Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 444 Next >>
Topic: Acting Presidential Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2018 at 8:10am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Something to keep an eye on:

"The President says he’s signing an executive order to end family separations. The actual aim seems to be to pick a fight with the courts and allow separations to continue while blaming judges. According to The New York Times, the President will sign an executive order allowing children to be detained indefinitely with their parents. The problem is that that violates a 1997 consent decree saying that you can’t detain/imprison children for more than 20 days (technically what’s currently happening isn’t detention). It straight up violates that order. So what will almost inevitably happen is that a court will step in, say you can’t do that and then Trump will announce that the judge is forcing him to keep separating families."

That's exactly what will happen. Nothing illuminating here. It was done only to buy Congress more time to come up with a legal way of dealing with the issue. Trump is obligated to follow the law, and he's asked the legislature to come up with a solution. If you don't like the law, then have it changed. But to blame any President for doing his Constitutional duty of enforcing the law shows a lack of understanding of how the political system works. 

It's also interesting how this crisis just seems to have come to the publics' (and medias') attention immediately following the release of the IG report. Interesting for sure.......
Back to Top profile | search

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2018 at 8:55am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Seems to me ha's had a bad week and needed an ego lift, so off he went to a nice crowd that he talk crap at but would be praised for talking.

I love that the crowd probably would spout that America is the home of the free while throwing someone out for heckling (not attacking, heckling) the President. There's your freedom right there.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2018 at 9:19am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The cover of the July 2nd issue of Time.

Anthony Vitrano
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2018 at 9:45am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

When I saw the TIME 7/2 cover today (see previous page if you missed it) I IMMEDIATELY thought of this panel.

Edited by Anthony Vitrano on 21 June 2018 at 9:47am

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 21 June 2018 at 10:50am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Paul Buchanan wrote:
It's also interesting how this crisis just seems to have come to the publics' (and medias') attention immediately following the release of the IG report. Interesting for sure.......

Only if you're of a conspiratorial bent.  To the rest of us, it's a crisis of Trump's own making and the public should rightly not only have been alerted to it, but be vocal in that condemnation as well. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2018 at 11:19am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

“Crisis of Trump’s own making” is the watchword of his administration. If he could just stop Tweeting for a week after any of his “accomplishments”, his approval rate might be a smidge higher. But he’s continually undermining himself by starting up some new controversy.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2018 at 11:50am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The crisis was brought about by the administration's decision to begin interpreting and enforcing the law in a completely new way. Up until a few months ago families entering the US for whatever legal or illegal reason(s) were not separated. If it seems to have just come to the public's or media's attention is because it just started being done in a new and horribly monstrous way. Drawing a line to the IG report as if we are supposed to ignore that in lieu of the immigration issue seems weak to me. I took note of the report, it basically confirmed what we already knew or suspected.

Jim Lynch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2018 at 8:43pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I see the administration attacking the airlines for not taking separated kids, saying something like 'the border is broken, why won't the airlines help?'
The FLOTUS wears a controversial jacket, her people say it wasn't a message, POTUS says it WAS a message, aimed at fake news. 
Congress is working on a bill to keep kids with their parents at the border, but are also working to cut aid to poor kids already here. 

I have to keep checking, is the planet we're on square?
Or I keep expecting everyone I see to have goatees and agonizers. 

Paul Buchanan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2018 at 9:45pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

This seems to put the Time magazine cover in a different light:

So the child was never separated from the mother. The mother basically kidnapped the child. And the mother was being searched by border agents (after illegally crossing the border) causing the child to cry. Do you ever feel like you're being played?

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2018 at 10:08pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

"detained at a family residential center in Texas but are together and are doing 'fine.'"

Yes. That's part of what I was trying to say about people getting all outraged yet again over something being reshown and replayed over and over, day after day after day. Now what when it's not so black and white good vs. evil? Being suspicious doesn't have to be about some vast conspiracy though. Shriekings about traumatized children and nazis never seem to go out of fashion with some people, make sure you aren't in with them on the next one of these.

Oh, I forgot, they 'forced' change with these flippings of the lids all around, they made Trump have to fix things. Yeah, sure he fixed things... :^(

Reality is complicated. Goodies and baddies are mostly to be found in old superhero comics. You're going to have to communicate with the 'enemy' eventually, and in a manner other than shrieks and manufactured outrage. Or do some just want to be 'right' about something?

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 21 June 2018 at 10:11pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Paul Buchanan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2018 at 10:28pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

"Denis said his wife and daughter were never separated by border control agents and remain together." 

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2018 at 10:57pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

The media has gone bonkers. If this somehow magically
went away, they would find SOMETHING to go after. This
stuff did not make the media go hysterical when Obama
did it. It's only because it's not their guy in the
office.
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 444 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic