Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 444 Next >>
Topic: Acting Presidential Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2018 at 1:58pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Those Birthers' heads would EXPLODE..!!!!!!

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2018 at 2:23pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I absolutely love Tammy Duckworth and I'd love to see her make a run for President, BUT I don't think she can.  Her father was an American, but I don't know if she was born on US soil or not.  She was born in Bangkok.

——

When Ted Cruz (who was born in Canada) ran in 2016, there were a couple of state courts adjudicating lawsuits on his eligibility that ruled a child born abroad to a US citizen is considered a “natural-born citizen”. 
Back to Top profile | search

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2018 at 2:27pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Cruz's situation was a bit different though.  Supposedly his mother voted in a Canadian election.  And the only way to do that is give up her US citizenship.  

It was still being researched when he dropped out of the race, so it wasn't verified.... yet.

But, yeah, Duckworth would make a great President.  But her Asian roots and looks, plus her gender, would make the biggest uphill battle of all time for candidate.  Too many people would be highly prejudiced when it came to voting.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2018 at 4:44pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Tammy Dusckworth’s father is an American citizen.  By birth she also is an American citizen (natural born).  It’s the same for Obama and John McCain.

Years of Trump’s birther bullshit has clouded this issue long enough.

As for her ethnicity being a factor in her not becoming President...

Barack.  Hussein.  Obama.

A black man with an Arabic name.  

He won.

Twice.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2018 at 6:03pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Robbie, you have one good point that should be expanded into several good points. I'm not a political scientist, but my understanding has been that the Constitution - the law of the land - is a living document, and should be subject to change... as per the will of the people.

Change requirements to be president? Eliminate the Electoral College? Add another branch to the government? None of these should be blindly gainsaid, but they should always be open to discussion.

Not as if application of laws (and especially changes in the tax code) aren't applied and modified without approval ANYHOW... I believe a semi-annual Constitutional Congress could be a good thing (or whatever period people like.) Nothing MUST be changed... but so much COULD, 242 years later.

Of course, that idea is dead in the water the instant it becomes subject to political parties. Ah, well... is the United States open for business again yet? >:(

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2018 at 6:04pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Eliminate the Electoral College

Do it. Twice over. ;)

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2018 at 9:28pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I think folks are missing the common theme of the past three presidential elections. Voters didn't care that the candidate was Black or a moronic billionaire. They wouldn't care if the next candidate is Asian. They want someone to turn the failing fortunes of the country around. And if that is not an option, then they want someone to burn it all to the ground. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 22 January 2018 at 9:31pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2018 at 8:15am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Joe, I think you're close. A couple of discussions...

ITEM: I think people want someone to turn the failing fortunes of THEIR part of the country around. I can't believe that all that many voters in Mississippi give a damn about how things go in Idaho, or Vermonters thinking all that much about what's happening in Utah. Of course, there are some... but I don't believe too many care. As long as someone promises to make things better for THEM... then those People On The Other Side (tm pending) can go to Hell.

ITEM: I would have said that gender and skin color do have a lot of influence on candidates and their vote getting... but I guess that a lot of minorities and women voted for 45 also. So you may have a good point there.

ITEM: Whether the voters cared or not, I can't remember many recent presidents who were not rich. Multi-millionaires, if not billionaires. That seems to be the first qualification to be president anymore... THEN born in the USA, 35 years old, etc.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2018 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Voters didn't care that the candidate was Black

——-

Given the amount of energy devoted to proving that he was a fake American, I find this hard to believe. People who are saying that voters didn’t care are blind to how much the 2016 election was about white fear. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2018 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I think people want someone to turn the failing fortunes of THEIR part of the country around.

——-

I think it’s telling that even though the economy stayed on the same trajectory in 2017 as it was on 2016, his supporters were crediting Trump for fixing things even though his “policies” didn’t have time to have an effect. How were things failing if they stayed mostly the same?

Make America Great Again is not about fixing the failing fortunes of the country. It’s about the perception that those “other guys” are starting to get their fair share, so that means the people who have been advantaged this whole time must be losing something.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2018 at 9:32pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Part of me hopes Oprah will actually run in 2020 so Trump will be defeated by a black woman. 

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2018 at 12:05am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I'd vote for Obama again, if that were somehow an option for 2020. He's the only competent man to have held the office of President in my adult lifetime. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 25 January 2018 at 12:08am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 444 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version