Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 291 Next >>
Topic: Pencil Practice -- and Beyond! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2018 at 8:38am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

what's completely amazing is that the characters look almost exactly as they did during the original run.  Scarlet Witch looks like she did as drawn by you 40ish years ago.  Same for the rest of the X-men you've previewed.  You've stated in the past that you've had pretty specific "models" for a lot of the characters, have any of those models changed over the years?  (by the way, YOUR Jean Grey and Phoenix were my first comic book crushes---"crushes" because they were 2 completely different women)
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 November 2018 at 8:41am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I should note that when I use "models" for my characters, I do not mean I am seeking exactly likenesses. Just a sort of general sense of the person, that gives me a hook into the characters.

Can't recall any original "casting" changing over the years. Closest would be that it sometimes took me years to find a suitable face. Lorna Dane, for instance. I did not have a face in mind (except one Neal Adams had drawn) when I was working on UNCANNY, but by the time I did HIDDEN YEARS she had become Jennifer Aniston.

Neal's version:

Richard Palmgren
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2018 at 11:00am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Thanks for the answer!  

I didn't mean to imply you were trying for the exact likeness, but rather using the "models" as a rough starting point:  Jean is only Jean, no matter who she started as 

(which is kinda a very meta statement about Jean)

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2018 at 2:50pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I like the streamlined Nightcrawler a LOT.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Dale E Ingram
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2018 at 9:17am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Looking at that Nightcrawler image a few pages back, I was reminded what a cool, weird character design Dave's original design was.Flattening out his shoulder flares streamlines him while still staying true to the design.

I've always appreciated your faithfulness to Dave's designs while remaining completely your own artist. Your Kurt is leaner, with a different posture that makes perfect sense for a guy shaped like him. He's always crouching, never standing straight up. Dave did the same thing but in a different way. I can look at a Byrne Nightcrawler and a Cockrum Nightcrawler and although they're very different, I still see the same guy.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 November 2018 at 10:49am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I can look at a Byrne Nightcrawler and a Cockrum Nightcrawler and although they're very different, I still see the same guy.

••

Thanks!

This is something that has increasingly become a source of great annoyance for me: artist who take a "This is how I draw!" attitude to existing characters, instead of working to make it seem everyone is looking at the same live model.

Being On Model, of course, has very much become a thng of the past. Hardly anyone rides herd on rock-star artists and writers.

Paul Wills
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2018 at 11:50am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I'm wondering what got the ball rolling on this awesome project - was it just the fact of drawing the wolverine/sauron page on a whim?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2018 at 12:29pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I knew Wolverine wasn't allowed to smoke these days -- but I guess he's also no longer allowed to drink?

Marvel just restarted 'Uncanny X-Men' -- the first issue featured a "Hidden Gem" wraparound variant cover featuring Cockrum art... sans Wolverine's beer. 

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2018 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 November 2018 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Here's a weird one:

Looking back thru various Sentinel appearances, all the way back to their debut, and it seems as if I was the first to draw them with their mouths open--and with that Doctor Doom like grating inside.

Is that possible?

Tony Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2018 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Well, I do know you were the first to make them scary. That two-partner changed this 12-year-olds entire point of view of them. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2018 at 2:08pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Nathan that is so strange.  He can't be pictured holding a can of beer?  What a world.  It reminds of the spanking scene way back in this threat - totally harmless fun that some went bananas over. 

<< Prev Page of 291 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version