using the FBI. Kinda like the IRS targeting right
leaning businesses or people, while turning a blind eye
to those on their side. Not saying the pardons are
right, but that is how he sees it.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2018 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The guy plead guilty to his charges. He admitted guilt and this clown steps in and says he was treated unfairly. By who? Himself for admitting he did wrong? If this isn't a signal of things to come I will be surprised. My expectation would be that other criminals will be found guilty by evidence in court or their own admission and then Rump will swoop down and pardon them across the board while claiming they were treated unfairly by the secret society of swamp dwelling deep state Illuminati.

Edited by Eric Ladd on 31 May 2018 at 1:22pm
Back to Top profile | search

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2018 at 4:00pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

What's worse, D'Souza taunted former prosecutor Preet Bharara on Twitter after the pardon was made public. Trump fired Bharara (appointed by President Obama) after he refused to resign last year.

For those not aware, D’Souza said the Charlottesville rally was a hoax, started a conspiracy theory about the Vegas shooting and mocked shooting survivors from Stoneman Douglas High School. This guy's pure TRASH.

-C!

Michael Sommerville
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2018 at 4:12pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Pleading guilty and Presidential pardons are not unheard of. Both Democratic and Republican Presidents have done it, one even pardoned his baby brother's guilty plea. Rod Blagojevich is a former Democratic Governor not a Republican crony. Martha Stewart, publicly voted against him. Many pardons are political, it is not a new concept created by Trump. It may be possible that he is using pardons to signal future intent or more than likely, with his short attention span, someone put forth a name and he said ok and went back to putting practice.

Michael Sommerville
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2018 at 4:20pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The only thing that made Preet Bharara's firing atypical was initialling asking him to stay on. It is my understanding that with a new administration most resign or are fired. Was the firing political, of course. Was the refusal to resign political. of course.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2018 at 4:48pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Yes, everything is completely normal, there is nothing to be concerned about.

Michael Sommerville
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2018 at 6:18pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The honest truth, I do not think there is anything to be concerned about normal or not. Free press is not going anywhere, institutions are still solid, no new wars so far, right to protest unimpeded, Presidential orders are reversible, ACA hurt but not repealed, etc. It is better to have the fringe groups in the open than plotting behind closed doors, then you see the boogie man is more foolish than scarey. American democracy is not on the edge of any cliff. If people are outraged enough, there will have been two years of Trump, with a split Republican party, then two years of gridlock I would guess. It would take a lot for one man to ruin the world in four years. 

The biggest take from the Trump Presidency is do not rely on Presidential orders to get things done, laws are harder to change. 

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2018 at 7:12pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I think Trump suffers from what a lot of people do. "The
enemy of my enemy is my friend" and "The friend of my
enemy is my enemy."

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 31 May 2018 at 10:04pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Michael Sommerville wrote:
The honest truth, I do not think there is anything to be concerned about normal or not.

Can't agree with this sentiment at all.  You're talking broad strokes.  I, and many Americans, are seeing small chips.  Where you place Trump in the context of the world ("ruin the world" is hyperbolic), I place him in context of an American's every day life.  

First off, I'd say it's dangerous to presume that what Trump stands for doesn't negatively affect the world as a whole and is a grander part of the nativism that is touching nearly every country.  Aside from that, what I see at home in America that you may not as a Canadian is the power Trump has that enables people to be their worst selves.  It's no small thing that KKK leader David Duke (among others of his ilk) hailed Trump's election as a triumph.  Implicit in his remarks is how Trump spoke to them without mentioning them by name.  Wink wink.  Nudge nudge.  Trump has empowered those white people who felt powerless by news stories that they're increasingly becoming the minority to speak out in ever more dramatic, vocal, public tones and feel safe doing so.  The Manhattan lawyer who just a few weeks ago threatened to call ICE on two people speaking Spanish isn't just some isolated nut job that always existed.  He's part of a much larger group that has come out of the woodwork emboldened by the narrative that his voice is of value, his opinion on nativism matters so much so that he can threaten to call a government entity to expel American citizens from the country simply because they weren't speaking English.  That's not a radical voice any more, Michael. He's not "fringe" and he's certainly not "the boogyman".  Not in the America where I currently reside. 

