Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 291 Next >>
Topic: Pencil Practice -- and Beyond! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 11:12am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Maybe we should bump this discussion to its own thread?
Back to Top profile | search

Steve Green
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 11:17am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Steve Coates: "Considering the timing of the creation and publication of Captain America, I doubt any thought was given to what the US Army might like and more consideration was given to the target audience."

I was not referring to the real US Army, but to the fictitious US Army as shown in the comic. Suspension of disbelief, etc.

I agree with Mr Byrne about setting up a separate thread, although I doubt I have any more to say on this topic. 

Edited by Steve Green on 02 November 2018 at 11:20am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Let's not.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 12:00pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

So strange. I have longtime friends and relatives who have said things I disagreed with etc., when did it become some kind of ultra serious mind police obsession dissecting (more accurately projecting on to) someone from a distance  and boycotting and so forth? I probably would've found Steve Ditko's opinions of political social issues different from my own, but he made some great comics I really enjoy, why deprive myself of those on some extreme principle? I also have a favorite '60s group I found out later were Mormons and a lot of their lyrics were about that... stioll think it's great music and the lyrics are interesting. Never going to convert though, sorry.

I hope things get back to a more balanced place for everyone's sakes. Oddly for all the obsessive nitpicking and judging we have it okay to support an objectively worst liar ever in politics and people who can laud and celebrate the songs of Charles Manson without feeling any shame. Not to be disrespectful but things John Byrne has said are small potatoes at most and appeared in fanzines, not the NY Times. I have known all kinds of people and varieties and I can't understand a Caitlyn Jenner either, so what? Do I have to? Not like someone trying to promote hate which we do see more and more and that is always wrong.

Less absolutism, more slack (where appropriate), like for someone making comic books! Anyway, Mr. Byrne would have nothing on Robert Crumb I'd have to think, sheesh! He can do his thing in the New Yorker which is fine by me but boy did he let it all hang out in those undergrounds!

I want to enable and communicate, not shut down or cite some set of thou shalt nots and come out superior. I would think enabling John Byrne X-Men would be a no-brainer, we really never got enough of it!

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Came across this... I had never read the issue but I found a synopsis online...

I feel confident saying it's NOT the story we'd see from JB. 

Same with this one...

Edited by Nathan Greno on 02 November 2018 at 12:34pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 12:39pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

As I noted in the SyFy interview, I am not the first to do this, tho I am the first to attempt it as an ongoing series—and, if I may, my version might have a higher degree of, shall we say, credibility.

Also, unlike various oneshots, this series would not be ABOUT Phoenix/Jean surviving.

Manuel Soler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 12:54pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I really dislike the What If? #27 (1st series) and specially the cover. If you look at Phoenix's face it almost seems as Phoenix is a man! 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 2:13pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The x-men asked. 

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 2:36pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

That's a Frank Miller cover on #27 (one of the earliest self-inked drawings, at that).

And I recall that the explanation used for the divergence was pretty much lifted from the unpublished ending.

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 4:04pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

That's a Frank Miller cover on #27 (one of the earliest self-inked drawings, at that).

And I recall that the explanation used for the divergence was pretty much lifted from the unpublished ending.

----

Hmm. Doesn't sound anything like the unpublished version based on this online summary of issue 27... 

Uatu ponders over the story of the Jean Grey as the Phoenix and recalls her journey alongside the X-Men. He sees an alternate reality where she did not die during the incursion with the Shi'ar. In this alternate reality, she was reborn again and when the X-Men are called to battle Galactus and Terrax in the Shi'ar galaxy, she unleashes the Phoenix force. She stops Galactus and is thanked by Lilandra for this. She begins to be overwhelmed by the Phoenix force and destroys asteroids and a small star. Upon returning to the X-Mansion, Shadowcat chastises her for destroying another star. Jean again delves into the Dark Phoenix form and destroys Shadowcat. The X-Men try to stop her and she kills Polaris as well. Cyclops tries to stop her and she kills him. This causes her to be engulfed in the Phoneix force and she destroys the Earth, ever-expanding to consume the Universe and beyond.

http://http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/What_If%3F_Vol_1_27

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 4:20pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

JB: As I noted in the SyFy interview, I am not the first to do this, tho I am the first to attempt it as an ongoing series—and, if I may, my version might have a higher degree of, shall we say, credibility.

---

As a kid, reading issues of What If always left me with a feeling of, "Well I'm glad things didn't turn out like THAT." 

For the most part, it felt like a series designed to show fans that Marvel had been making the right decisions all along. 

It's interesting to think of fans possibly thinking the opposite after reading your (proposed) series. "What If Marvel Got It Wrong?" 

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 4:45pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I still wish Marvel would let JB correct (Let's not use the 3-letter "f" word.) everything wrong over there with his Shaper of Worlds idea.

<< Prev Page of 291 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version