Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Biden’s health Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2024 at 2:41am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

In the U.S. Sinclair Broadcasting has been rumbled as placing stories about Biden's failing health and mental faculties (based on nothing having actually happened concerning it) in local news programs read pretty much verbatim by possibly trusted local news readers. They've also been hyping rising crime regardless of statistics to the contrary in many of the communities they broadcast to. In Seattle KOMO was a source I long trusted as my first choice for Seattle area news and am now re-evaluating that. Apparently the same owner behind Sinclair also took over the Baltimore Sun newspaper and since then there have been many stories of staff there balking at such orders and interference from the top floors.

The information age. Here is some information. Make your own judgement.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 13 June 2024 at 2:41am
Back to Top profile | search | www

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2024 at 9:50am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Objectively neither candidate looks either physically or mentally fit enough
to run.
That neither party feels able to make the call speaks volumes of today’s
politics.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 June 2024 at 11:32am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Biden is a joke. Trump is a bad joke.

Hobson’s choice.

Back to Top profile | search

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2024 at 3:14pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

That neither party feels able to make the call speaks volumes of today’s
politics.

Correct... which I'm told means the smaller elections matter. 

Apparently voters need to make the hard choice and reshape Congress into a body of government that serves the people by voting in better representatives.

I won't hold my breath,

-C!

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2024 at 4:03pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Biden recuperated from covid pretty well (without treatments in the millions of dollars almost nobody else could have gotten), and aside from that I saw him riding a bicycle on a vacation not too long ago. I can't even ride one and I'm over twenty years younger! His much pointed to speech is how it is from dealing with a stammer, an affliction one of the most well regarded of the Roman Emporers also suffered from. Throwing him away as so many others with long records of experience and positive performance have been over superficial trifles is an unforced error.

I was more critical of him when he was VP and I think he has improved from that. I hope somehow he can make up for mishandling regarding Gaza and Israel (like the other guy wouldn't be even more gung-ho/blank check?). The majority of Israelis have not wanted Netanyahu. Anyway, the point is that there are some powerful forces who are doing the whole apathy drumming up (giving some enough reason to not vote), which they bank on, if it's working I find that sad. Even a 'lesser of evils' is making a responsible choice and I can't see how Biden in anywhere near as flawed as what else is available.

The stock market reached a new high. It's almost always been under Republican administrations there have been near catastrophic failures with it and the economy, just as it was Ronald Reagan who more than tripled the U.S. national debt and raised taxes nineteen times yet the tag of 'tax and spend liberals' persists. Some people who profit most from Democratic administrations seem not savvy enough to quit voting Republican for the short term tax cut to mostly just themselves while long term doing worse from that choice, even voting generationally that way. Of course at one time the Republicans had the high ground on race and it was southern Democrats that were segregationist etc. The hatred for Democrat Franklin Roosevelt, who led the U.S. and the stock market out of a very bad place, that you can only have two term presidencies ever since.

You could do a lot worse... ask people who shipped their products out of the Maryland major port where that ailing bridge that collapsed from lack of spending on it (despite all the bandying about of the words "infrastructure spending" it didn't actually happen until Biden) blocking huge amounts of goods from going out. Ask the people who busted a move to fix things so it could open yesterday rather than blabbing about small governments in a huge country or belt tightening (while giving themselves and their friends huge bonuses).

Sinclair tv stations lost a once loyal viewer in me. I think the laxness of U.S. broadcasting license requirements ought to be extremely obvious by now. This was not standard operating procedure in the past; was not allowing this kind of interference only needed back then? Like with the Voting Rights Act are we all so much smarter these days any danger of abuse is past? "Freedom" might as well include no traffic lights, nobody locking their doors, or requiring clothing as being able to publish and broadcast 100% lies... paradise? "Freedom" seems to include a lot of bans though forced on many, not to mention practically ignoring a lot of the constitution (where did that silly Alaska mayor with her constitution-mobile disappear to anyway?) Anarchy, as I've argued with Libertarians for ages, is not superior, not for the vast majority of people, civilization inherently requires government and representatives... or does living in fear of a "strong man" and his backers seizing power somehow look so good to to the home of the brave?

