Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 291 Next >>
Topic: Pencil Practice -- and Beyond! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 December 2018 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I keep thinking about those lines. For someone not at all artistic like myself, it's not until I see those that I realise how much thought goes into the panels to create the interesting angles. I'd just draw everything flat from the side if I could draw at all.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 December 2018 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Once again, excellent use of perspective. I'm sure you mentioned this in the past but for those of us new to the forum, how are you creating those faint perspective lines?

••

I have an architect's drafting machine mounted on my drawing board. The actual purpose of this is to provide a straight edge for drawing parallel lines, but since it it mounted on a rotating hub I quickly realized it could be used to create the kinds of forced perspectives common in comic art.

I also use a set square (triangle) for vanishing points closer than the hub of the machine.

(For those who sometimes have difficulty understanding this, the machine does not do the drawing. It's just a fancy straight edge (ruler). I still have to calculate the vanishing points (by eye) and draw the lines.)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 December 2018 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I keep thinking about those lines. For someone not at all artistic like myself, it's not until I see those that I realise how much thought goes into the panels to create the interesting angles. I'd just draw everything flat from the side if I could draw at all.

••

A long time ago, at a con, a fan showed me his sketchbook. It was an ordinary ruled notebook, but he had filled the pages with drawings of cars, quite exquisitely detailed, none more than a couple of inches long--and all from the back, side, or front. No angles, no perspective.

I asked him, since he had nailed the flat drawings, if he had considered angled shots, but the concept seemed completely alien to him.

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2018 at 7:21am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Think it's something you have or don't have, like the mutant gene. My step-daughter, who is a budding artist, is hoping to go to University to study illustration. She is very good at seeing 3D-geometry and is able to grasp, very quickly, how objects interconnect. Something that my brain takes a lot longer to manage, if at all.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2018 at 7:47am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

That is a very nice page. I especially like the second panel. The relaxation in Wolverine's right arm is the type of subtle visual element that comes up quite a bit in JB's work and conveys what is going on without being explicit. You get a sense of a JB character based on how they "carry" themselves and their body language.

Blair Herd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2018 at 9:11am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Pencils seem to be tightening and sharpening up.  Your "practice" is taking hold of the internet as fans dream of something they never thought they's ever see again.  Thanks for sharing.  There are no words to describe you rendering this long lost team again....
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2018 at 11:01am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

What a beautiful page!

So much expression, so much character in that last panel...I can feel Scott's urgency, Ororo's unease (and her graceful composure), and Logan's pent-up energy. 

Every page you share is a treat. It's like visiting with friends I haven't seen for thirty years, and thought I'd never see again!

Edited by Ted Downum on 10 December 2018 at 11:01am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 December 2018 at 11:34am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

On those tight pencils—and realizing once again that I will be feeding the trolls by saying this—I’ve actually found the tighter pencils make the drawing EASIER! It’s as if I’ve spent the last >choke< forty years fighting my own hand, and now I’m slipping back into a familiar and comfortable glove.

Weird.

Gundars Berzins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2018 at 11:48am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

That's one heck of a glove JB!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2018 at 11:53am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

JB: On those tight pencils—and realizing once again that I will be feeding the trolls by saying this—I’ve actually found the tighter pencils make the drawing EASIER! It’s as if I’ve spent the last >choke< forty years fighting my own hand, and now I’m slipping back into a familiar and comfortable glove.

--

Just curious, if you've adjusted how you hold your pencil on these higher pages?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 December 2018 at 11:54am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Nope.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 December 2018 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

BTW, seeing the page reduced here, I’ve realized the concentric circles on top of the dome are out of perspective, and corrected ‘em.

<< Prev Page of 291 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version