Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 291 Next >>
Topic: Pencil Practice -- and Beyond! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 November 2018 at 12:26am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

But you defeat your own argument. Kirby designed the uniforms one way, which changed. The changed versions became the accepted versions. Then Dave made his own changes, which in turn became accepted—until I made my own changes, which became accepted...

And, again, I don’t want to sell this book purely on nostalgia.

Back to Top profile | search

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2018 at 2:56am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Not being familiar with Artists Edition, I have to ask...In the event IDW publishes this project and not Marvel, would these pages appear as stories with dialogue or just as pencilled pages ?

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 18 November 2018 at 9:53am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Fantastic Scarlet Witch page!!!  It’s so exciting to see this evolve!

Charles Nelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2018 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Hey JB, speaking for myself, I think nostalgia or curiosity may get people to pick up the book, but we all know that the art and story will be better than anything else out there. 
That having been said, I know that the costumes changed over the years before the ones during your run. It's just my preference to see them the way they were during your run on the book -  at least at first. Changes happening slowly during your, say, 5 year run on Elsewhen would seem "real" the way they did during your first run.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 November 2018 at 10:10am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

…better than anything else out there.

••

I don't think that's entirely fair. I've seen a number of very good artists working at Marvel in recent years. Better than me, in a lot of cases.

(I won't name names, lest some interpret a name left out as some kind of snub.)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 November 2018 at 10:29am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Not being familiar with Artists Edition, I have to ask...In the event IDW publishes this project and not Marvel, would these pages appear as stories with dialogue or just as pencilled pages ?

••

The recent version of the Kirby/Kane PRISONER issues printed the scripts in the back. That might be a way to go with this.

Bill Dowling
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2018 at 2:30pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I won’t ask for examples for the same reason you don’t want to list examples of artists you think are good, but are there any current Marvel comics that you think are good? (Not just the art, the whole package, art and story)?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 November 2018 at 2:43pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I only look at the pictures.

Jim Petersman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2018 at 5:27pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

That Avenger's page is spectacular! It would appear that whatever evolution took place on JB's faces remains in full effect here. Wanda has never looked better. But I have to admit that it is the first 2 panels that have me longing for this to see print. I am a huge fan of JB's skylines and interior shots. Best comic book set creator out there.

I feel 40 years younger already!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 November 2018 at 7:13pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

One of the things I’ve found repeatedly in young folk who want to be comicbook artists is that they HATE drawing backgrounds. What I tell them is simple: if you hate drawing something, draw it and draw it and draw it until you don’t.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2018 at 8:42pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Cool! I was exposed to Byrne Avengers a few months before any X-Men. Would this be roughly their line-up post Avengers #200? I definitely preferred the mostly black and red arrow motif Wasp outfit over all others, and almost anything to that white and pale blue one with one arm and one leg exposed, but she could have something entirely different if appearing at all.

European comics have a high standard in backgrounds, even in the funny comics, while Japanese actually have assistant artists who specialize in just backgrounds and/or machinery. Ross Andru has been cited as one of the best Americans for attention to backgrounds, but I've noticed lots of interesting furniture, walls and drapes as well as clothing in the best of Byrne.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Steve Gumm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2018 at 9:33pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

How cool to see the Sentinal busting into Avengers mansion. I’m excited to see how that turns out, It is nice to see you playing in the sandbox that SOOO many of us just totally dig... the best part of this is that so many barnacles are knocked off the boat. Your artwork is looking great!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 291 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version