Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 June 2024 at 2:04pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

YouTube
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Acuff
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2024 at 5:19pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

After watching this interview years ago, Fry's response was perfect for me to sum up why I don't believe in any gods or supreme beings looking out for mankind.  Just about every year more and more "reasons" are added to my list, in 2022 it was Uvalde, TX adding 19.

But when you think about all the gods of old including old testament God, they were all assholes, meddling in human affairs was their thing and thus gives us stories, fables, and myths on how we thought the universe works.  So when I hear about the misery going on in the world I just think nothing really has changed since ancient times and everything is on par for the course.  A couple thousand years later and we still have to resort to some omnipotent being having the answers and reason for everything at best frustrates me but I'm firm believer people have to find out on their own.

Lewis Black has a great quote  years ago and I paraphrase: "In the Old Testament, God was all about punishing people and having them feel his wrath to keep them in line, but with the New Testament he somehow went through an anger management class and now he loves you".

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 June 2024 at 6:03pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

“He had a kid, and he mellowed.”

I don’t recall who said that, but it cracked me up. The chief problem with the OT God is that he’s too small and much too human. He doesn’t work in “mysterious ways”, he’s just a prick. (That’s from Lewis Black.)

This version was acceptable when all of Creation was a few thousand miles wide and a few thousand years old. But we need much more for the Universe as we now know it.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2024 at 6:22pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The OT God is either a bunch of different Gods (derived from texts of different languages, cultures, places and times), or else he's a single Schizophrenic with multiple personality disorder.

I did a report on Elijah in a Christian school but never did learn why exactly Baal the agrarian fertility deity was so bad other than because he wasn't 'true'. Misinformation wars go back along way with our species! God seems to be a carnivore preferring flesh (animal and human), offerings more than once, but not the vegetable harvest types of payment. The devil however is cloven-hooved.

He gave us brains but, we're not supposed to really think about this stuff? Maybe it was great when only in Latin most people didn't understand with pictures for most people so they'd just accept Mary of Magdala and the prostitute washing feet with her oily hair were the same/just as bad. Great for some. Back to crawling on the belly and eating dust for anybody else with knowledge (dare one say wicca?), or perhaps a tasteful heat-absorbing black censoring fabric in the hottest and sunniest climates.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 13 June 2024 at 6:24pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2024 at 5:08pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

People needed explanations for the world that they could understand. Many today do not understand science and so they hang on to religion, because they "get" that...

...never mind that they have barely a passing knowledge of what their religion actually says. It's "something something Jesus" and "something something eat a crumb of bread" and "something something heaven." Seriously, if most church-going Jesus lovers had to take a test on their faith, they would flunk.

Edited by Andrew Bitner on 15 June 2024 at 5:08pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version