Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 291 Next >>
Topic: Pencil Practice -- and Beyond! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2018 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I always felt that way about the danger room. I Thought it was pretty extreme for training students - one wrong move and it's curtains! I remember Kitty accidentally walked in and all hell broke loose trying to save her.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2018 at 2:17pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Neal Adams and John Byrne made the Danger Room worth visiting. I really
found it underwhelming in anyone else's hands.

As a concept, it seems strange if we actually imagine an X-Man dying in there.
But in the right hands, it has yielded several unforgettable sequences.

I would love to see another, but if this series happens and the Danger Room
just never comes up, I bet I won't miss it.
Back to Top profile | search

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2018 at 2:24pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Oh, wait!! I love a couple of the Danger Room scenes that Jack Kirby drew.

I think the Danger Room represents some of the "School for Gifted
Youngsters" elements that felt less important in the All-New, All-Different era.
The Danger Room was extreme required-coursework .

With new students to train, maybe Xavier would consider finding a wiser
method of training.

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2018 at 2:52pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Dang. As mark mentioned, there really hasn't been a good Danger Room scene since your run. 

We aren't going to have to learn New Math are we?

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2018 at 10:57pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

"New Math! Ne-ew-ew Math! It won't do you a bit of good to learn New Math! It's so simple! So very simple! That only a child can do it!"

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2018 at 11:10pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

One of the things I'm most anticipating with the possibility of this going forward is the thought exercise aspect of looking at what was done prior to JB's departure and extrapolating entirely different outcomes based upon a different interpretation of the events behind them.

Jean theoretically isn't in a pod in Jamaica Bay. She's right there and always has been, which means the Phoenix entity as shown to date, as a cosmic "Mother of Stars" and Shiva-like force of apocalyptic destruction, is up for grabs. Wolverine and the Weapon X project will likely be unlike anything shown in the BWS series or since. X-Factor likely goes away as does X-Force and all the others. There is likely no Mr. Sinister in Scott's past directing his life for him. Likely no space pirate father. 

Nothing established after the point of JB's departure can be assumed. The "divergence point" in this "alternate reality" is behind the scenes rather than on-panel. That opens the very best version of the New X-Men to a clear, untrammeled future, with endless possibilities ahead. It's almost as if my teenage self has a new issue to look forward to. That's pretty potent. 

Plus, it's just fun to imagine the team up against Modok.*

* I have a pun I want to do involving the X-Men up against this character, but on the off chance it might touch upon a plot point that actually appears, I'll hold off until the story appears in print, either here or in a Marvel comic. I only hope I can remember it then. :-)

Edited by Brian Hague on 07 November 2018 at 11:18pm

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2018 at 11:21pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I mentioned that my younger me has something to look forward to in the months ahead. It occurs to me that all he had ahead of him the next month in this reality... was D'Spayre.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 November 2018 at 8:23am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Jean theoretically isn't in a pod in Jamaica Bay.

••

No reason to assume that.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 November 2018 at 8:52am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Interesting moment, today. For the first time I have, at least partially, run out of steam. Why, you ask? Well, one of my least favorite jobs is flashbacks where I basically draw variations on other people's work. Unavoidable, in this instance, but brought on a sharp drop in energy.

Tomorrow, a new page, and back to "normal". I hope!!

Mark McKay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2018 at 9:08am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I have a friend who, whenever I talk about aspects of my job I don't enjoy, says "that's why they call it work!"

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 November 2018 at 9:23am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I have a friend who, whenever I talk about aspects of my job I don't enjoy, says "that's why they call it work!"

••

Artwork! It's right there in the name!

Manuel Soler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2018 at 3:43pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Jean theoretically isn't in a pod in Jamaica Bay. She's right there and always has been, which means the Phoenix entity as shown to date, as a cosmic "Mother of Stars" and Shiva-like force of apocalyptic destruction, is up for grabs. Wolverine and the Weapon X project will likely be unlike anything shown in the BWS series or since. X-Factor likely goes away as does X-Force and all the others. There is likely no Mr. Sinister in Scott's past directing his life for him. Likely no space pirate father. 

Nothing established after the point of JB's departure can be assumed. The "divergence point" in this "alternate reality" is behind the scenes rather than on-panel. That opens the very best version of the New X-Men to a clear, untrammeled future, with endless possibilities ahead. It's almost as if my teenage self has a new issue to look forward to. That's pretty potent. 

Well, IMO the real divergence point is Jean Grey gaining the Phoenix powers instead of "simply" being replaced by the Phoenix Entity using a duplicate body, so it should be in X-Men #100-101! Jean's lobotomy in X-Men #137 is a posterior divergence. This was the situation that theoretically lead to the Days of Future Past's reality, that I suppose Mr.Byrne may decide to avoid/change/ignore.
It's in Mr.Byrne's hands to decide what will be the "real" situation/premise in Elsewhen.

About Danger Room scene, I like some of the following scenes where you don't have "death"-level threats!

<< Prev Page of 291 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version