Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 444 Next >>
Topic: Acting Presidential Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2018 at 7:37pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Interesting... WH stenographer says she resigned over the Trump administration's lack of respect for her office after Trump reduced the roles of the White House position... "In my five years with President Barack Obama, off-the-record discussions with reporters happened after work hours - not for an hour in the middle of the work day, and certainly not before an interview," she said (speaking of Trump's off-the-record conversation with former Fox News host Bill O'Reilly.).

"Mr. Trump likes to call anyone who disagrees with him 'fake news.' But if he’s really the victim of so much inaccurate reporting, why is he so averse to having the facts recorded and transcribed?"

For all of this, I hold the GOP Congress responsible.

-C!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2018 at 7:45pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Anyone who was shocked by the news conference has not looked past Trump's words and into his ego.

"Anyone who was shocked?" At this point, I'm disgusted and tired of this crap coming from Trump and his followers/enablers.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2018 at 9:13pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I have not the energy to go through Paul's post point-by-point but that "expel 60 Russian diplomats" point is worth addressing. It's being used by the right as a propaganda bullet point on how "tough" Trump is on Russia (tougher than anybody!). Expelling 60 of the 455 diplomatic personnel in the US (not counting "unofficial" personnel like Carter Page's now-jailed associates), is at worst a minor inconvenience to the Russians.  Mostly to Russians who want travel papers and other consular services from their embassy.  Also, in this case staffing levels were not reduced, so the personnel (including any who were spies) can just be replaced. Not as bad as them being closed on a holiday, but inconvenient.  Expelling diplomats is usually what you do when you want to look like you are doing something, but don't really want to do anything. It's just symbolism.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 19 July 2018 at 12:14am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Paul Buchanan wrote:
Certainly only a traitor would 
- Get NATO to increase their defense spending by 5%
- Approve the sale of weapons to the Ukraine
- Increase US Troops in Eastern Europe
- Close Russian consulates, and expel 60 Russian diplomats in the US
- Kill 200 Russian military mercenaries, and injure 300 more causing 100% casualties in Syria.
- Attack Merkel for her natural gas purchases from Russia
- Approved the export of natural gas, as well as the Keystone and Dakota pipeline construction.

I won't debate the merits of calling Trump a traitor.  What I will take issue with is your "sterling rebuke" vis a vie the examples you cite, my comments in bold:

- Get NATO to increase their defense spending by 5% - Nations, not surprisingly, dispute this number and don't call his recent appearance as anything like the "triumph" Trump wants us to believe it was. In point of fact, nothing was etched in stone no matter how much Trump and his administration wants to believe it was.

- Approve the sale of weapons to the Ukraine - OK.  The one "gotcha" from your litany of false positives.  We're selling "defensive arms" to Ukraine.  Whoopee! 

- Increase US Troops in Eastern Europe - Here's a BBC article from March 2016 wherein we (the US) were already increasing troops in Eastern Europe.  Link  So Trump did...what exactly?

- Close Russian consulates, and expel 60 Russian diplomats in the US - Big deal.  With over 400 Russian diplomats working on US soil, 60 is a drop in the bucket. 

- Kill 200 Russian military mercenaries, and injure 300 more causing 100% casualties in Syria. - Clarify "100% casualties" please.  In any event, this is from Trump, the man that said in 2013 that we should "stay the hell out of Syria" and blasted Obama for even considering any action against them.  Now he gets a pass?  Now this action should be evidence of his Americanism?  Seriously?  I can't even.

- Attack Merkel for her natural gas purchases from Russia - Great.  He attacks a NATO ally for obtaining needed utility but still won't wholly admit that Russia both attacked American democracy in 2016 and is working to do it again in 2018.  Wonderful. And the EU is "a foe". Russia good. Europe foe.  Spectacular.

- Approved the export of natural gas, as well as the Keystone and Dakota pipeline construction. - You must not live in the Plains States.  The Keystone and Dakota pipeline is not universally accepted as a net positive.  Its existence crossing, as it does, tribal lands is still a point of contention.  You, personally, may see it as a positive, but many do not. It's certainly not a sign that Trump is holding "strong" against Russia.
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 19 July 2018 at 12:32am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I guess I have to ask...amid all of that posturing, all of the examples you cite as Trump being "tough" on Russia, why couldn't he do it on the biggest stage with a worldwide audience watching?  In a 45 minute press briefing, why couldn't he have the balls to stand up to Putin?  Seize the moment.  Make it Reagan in its historical significance re: the Berlin Wall.

Let's say all the backchannel bullshit you reference is actually 100% accurate. When given the opportunity to stand up to a despot, instead of confronting him head-on like every other president has regardless of party, Trump decides to bow down, to placate, to demure, to actually take the word of a man who should (by all reasonable measure) be held on War Crimes.  Instead?  It's gently tossed off as "wasn't good". 

Wow.  Strong rebuke.  

How low do you have to go?  Seriously.  How much concession do you have to give to the man, concessions Republicans never EVER gave Obama when he floated the idea of talks with North Korea in 2008 as just one example.  When he did?  It was considered an outrage by FAUX News and touted as a president soft on our enemies.  Now? In the age of Trump?  It's Nobel Prize worthy.  Double that with regard to Russia.

Ridiculous.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2018 at 12:41am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I was in Russia a few months ago. The souvenir shops sell Trump memorabilia. I’m being completely serious. Saw him on shot glasses, a t-shirt, and numerous matroyshka dolls. This was after the diplomats were expelled.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 19 July 2018 at 12:52am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2018 at 1:46am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Took this in St. Petersburg. Again, after the Consulate was closed because of the reciprocal response to the Russian diplomats being expelled.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2018 at 1:50am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

This picture was actually taken in Estonia, but these types of displays full of Trump nesting dolls were all over the shops I went to in St. Petersburg and Moscow.

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2018 at 2:31am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Michael, do you mind if I post those on Facebook?  Seriously, I had no idea.
Will credit of course. Understand if you don't want me to.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 19 July 2018 at 2:41am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Post from someone I know on Facebook, name redacted.  He's a guy I grew up with, so, yeah I find it shockingly batshit crazy : 

"First President Trump brings peace to the Korean peninsula, now he is ending the Cold War. What will this monster do next?"

This is what we're up against.  Someone who thinks that because Trump visited North Korea, that issue is over.  Because Trump visited Putin, that issue is over.  The lack of historical context not withstanding as the actual Cold War ended with the destruction of the Berlin Wall,  these are the kinds of people who vote and vote hard.  In every state.  People who don't know fuck all about history and believe everything fed to them by their party of choice.  

Just saying...

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2018 at 4:06am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Scary. Really scary
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 444 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version