at 2:20am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The thing that is most puzzling to me about the Kavanaugh situation is that Republicans are willing to go to the mat for this guy.  It's not like he's the only conservative judge out there.  It wouldn't be difficult to find a judge who holds the exact same views as Kavanaugh, yet does not have the skeletons in his closet that Kavanaugh does.  Why do something that pisses off and alienates so many people when you could accomplish the exact same result without needing to do that?  I can understand why Trump is sticking with him... he doesn't care about the politics, he simply wants to "win."  But I would think guys like McConnell and Graham would be more pragmatic
Back to Top profile | search

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2018 at 3:45am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Maybe they are all frightened Trump will turn his "wrath" on them if they go against his will, and lose their little positions of power.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2018 at 7:32am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Let's face it, the GOP could have rock solid proof, including video, of everything Kavanaugh's accused of, and they'll still confirm him.  Period.  The only way he cannot be confirmed is if the ABA starts disbarment proceedings on him for lying under oath.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2018 at 7:44am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

ABA - the only bar that Kavanaugh wasn't pleased to hang around.

Paul Buchanan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2018 at 8:05am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Let's face it, the GOP could have rock solid proof, including video, of everything Kavanaugh's accused of, and they'll still confirm him.  Period.  The only way he cannot be confirmed is if the ABA starts disbarment proceedings on him for lying under oath.

No tape necessary. But having a date, location, witnesses that actually corroborate an accusers story instead of deny it, physical evidence, or having an accuser that doesn't lie may actually make things a bit more convincing.

I remember reading about the Salem witch trials and thinking how ignorant, naive, and ugly those people were back then. That could never happen today I thought. People are too informed and intelligent today for something like that to happen......It's sad to realize people are just as stupid as they were over 300 years ago.  

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2018 at 8:58am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

And yet, it doesn't seem to be a witch trial. One woman had the courage to try to stand up and protect the supreme court against a violator on the list of nominees; he got selected; and her comments became pertinent.

Others stood up to state that she was right, or that they had seen the same behavior... and this spotlighted the problem.

Kavanaugh perjured himself.
He showed he does not have the emotional or mental control to be a judge on the Supreme Court.
The Republicans pressed HARD against an FBI investigation when it was the most reasonable and natural thing.

Some people ARE stupid, no question. But some are smart, and brave, and trying to do the right thing for the U.S. We have laws and procedures now, and all most people want is to have those enacted.

Paul Buchanan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2018 at 11:17am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

And yet, it doesn't seem to be a witch trial. One woman had the courage to try to stand up and protect the supreme court against a violator on the list of nominees; he got selected; and her comments became pertinent.

Others stood up to state that she was right, or that they had seen the same behavior... and this spotlighted the problem.

WHO stood up and said that what Ford said happened?! Name 1 person. The 4 she named either said they had no idea of it occurring, or that it DIDN'T happen. She also refuses to turn over her polygraph results or her therapists notes. Doesn't sound like someone wanting to get to the bottom of things.  

Kavanaugh perjured himself.

How did he PERJUR himself? Give me a specific example.It's an easy word to throw around - especially if you don't know what it means.  

He showed he does not have the emotional or mental control to be a judge on the Supreme Court.

I suppose you'd sit there calmly as you were accused of being a GANG RAPIST?! As your wife is sitting there having to listen to it! Give me a break.I assume the fact that this accuser has walked back these claims means nothing to you either, or the fact that there are no witnesses or reports of these alleged rapes. 

And the 20+ years he has sat on the bench as a judge show you nothing about his temperament? No, the fact that he got mad when being accused of being a rapist disqualifies him. I'd LOVE to see you sitting in that position and see your reaction.   

The Republicans pressed HARD against an FBI investigation when it was the most reasonable and natural thing.

I suppose the 6 previous FBI investigations mean nothing then. They then agreed to a 7th, so there goes your argument. 

Some people ARE stupid, no question. But some are smart, and brave, and trying to do the right thing for the U.S. We have laws and procedures now, and all most people want is to have those enacted.