Second, stop with the "free press isn't going anywhere" crap.  The free press in America is under attack like it hasn't been since Nixon.  Legitimate outlets and incredibly competent reporters are called into question all the time and told that what they are writing is fake.  Trump, unlike anyone even Nixon, claims that anything...ANYTHING...that doesn't align with his view is wrong, fake, and should be ignored. He flips on a dime, says he didn't say something he's actually recorded in an interview as saying ("Comey fired because of the Russian investigation...oops, sorry...not fired for that" bullshit) and then what do his supporters do?  Believe him.  Spread the lie that all news is fake except the news "vetted" by Trump.  I'm sorry.  You may feel that's "nothing to be concerned about" but I do.  I worry about it every day.  It's normalizing the idea that there's no truth except what Trump says to +/- 40% of the population that supports him. And I'm supposed to...what?  Just consider that SOP and move on?  Seriously?

I could parse more from your post (oh so much more), but those are the two most glaring to me.  Yeah, there's a fucking lot to be worried about and if you aren't, I think it's just putting your head in the sand for four years thinking everything will be all right when you pull it out in 2020.

Eric Kleefeld
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2018 at 10:12pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Kicking off an unprovoked trade war is a chilling move — with Canada, Mexico, and the European Union all at once.

Trump seems to be bent on wrecking the economies of the free and democratic countries, while doing economic favors for the dictatorships that do his family businesses favors.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 31 May 2018 at 10:20pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

China anyone? Threatening a trade war.  Talks.  Ivanka gets Chinese patents and Trump gets investments in a new tower there. Cooling. Deals done. Now new trade war. Why this has gained so little traction with anyone reflects the new normal.  We all know Trump is corrupt, that he in fact hasn't divested himself from his businesses at all, but because of all the other crazy shit this administration does on a nearly hourly basis, this story gets punted to page five.  

Nothing new here.  Don't worry about it.  The press is still free, the ACA is hobbled to the point of life support (but it's still going!) and America isn't in a new war and all that.

Please.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2018 at 10:32pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

While the U.S. news is mostly focused on racism and pardons tonight, in Canada it's pretty much all about the huge trade war Trump's causing right now with Canada, Mexico and Europe and how it's going to hurt a lot of people, even those backing him so far for those tax cuts that mostly benefit the wealthiest.

I think because the U.S. after eight years of Bush Jr. didn't quite make it to extreme meltdown stage (and now let's beat up on the guy who came in and had to do a lot of stuff to keep things afloat like they beat up on Busk Sr. for not keeping the no new taxes rhetoric even though Reagan raised taxes many many times)... maybe people think another bad choice slacker in the top spot will also be survivable. Unfortunately they tend to actually listen to him and believe his taking credit for everything good and blaming anyone else for everything bad. Bannon even chimed in that Martin Luther King Jr. would be proud of Trump for employing so many blacks (unemployment figures began their decline under Obama and Trump merely allowed this to continue directly linear to what was established long before he came in).

You don't think a 1929 can happen again even though they have been tossing out many protections put in because of 1929 and earlier crashes for decades? To supposedly 'stimulate' and not 'kill jobs'? Those protections called regulations were things created from very hard experiences.That brief window where Obama had some real power to deal with the banks he wimped out or trusted them to have learned their lesson. It's just lucky for some social security hadn't been tied directly to the stock market by Bush Jr. just before that 2008 meltdown. I hope the U.S. is learning that the phasing out of oversight over government is very risky to say the least and a lot better fix to the so-called swamp than a creature from a neighboring swamp, as would be more stringent conflict of interest laws.

What else can be said though to people who "know in their hearts Donald Trump is a Christian and not a racist."? Our information age has partly failed us, and partly been hijacked by fanatics or outright enemies and haters of democracy. One day the trains may well not run at all or you will find yourself requiring wheelbarrows of cash to buy food, and those who had been draped in your favorite flag will be golfing in The United Emerates or Dubai with the executives of Haliburton. Outrage would be a useful response if it weren't usually being so misdirected at some poor people at the bottom, a woman wanting reproductive health services and protection, the welfare mother who didn't have terminations, the Mexican laborer doing what they've done for generations, or as Trump once whined, the educated black who has a very easy time compared to him.

<< Prev Page of 444 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version