But yeah, sure, great, Biden is just a total babbling moron on the brink of popping his clogs while destroying "America" with his "crime family"... play on?

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2024 at 5:05pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

There are no savants with advanced dementia in existence who spend 20 hours a day as muppets only to rouse themselves at sundown to mastermind international criminal conspiracies and deliver ninety minute prime time policy addresses.

Someone pointed out on Twitter that clips supposedly showcasing Biden's mental health keep getting shorter while the clips featuring Trump get longer.

Political dynamics brought the Democrats to this point. (Republicans have no such excuse.) Incumbent presidents have the strongest home field advantage in national politics. Barring death or incapacity, the incumbent president has almost always been their party's nominee, and likely always will be. Any politician replacing Biden will be in a weaker position, especially now, five months before the election. Everybody calling for Biden (and Harris, for some reason) to step aside is calling for Democrats to effectively concede the White House to Trump.

So Biden is old, but whatever. There's no point in apologizing for it, particularly given the unapologetic alternative. His administration has been effective, and depending on how highly one values the Affordable Care Act, arguably the most effective Democratic administration since Johnson's.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 June 2024 at 5:08pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

…arguably the most effective Democratic administration since Johnson's.

•••

Damning with faint praise.

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2024 at 5:40pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

"Incumbent presidents have the strongest home field advantage in national politics... Any politician replacing Biden will be in a weaker position, especially now, five months before the election. Everybody calling for Biden (and Harris, for some reason) to step aside is calling for Democrats to effectively concede the White House to Trump."

At this point I agree with you, but I think there are many Democrats who would have outperformed Biden in the general election if he had stepped aside early, or chosen not to run.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2024 at 5:57pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I think more than this supposed terrible mental and physical health drumming it's the Gaza and southern border actions that will lose the election for Biden.

Watching various news this morning I remembered that reporters were supposedly now "enemies of the people", strange that people who say that are defending these ones on the local news programs of Sinclair stations. I suppose it's "enemies" unless they parrot verbatim (using their credibility) what their station owner hands down regardless of anything new or real behind it? They must fall in line if they can't afford to go and start their own, because a Saudi Royal might off them or somesuch.

Herman Cain is one business owner who did real well under a Republican administration... regardless of what his family may claim after the fact, it cost him his life. Dead is not a good look for any balance sheet.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2024 at 6:06pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Meanwhile in Canada: reporters are being exposed who have published or broadcast, often paid for, verbatim People's Republic of China "information" here. We are a bit slow on this as it was pretty much all being done in Chinese language media here. This is tied in with election interference and a past member of our Parliament which has been big news up here lately. Also there has been some of the same from the government of India to combat militant Sikhs here (remember the Air India bombing that also killed a Japanese baggage handler)... again, in non-English or non-French media. If things are clearly labelled what they are and by whom there is no real problem, it's when you get someone local you have built some familiarity and trust in, or even just something saying it is "the news" (as in not editorial comment/opinion) where things get wiggly. When someone is disseminating completely false health information that can harm and has harmed the public, and they do not face penalties for it the situation is pretty bad. If RT "News" and Al Jazeera can be blocked some places it's not like it can't be done... we used to block Fox "News" but when I filed all the detailed paperwork with times and programs of vaccine and related misinformation, eventually it came out as "we have no sway with a foreign broadcaster" (broadcaster is Fox's term for themselves), so you must petition the private cable companies. Like the FCC our CRTC and other public welfare oversight instruments have been hollowed out so gradually few are aware of it or what the results of that are. Many still have a "they couldn't publish or broadcast it if it weren't true" ideal even with what's on the internet, rarely have those words meant so little (remember The Maine?).

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 13 June 2024 at 6:13pm

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2024 at 6:09pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

It's Gaza that hurts Biden from the left, and the border one the right.  I think similarly to the weird bullshit about Hillary, the age thing is one that the right and far left buy into with equal credulity.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 June 2024 at 6:21pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Credulity? He’s an OLD MAN.

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version