You're right, we do have laws. And principles of laws. Presumption of innocence is one of them. And when you're accused of a crime it's up to the accuser to prove guilt, not for the accused to prove something didn't happen. That's not possible when we don't have a date, location, time, or ANY witnesses. It's odd to see you trumpeting the law and procedures of this country, while at the same time you completely desecrate them. 

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2018 at 11:19am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Paul Buchanan wrote:
No tape necessary. But having a date, location, witnesses that actually corroborate an accusers story instead of deny it, physical evidence, or having an accuser that doesn't lie may actually make things a bit more convincing.

I remember reading about the Salem witch trials and thinking how ignorant, naive, and ugly those people were back then. That could never happen today I thought. People are too informed and intelligent today for something like that to happen......It's sad to realize people are just as stupid as they were over 300 years ago. 

I presume then that you support the idea of a lengthy, comprehensive investigation of all the accusations, to determine the likelihood of their truth or falsity?  And that you are completely opposed to the notion of rushing through a vote on the confirmation of Kavanaugh before this comprehensive investigation is completed?

Paul Buchanan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2018 at 12:30pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I presume then that you support the idea of a lengthy, comprehensive investigation of all the accusations, to determine the likelihood of their truth or falsity?  And that you are completely opposed to the notion of rushing through a vote on the confirmation of Kavanaugh before this comprehensive investigation is completed?

There are reportedly 300 FBI agents working on this - the 7TH! - FBI investigation. The FBI will investigate it thoroughly even though they don't have a date - hell even the year, location, the house layout keeps changing, changes to the timeframe and multiple inconsistent stories by Ford, or any witnesses. 

If another FBI investigation was so important, then why did Feinstein withhold Ford's information for 2 months. Why not question Kavanaugh during his hearing. Why haven't Ford's polygraph or therapists notes been turned over as requested? Why does her story keep changing?

This latest FBI investigation is solely an attempt to either have Kavanaugh resign, have Trump withdraw his nomination, or delay. Anti-Kavanaugh activists will never be satisfied anyway if the FBI results don't go their way (as if they have a clue about how an investigation would be run anyway). You're not looking for a proper investigation or justice to be served. It's SOLELY about politics. If you destroy an innocent man who has shown nothing but living an exemplary life for 30+ years, or his family as well, you couldn't care less. 

It's ironic that in a a group hosted by JB, who has himself been the victim of so many "bad Byrne" stories, that so many here are so quick to believe allegations made with virtually NO evidence. Sounds eerily familiar.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2018 at 1:28pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The assumption that this "7TH" FBI investigation is somehow exactly like the six that preceded seems false to me. The notion that there is nothing to be uncovered this time that was not already looked into on the six previously investigations seems deluded. We have lots of evidence in the form of statements, calendars, texts, letters, etc. I will step to the perjury plate and take a swing:

Kavanaugh texted former classmates in an effort to get photos and character witness statements in advance to the New Yorker's story release date regarding the Ramirez allegations. In the senate committee, Kavanaugh stated he didn't become aware of the story until it was released.

I know Kavanaugh's accountability is a sliding scale for most people, but I have a feeling we will get an in depth analysis of perjury in the next few days or weeks.

Comparing what is happening regarding this appointment to a "bad Byrne" story is kinda gross, Paul. While similar in that they fall into situations where there are two opposing viewpoints, it is the subject matter and way the stories are recounted that makes this comparison ludicrous.

Edited by Eric Ladd on 03 October 2018 at 1:29pm

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2018 at 1:52pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Roald Dahl's Matilda faces off against Trump, in statue form:

Matilda Vs. Trump

Edited by Bill Mimbu on 03 October 2018 at 6:31pm

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2018 at 1:54pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I love it when someone on one side of the extended team sport that is American party politics accuses the other side of only caring about politics.

Because everyone who is rational and looks at it with a clear and objective mind knows that the Sox are the best and the Yankees suck!

Edited by Steve De Young on 03 October 2018 at 1:55pm

<< Prev Page of 444 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version